BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NHS victim of Worldwide Ransomware attack, 74 countries affected by mass cyber attack
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Silas
post May 12 2017, 09:08 PM
Post #1
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39899646

A huge worldwide cyberattack has taken down a substantial number of NHS Trusts and GP Surgeries across England and Scotland. NHS say no patient data has been compromised.

The PM confirmed that this has been a multi-national attack affecting organisations from a variety of sectors. Common sources of cybercrime Russia and China have also been caught up in this along with Italy, India, Brazil, United States and many others

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39896393
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post May 12 2017, 09:13 PM
Post #2
brerqr & mqh are floppqs!!
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

My boss said she had something fishy going on

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post May 13 2017, 10:01 AM
Post #3
Paul Hyett
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

This sort of thing makes me glad we still *vote* manually rather than electronically... smile.gif

This post has been edited by vidcapper: May 13 2017, 10:01 AM

+Quote Post
Rooney
post May 13 2017, 04:11 PM
Post #4
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

I'm surprised there is not more comments about this! In a weird way, looking at the fallout, this is a good thing. I think it exposes the potential risk of of public services, I mean using Windows XP!? I understand rolling out a system update is expensive and a logistical nightmare, but it's an accident waiting to happen.

+Quote Post
lotita
post May 13 2017, 04:11 PM
Post #5
feminist icon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,777

I'm actually surprised something to this scale hasn't happened before :')

+Quote Post
Silas
post May 13 2017, 04:25 PM
Post #6
Surfing in paradise

QUOTE(Rooney @ May 13 2017, 05:11 PM) *
I'm surprised there is not more comments about this! In a weird way, looking at the fallout, this is a good thing. I think it exposes the potential risk of of public services, I mean using Windows XP!? I understand rolling out a system update is expensive and a logistical nightmare, but it's an accident waiting to happen.

Some are saying that it's been made worse/to happen at all because Hunt refused to fund the maintenance contract with Microsoft for them to continue to support XP and then refused the money for the upgrade to Windows 7 mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post May 13 2017, 04:28 PM
Post #7
Always Watching...
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

It's all very Mr Robot-esque isn't it? Although obviously this is a service that doesn't need this, really hope things get sorted :x

Apparently, an anonymous figure (who's younger than I am!) has managed to salvage some computers: http://news.sky.com/story/anatomy-of-a-hac...ped-it-10875234

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 13 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(vidcapper @ May 13 2017, 11:01 AM) *
This sort of thing makes me glad we still *vote* manually rather than electronically... smile.gif

Very true. It may be old-fashioned, but it's also hack-proof.

QUOTE(Rooney @ May 13 2017, 05:11 PM) *

The Tories were quick to call Labour a shambles when their manifesto was leaked a few days ago. What does that make the government that, by not updating NHS software, has allowed this to happen? Of course updating software is a logistical nightmare, but this demonstrates why it has to be done.

Meanwhile, Amber Rudd remains determined to continue with her bid to be labelled the dimmest Home Secretary for many decades. Just weeks after she showed she had no idea what a hashtag is, she has now claimed that this incident does not show an inadequacy in the system's security. She also claimed this morning that no patient data had been accessed. Does she know this or, as is more likely, is she just guessing? At least Theresa May had the good sense to state simply that there was no evidence that patient data had been accessed. At this stage, that is probably as much as they can say.

+Quote Post
Silas
post May 14 2017, 12:33 PM
Post #9
Surfing in paradise

Just confirmed on SkyF1 that Renault S.A. and RenaultSportF1 both caught out by the worldwide hack as well.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post May 14 2017, 12:57 PM
Post #10
😶
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

The whole hacking thing just goes over my head. It's something that is just going to keep happening, although obviously this is on a MUCH larger scale with it affecting various companies worldwide.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2017 - 11:20 AM