Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GET WOKE 3 \\ Claiming Tax Relief, Not just for w*n**r bankers and the 1%!!!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
5 Silas Frøkner
post May 8 2017, 08:44 PM
Post #1
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Posts: 63,797
Member No.: 3,474
Joined: 24-May 07

Did you know that you may be entitled to Tax Relief? Yes, you! Tax Relief's are not just for the 1% and bankers! Sit back and relax in the hands and let me fill you in on a couple of basic tax reliefs that you may qualify for!

DISCLAIMER: I must stress that the information contained in this post does not constitute financial advice and is in no way connected to my employer or the chartered body that I am a member of. This is purely an information post flagging the existence of various Tax Reliefs available to you in my personal capacity as a moderator of this site. It is up to you and any financial advisor that you may elect to appoint to ensure you are eligible for any relief before applying. I am not responsible for penalties gained as a result of incorrectly applying for relief or for falsely applying for a relief that you are not eligible for.

Apologies for that but as we're talking £££ here and as my profession is well known on here, a disclaimer is necessary for some ass covering on my behalf and to ensure a disconnect between this post and my employers and chartered body.

Ok so now the legal stuff is done, let's talk how you can get Tax Relief.

How do I apply

These can be done over the phone or through a guided online form on the link in the section below. All through! You will need your NI number and you will need to have paid tax in the year you are claiming for.

How does it work

This is where it gets a little complex. Basically you need to have paid tax in the tax year in order to be able to claim these reliefs. As these are tax reliefs their purpose is to reduce the amount of taxation you pay so typically while you may apply for tax relief of £60, what you're actually going to get is the 20% tax that you paid on that £60 back. I appreciate that this may make no sense at all but at the end of the day you're getting cash back off the government and every penny helps and if I went into it in heavy detail you'd all die of boredom by the end of the first paragraph. This is the section of the site about it all and is a bit more in-depth than what I'm posting. If you're going to claim then you should defo read through this. (worth bookmarking for the future)

You cannot claim tax relief on something that your employer has provided you with expenses for

What Can I Claim For?

Ok so there are a vast number of things you can apply for so I'm going to go through a few of the more simple ones here that are likely to make a difference to y'all.


Does your work supply you with a Uniform that you must wear and that you must clean yourself? Yes? Fab you can get a Tax Relief for that! You must clean the Uniform yourself, and it must be an actual uniform like you see check out staff at Tesco wearing. Suit and Tie does not count. You can claim the relief in one of two ways. You can either provide documented receipts of money spent on cleaning your uniform or you can claim a flat rate payment. If you work retail, the flat rate is going to be worth more. If you have a more specialist role and your uniform requires dry cleaning claiming based on actual expenditure may be better.

The link below is to the list of occupations that are eligible for a flat rate payment. If you are not explicitly on this list, e.g. you work for high street retail, you may still be eligible for a flat rate of £60.

Business Milage

Most companies will reimburse any miles that you do for business purposes (not commuting to and from your work location), if they don't or it falls below the HMRC rate then you may be entitled to a payment or a top-up relief from HMRC. Current rate is 45p per mile that you do in your own vehicle. If you have a company car, keep receipts of what you pay to refuel the vehicle as HMRC can top-up the relief you get on business usage that your employer does not cover.

Travelling for work

If your work is sending you away on business to another office, another site or on a training course for example. Then you may be able to claim tax relief on the amount of money that you spend on travel and subsistence including your overnight hotel bill. This is only where your employer does not give you expenses for your trip.

Professional Fees

If you are a member of a professional body that is on this list:

You may be able to apply for tax relief on your subscription fees that have not been paid by an employer.


These are a couple of basic reliefs that can save you money. If you work retail then I recommend you get on the Uniform one NOW. You can claim 4 tax years previously so if you've been paying tax in any of these years get the f*** on it my friends. I'm digging out professional fees to reclaim this weekend personally from when it wasn't covered by an employer. You don't have to be wealthy to get tax breaks, you just need to know what is available to you as Joe pleb.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Emily Haines
post May 8 2017, 08:50 PM
Post #2
Gunshot Glitter™
Group: Members
Posts: 2,506
Member No.: 10,790
Joined: 15-March 10
   No Gallery Pics

cheer.gif I made my husband sign up for the uniform one as soon as we got together.

I love a money saving post. Good job Silas wub.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post May 8 2017, 08:52 PM
Post #3
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Posts: 18,100
Member No.: 21,777
Joined: 21-April 15

this is brill!!!!! as i said earlier this stuff needs to be taught in schools mellow.gif i need to get on the uniform one ohmy.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:


Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 04:18 AM