BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Posting styles, personalities and their influence
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Cucumberella
post May 10 2017, 09:48 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9,403

I know that we all take pride in being ourselves and standing separate from the rest, but it's pretty obvious that we as posters all influence each other in the way we come across whether it be memes, trends etc.

How has your posting style developed since you'd joined Buzzjack, and what effect has posting styles and personalities on Buzzjack affected you as a poster / person? Who are some of the most influential posters / posting styles that have shaped how you / others post today? Is there anything you've translated to real life situations?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post May 10 2017, 09:51 PM
Post #2
brerqr & mqh are floppqs!!
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think it has changed much at all. I just do me lmao.

+Quote Post
Cody S. Berry
post May 10 2017, 10:14 PM
Post #3
Karma's not a liar, she keeps receipts
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I feel that as you progress, you start gaining a bit more sophistication on your posts and not just flying blind and posting the first thing that comes to your head (unless you're Joseph who has information about everything and their mother so he gets a free pass), and on top of that you start deciding when to post. Like if I felt that I don't really have much to say about something then I just don't post tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Iz~
post May 11 2017, 12:08 AM
Post #4
hipstoria
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 12,929

When I first joined I was always, and I knew I was doing this, taking posting influences from the popular people of the time, Tirren, Dandy, 152chris, you, Leww, Johnkm, etc. The important thing was, I'd be reading a variety of people and never letting it become anything more than influences, as I knew at the time also that if you go too blatant with copying one person's style then people cotton on but I was also trying to develop my own voice and not be someone that people forgot about. So basically it was a some non-capitalisation there, CAPITALS for emphasis here, talking in lexicon I hadn't used before, taking part in the banter of the day just because I'd been exposed to it, all to forge my own personality out of the bast*rdised pieces of everyone else's.

And I guarantee that this happens to everyone, I mean, for most people here, if ever you've used *.* you've been influenced into thinking that that's what Buzzjack uses when something is awesome and you're fitting in.

I expect I still do it now but I'm more comfortable in my position here now so when I notice what I'm doing it tends to be more actively resisting the latest Buzzmeme that seems useless in a desperate attempt to keep my individuality alive.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post May 11 2017, 08:06 AM
Post #5
Paul Hyett
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

I tend to sugar-coat my opinions here more than I used to, but even so, I still seem to rub certain people up the wrong way without even trying.

I don't believe it is just me though, as people nowadays have been taught to take offence at comments that would simply have been laughed off, 30 years ago.

+Quote Post
danG
post May 11 2017, 09:08 AM
Post #6
putting the DAN (feat. Quavo) in dance music
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I'd say I took a lot of influence from Bré in my posting style and other various buzz memes.

+Quote Post
Dusty Muffin
post May 11 2017, 09:31 AM
Post #7
Nothing can beat a nice dusty buttered muffin and a cup of tea
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

It took me a while to realise what the term 'teas' in a non hot drink way meant!

+Quote Post
Silas
post May 11 2017, 09:33 AM
Post #8
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

QUOTE(vidcapper @ May 11 2017, 09:06 AM) *
I don't believe it is just me though, as people nowadays have been taught to take offence at comments that would simply have been laughed off, 30 years ago.

Just because people laughed doesn't mean they weren't just as offensive then.

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post May 11 2017, 10:28 AM
Post #9
brerqr & mqh are floppqs!!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Вuzzjack @ May 11 2017, 10:31 AM) *
It took me a while to realise what the term 'teas' in a non hot drink way meant!

You do know what Google is right? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
lotita
post May 11 2017, 10:29 AM
Post #10
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

my posting style has definitely changed quite alot over my past couple of years on buzzjack! i remember using having to ask lindsey to explain so many things when i joined :') i'd say my posting style now is influenced by a jakewild x john mashup (aka who i associate with using capitals perfectly) with worse grammar

+Quote Post
Klaus
post May 11 2017, 10:49 AM
Post #11
😶
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I often absorb different words from people irl without realising it so I would definitely say I've become an amalgamation of different people's posting styles over the years unintentionally. The capital letters is probably one of the main ones and I often have to restrain my usage.

I think my posts have become longer over the past year or so too.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post May 11 2017, 01:36 PM
Post #12
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

I learned to actually proofread and spell check before I post laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Tombo
post May 11 2017, 01:46 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 9,543

I like to post quick messages as I just don't have the time or the want to write really long replies to everything. I enjoy commenting on things and I like to make my voice heard.

Songs and artists I like get criticised all the time so I like to give as good as I get.

I like the diversity of music styles represented on the site.

I don't feel like I am in the "in crowd" of the forum, I am more on the fringe of things.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post May 11 2017, 02:22 PM
Post #14
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(l♀tita @ May 11 2017, 11:29 AM) *
my posting style has definitely changed quite alot over my past couple of years on buzzjack! i remember using having to ask lindsey to explain so many things when i joined :') i'd say my posting style now is influenced by a jakewild x john mashup (aka who i associate with using capitals perfectly) with worse grammar

saw a post where i'd used a captial earlier and gagged

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post May 11 2017, 02:40 PM
Post #15
All songs should chart like the NHS Choir (feat. Quavo)
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think I had a real 'posting personality' when I first joined - I just stated the flat out obvious (I've found a post where I've managed to bend a video about a thieving seagull into a complaint about how boring the UK charts were heehee.gif ) and I've always tried to make people laugh with witty comments, but I think my posting style has adapted to (but clearly not become) some of the people I'm closer to, but not in a way in which I would isolate anyone else.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 11 2017, 02:42 PM
Post #16
Balegdah
Member No.: 10,139

I'm so bad (or good, it's not wholly a bad thing) at picking up people's mannerisms, phrases they use etc., on here and in real life. Like I can't help myself using :'), teas, yaass, stuff like that from the internet laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Quavo (ft Quavo)
post May 11 2017, 04:19 PM
Post #17
[vs. Quavo, Quavo & Quavo] (Quavo Remix) -
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

I'd say my posting style was influenced by Joseph and Dan equally, might just be that they're both chart stans like myself but in the chart forum I've found myself having a (slightly more enthusiastic and less intelligent) posting style like theirs.

Tbh my sarcasm comes through wherever I'm posting, I can't count the amount of times I've just straight up said 'well this is f***ing shite isn't it' over something not really that shit, think as much as I try not to be I'll always be dry :')

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 11 2017, 05:07 PM
Post #18
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

When I first joined my posting was an absolute mess laugh.gif all the clichés of a chart loon like posting several pointless iTunes updates (about a Glee song that has risen like one place to #67 laugh.gif) and I also used way too many emoticons, including the unironic use of smile.gif frequently. I was 13 though when I joined the forum to be fair which explains the noobiness. I don't think I was comfortable with my posting style until I was about 17, when I properly started fitting in on here and portrayed myself better. My regular posting style is pretty standard with caps and structured sentences (no quirks like non-caps or indents rly), unless it's a less serious one sentence post with subtle humour interwoven. Definitely some BuzzJack things included though (also I used 'rly' in just the last sentence, I do have a few words on here that I will shorten laugh.gif) like 'slay' and '*.*', like Liam I tend to pick up lingo quickly and incorporate it if I'm a fan.

The only poster I can remember emulating a tiny bit was Kath a few years ago, I had a short phase where I used GIFs and looking back that seemed so forced:') I was still 16 and finding my feet here though. Nowadays I think a natural comparison in some ways is to Bré, just because we spend so much time in each other's company that it's natural that we pick up each other's habits (Suedehead pointed out in the rate that we use each other's fave words!), also I think I have a bit of Mattias in me on the essay front. I also really like the posting styles from the likes of Noahspike and Iz - I wish I came across more articulate like that! Really though I just do me and admire all kind of posting styles from Leww to Qassandra from afar.

+Quote Post
Harlot
post May 11 2017, 05:28 PM
Post #19
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 11,709

I think because I had gone through a few years in the HARSH training ground that was Moopy before joining up here, I had already pretty much ironed out/nailed on my posting style by the time I got here. Plus being IN with the lounge mods at the time was obviously a great way to get a foot in the door too.

I haven't really been around enough of late to really notice posting styles, but there definitely seems to be a higher degree of homogenisation now than there used to be. Perhaps because the site has now become a lot more social/Lounge focused again, which is absolutely a good thing, plus all the off site chats help build that community feel.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post May 11 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #20
Always Watching...
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I'm pretty sure everyone imitated those around them (especially the popular members) when they start out on here, that's true for pretty much everything in life (I've been doing it irl pretty much all year in my teaching practice!), The likes of gooddelta, Iz, Dandy* and Bre (or maybe that was cos we seemed to have the same opinions on everything kink.gif) influenced my style a lot back in the day, I wasn't 'hipster' enough to try to be like leww or jakewild but I still abuse ~ a hell of a lot!

I'm not that much different these days, but I'm a bit more calm and reserved and do tend to instinctively know when to add something and am a bit more selective than just jumping in anywhere, and less reliant on emoticons and poor grammar which can always be a good thing! I can't help but still use *.* and :') a lot, never teas or ha though, that's too far.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: May 11 2017, 05:57 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017 - 01:51 AM