BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OPENING UP, THIS E-MO-TION
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post May 6 2017, 01:04 PM
Post #1
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

In the wake of renowned idiot Piers Morgan causing yet another shitstorm by telling men to "man up" instead of speaking up about their mental health and not seeming like "real men like James Bond" (a fictional character babe but ok x), instead keeping it private. How are you at dealing with or sharing your emotions? What do you think about speaking about mental health and other struggles? Do you think that men should increasingly speak up about such things? It shouldn't really a question but I know certain people probably won't agree kink.gif Share your hatred of Piers Morgan and perpetuated gender stereotypes here ~

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 6 2017, 01:04 PM
Post #2
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

I think he is such a twat, to say the least, and his words are so damaging. Gender is a social construct perpetuated by idiots like him who tell us what we can and can't be, there is not a single cell in our biology that dictates that men can't be depressed or lonely or hopeless, other than the tenuous link that we are bigger and stronger than the poor dainty ladies plagued by hysteria and hormones rolleyes.gif Mental illness doesn't discriminate, it won't leave you alone because you're a big strong manly male... Whether you're a 5ft petite lady or a 6ft hulking man, it can suck you down and I really wish people like Piers bloody Morgan would realise that.

Of course it is important to speak to those closest to you, whether that's family or your best friends, or some proper like a doctor, but I really believe that to stop the stigma around opening up about how you feel or how you're struggling, people need to speak up in the public sphere as well. A brilliant recent example is Prince Harry who spoke of how he "shut down" when he was younger following his mum's death, and had dealings with professionals to sort things out. Lady Gaga is another example of someone who is brilliant with this, as someone who's struggled myself, and i know this sounds silly, it does somewhat help when you realise that you aren't alone. Of course you know you're not alone but when you see that a royal or one of the biggest popstars in the world struggle too, people can see that there is no shame in opening up, whether you're A-List, a single mother, a teacher, whatever. If no celebrities or public figures do that, we just keep this annoyingly British thing of keeping a "stiff upper lip" and not talking about these things because they're always presented as being a bit awkward. It shouldn't be.

Personally I don't have any problems opening up to my friends, I used to as a younger teenager but now I have a stronger circle of friends and a good support network who I know understand and I can talk I make sure that I go to them rather than bottle things up. Even if it's something I feel I can't talk to them about that's making me feel down, I feel like I can post on here and share it with people I know relate and understand. One thing I know, and we should all know and understand, is that keeping it to yourself is never healthy and never helps. Of course for many people it's easier said than done if they feel alone and isolated with nobody to help, but public figure spouting utter shite about keeping it to yourself certainly helps nobody, we need more Lady Gagas and Prince Harrys and less Piers Morgans (goes without saying ofc...) :/

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post May 6 2017, 01:12 PM
Post #3
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

Yeah I'm about a closed book as you can get, I perpetrate the British stereotype of a stiff upper lip and a just carry on regardless mentality.

Piers is the scum of the earth and he defo harms people who do have mental health issues from coming forwards and getting the help they need and to further perpetrate this myth that somehow you are lesser for suffering with MHissues.

Personally, the thing that stops me speaking out is more of my own personality and just a lack of self-confidence and belief. Like my thoughts of why would anyone want to bother with my issues combined with being quite empathetic so more of a listener and advice giver when it comes to these kind of topics.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post May 6 2017, 01:21 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

I find it extremely hard to open up, but that's down to experience rather than stereotype. I certainly appreciate the fact that it's always healthier to talk about things though and no-one should be shamed into silence. I can be a bit cynical myself when it comes to celebrities talking about their problems, certainly some celebs like to make a career out of it, but then I realise that those people are the minority and it's usually a case of the media making it seem like they are broadcasting it from the rooftops for attention, when in fact they've opened up in a relevant circumstance or situation to help others or encourage discussion.

I can appreciate that one has to take responsibility for themselves which I feel could be the gist of what the likes of Piers Morgan are trying to say, but the way they go about it does come across like they're telling people to never speak about their problems. If we don't address the issue then it's never going to ease. People, particularly youngsters who could be experiencing negative feelings for the first time, need to know that they are not alone or that the things they are experiencing are, in want for a better phrase, 'normal' symptoms.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 6 2017, 04:24 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,161

manson.gif Comments like these by ANYONE, giving off the idea that we should all bottle up our feelings permanently like robots are dangerous, a lot of suicides are because the person felt like they had no one to open to about what was going on in their lives. Thank god 99% of the population can't stand Piers Morgan anyway and won't take any notice to what he says laugh.gif

I've always been one who's found it hard opening up to anyone, even my parents because of how I think I'll be perceived. Like when I basically said f*** it and opened up to most people about why I'd been feeling down and secluded myself some were supportive but a lot of them have been really awkward with me since and have left me thinking was it really worth it sad.gif Most of the time it's just easier for me to keep myself to myself even if most things do come out eventually.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post May 8 2017, 07:25 PM
Post #6
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

So I guess I need to 'man up' after the day I've had where I literally left a classroom for 5 minutes in order to burst into tears after a class gave me such a rough time today. It's the first time I've had a moment like this in almost 6 years but I was completely pushed to my limit today. There were lots of factors involved, including one I can't really discuss involving a friend of mine where I've had to cut off the friendship immediately.

I felt shit at the time, but I'm glad I let it all out. I was in a better frame of mind for my class then.

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post May 8 2017, 07:28 PM
Post #7
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Did that cretin really say tis?

He is hardly a big man himself. Toxic masculinity is gross.

+Quote Post
Slade
post May 8 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #8
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I am a pro at spilling my heart out over internet platforms but I seem to be getting worse and worse over the years at opening up in real life. Social anxiety and feeling awkward when the conversation is about me probably coming into play there. I think it also might be to do with my change of friendship circle since I have gotten to Uni. I really WISH I was better at it because in the past opening up has done soooo much good, like I remember a simple conversation with my dad one time when I was feeling extremely low got me back on track. I tend to vent on platforms like this or Skype/Whatsapp instead because I feel like I can get what I want to say across so much better and feel more at ease about it. There are only a very select few now that I feel comfortable to open up to in person, which is at least better than 0. I hope I will improve at it when I am done with Uni and grow up more and gain more confidence socially.

Opening up about topics such as mental health is brilliant by the way. The more awareness the better.

Also, it would improve my Twitter experience a lot more if Piers Morgan's Tweets weren't quoted on my timeline. So many facepalm moments.

+Quote Post
Sqntq Clqus
post May 8 2017, 08:29 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

You should block Piers Morgan then! kink.gif

+Quote Post
Slade
post May 8 2017, 08:43 PM
Post #10
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

QUOTE(cqmerqn @ May 8 2017, 09:29 PM) *
You should block Piers Morgan then! kink.gif

Tbh I think it's mainly seeing support for some of the dross he comes out with in conjunction with the actual Tweet that makes me facepalm. Seeing my sanity restored when people tear down some of the things he says is actually rather enjoyable laugh.gif

This latest thing about opening up that he has come out with is such a dangerous statement. I may not be particularly good at opening up (in person) but I recognise the importance of it, trying to stifle that is so wrong.

+Quote Post
Sqntq Clqus
post May 8 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Not good at opening up at all really!

+Quote Post
Riser
post May 9 2017, 02:49 AM
Post #12
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

Well Piers Morgan has it completely backwards, not that anyone's surprised. For a lot of guys "manning up" and keeping issues to yourself is the easy thing to do, so not really anything to be proud of. There's still that stigma that opening up and expressing feelings (heaven forbid!!!1) is a sign of weakness when in reality it's one of the strongest things you can do. I'm terrible at it because I'm too sensitive to how the other person would react and I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable. The only way to change that is for more people to speak up about whatever makes them vulnerable, so that those who really need to open up can feel more comfortable doing so.

It seems Piers has never had a loved one lose their battle with mental illness, if he's oblivious enough to come up with crap like this. I also "enjoy" the irony of anyone who acts like emotions are the worst thing in the world when one would assume they listen to music, and musicians are some of the most vulnerable people out there laugh.gif

+Quote Post
M.
post May 10 2017, 04:04 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I just think that the personal is the global, so when someone brings attention to their own situation, they are essentially saying "this is something that is happening in the world". And of course that kinda affects us all, whether directly or indirectly. So I think it's definitely a good thing to talk about what's going on. Also because from experience I know HOW GOOD IT FEELS to just get things out of your system and get someone else's perspective and insight. Insight is my favourite thing.

I used to be very quiet about anything I went through, even when it was obvious to others that I was sad, let's say. Now I can talk about things more openly, but there still has to be a balance because there have been times where I've overwhelmed people with talking about emotional stuff! I guess it's about choosing when and how to open up.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 04:14 PM