BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should voting be made compulsory?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Compulsory Voting
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 38
Guests cannot vote 
commonsense
post May 17 2017, 05:29 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

I think it should. Discuss please.

Can a mod or admin add a poll please. Thought I had, but it hasn't appeared.

This post has been edited by Silas: May 17 2017, 05:37 PM
Reason for edit: Poll added as per request - Silas
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
liamk97
post May 17 2017, 05:30 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

I think people should vote but I wouldn't go as far as making it compulsory. How would you enforce it?

+Quote Post
commonsense
post May 17 2017, 05:32 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(liamk97 @ May 17 2017, 06:30 PM) *
I think people should vote but I wouldn't go as far as making it compulsory. How would you enforce it?

Well everyone on the electoral roll would know they had to vote or face a £1000 fine.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post May 17 2017, 05:40 PM
Post #4
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

Poll added!

I support compulsory voting but only as part of a broader package of voter engagement and the transformation of our democracy. We need PR and a better system of impartial political education that empowers young people to engage in politics and make an informed decision

+Quote Post
Klaus
post May 17 2017, 05:47 PM
Post #5
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I saw that Australia has compulsory voting but how does that work in practice.

It could be something I could get behind so long as the consequences were reasonable. I do think its disgusting that a third of the population does not use their right to vote. It could completely lt change the results if they did.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post May 17 2017, 05:48 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(common sense @ May 17 2017, 06:32 PM) *
Well everyone on the electoral roll would know they had to vote or face a £1000 fine.

Seems excessive, doesn't it? I know people may think it's a duty to be involved in the direction the country will be taken in, but other people believe differently and I don't think it's right to punish someone for not voting. It's not going to encourage people to get invested in politics either. As Silas said, even though we too disagree on the issue of compulsory voting, I think it would be much wiser to invest in something that allows impartial and straight-forward education, which feels much more positive than forcing someone to do something.

+Quote Post
Johnkm
post May 17 2017, 06:09 PM
Post #7
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

No, if for no other reason than forcing people to vote will likely just lead to even more of an imbalance with uneducated/ill informed voters (in political terms) casting their vote for whomever is most likely to win or at random or for joke parties or candidates etc.

The main focus should be in making sure people WANT to vote in the first place. Not just by having appealing policies, backing them up and making sure they actually DO THEM but by also spending the time and money to court those less likely to vote or feel like they are being listened to. Think how different (and infinitely BETTER) things could have been had the US election and Brexit taken into account the feelings of ''forgotten'' voters more.

+Quote Post
lotita
post May 17 2017, 06:10 PM
Post #8
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I don't think voting should be made compulsory, BUT political education should be.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post May 17 2017, 06:16 PM
Post #9
Surfing in paradise

QUOTE(Klaus @ May 17 2017, 06:47 PM) *
I saw that Australia has compulsory voting but how does that work in practice.

It could be something I could get behind so long as the consequences were reasonable. I do think its disgusting that a third of the population does not use their right to vote. It could completely lt change the results if they did.

As I understand it, their vote is held on a Saturday rather than a weekday to make it easier for people to get to the polls. Like voting in the UK you're marked off against the register when you collect your ballot paper and non-voters get a fine of $20. Which when you consider the minimum wage in Australia is over $15 is f*** all.

There are some cases of people being taken to court and there is the potential of a prison sentence. Most will get the tiny fine.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post May 17 2017, 06:18 PM
Post #10
Surfing in paradise

A good summary of the pro's and con's with some links to further info is available on the Australian Election Commission website here: http://www.aec.gov.au/Voting/Compulsory_Voting.htm

+Quote Post
commonsense
post May 17 2017, 06:19 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Silas @ May 17 2017, 06:40 PM) *
Poll added!
I support compulsory voting but only as part of a broader package of voter engagement and the transformation of our democracy. We need PR and a better system of impartial political education that empowers young people to engage in politics and make an informed decision

Agree with all that. My daughter says she won't vote and she didn't in 2015, claiming " they're all the same" We need young people to engage more as she says none of her mates vote either. I find it sad. sad.gif

+Quote Post
lotita
post May 17 2017, 06:20 PM
Post #12
feminist icon

QUOTE(common sense @ May 17 2017, 07:19 PM) *
Agree with all that. My daughter says she won't vote and she didn't in 2015, claiming " they're all the same" We need young people to engage more as she says none of her mates vote either. I find it sad. sad.gif

how can you say that here... yet in the other thread say you're not voting because there's no point!

+Quote Post
commonsense
post May 17 2017, 06:20 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Oh and if it was made compulsory it should be on a Sunday like in France.

+Quote Post
commonsense
post May 17 2017, 06:21 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(lotita @ May 17 2017, 07:20 PM) *
how can you say that here... yet in the other thread say you're not voting because there's no point!

I am interested in politics though whereas she has no interest. A lot of people tell me they won't vote as it's such a safe seat.

+Quote Post
lotita
post May 17 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #15
feminist icon

QUOTE(common sense @ May 17 2017, 07:21 PM) *
I am interested in politics though whereas she has no interest. A lot of people tell me they won't vote as it's such a safe seat.

Don't you think if a lot of these people went out and all voted.... it would make it less of a safe seat? I just googled your constituency and with an incredibly low turnout of 52% if more people turned out the result could be completely different

+Quote Post
Houdini
post May 17 2017, 06:42 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 21,725
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(common sense @ May 17 2017, 07:19 PM) *

How old is your daughter?

+Quote Post
Houdini
post May 17 2017, 06:48 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 21,725
   No Gallery Pics

I voted no in this poll as I don't think anyone should be forced into making a rash decision that they will soon regret. I didn't vote in the 2015 election because no one wowed me on that occasion, in fact it's only the Referendum that I've voted in since the 2010 general election.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post May 17 2017, 06:51 PM
Post #18
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

I think by now we ought to be able to vote online, via gov.uk or something. I'm convinced that substantially more people would vote if they could do it more conveniently.

+Quote Post
lotita
post May 17 2017, 06:54 PM
Post #19
feminist icon

QUOTE(dandy* @ May 17 2017, 07:51 PM) *
I think by now we ought to be able to vote online, via gov.uk or something. I'm convinced that substantially more people would vote if they could do it more conveniently.

oh this 100% would be an ideal scenario! I just worry so much about how this would actually work though in practice, it would be very easy surely to hack, to find ways to vote more than once, or for some nationwide scandal to happen sad.gif

+Quote Post
Klaus
post May 17 2017, 06:56 PM
Post #20
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Posted this in the other thread but the message needs to be seen about WHY YOU SHOULD VOTE:

QUOTE(dandy* @ May 17 2017, 07:51 PM) *

Yeh, as Lotti said, this would be good in an ideal world. I just think its waaaay too prone to hacking, especially with all the rumours we've seen surrounding the US election. I'm glad we still do it the paper way.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2017 - 01:48 PM