BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Podcasts Thread, Let's get people talking
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Podcasts Poll 2017
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 10
Guests cannot vote 
awardinary
post May 21 2017, 10:14 PM
Post #1
The Navigator
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

I was unable to locate a similar thread, so I created this one with some polls to gather information about this often untapped media source.

All categories listed are those found on the Apple Podcast Library.

In my own case, I listen to podcasts but not regularly, maybe a few times a month at best, and I mainly use them for self development purposes or if I want some information on a certain subject. I don't use them for any other leisure purpose. Main category would probably be Society & Culture, maybe occasionally Health, Education or Business. However, I personally don't think they are a modern way of giving information, as accessible as they might be, I think something new should be devised. Should they be done away with? Well I wouldn't say so yet, but in time, with suitable replacement platforms, probably.

What about you? smile.gif

Discuss.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 21 2017, 10:23 PM
Post #2
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I rarely tap into podcasts but I really should do more! Because there was a recent exception that really impressed me. This was taking my time to listen to a 5 part series of podcasts called 'The story of Izzy Dix' produced by BBC Newsbeat. It was a hard listen as it was about the story of a teenage girl who took her own life (with an interview with her mother two years later) and it followed the months before this, such an important listen as their target audience is fairly young. Such brilliant storytelling, really emotional and incredibly crafted as well. I am fascinated by true life stories and society in general, so you mentioning society & culture podcasts is interesting Wardy, should venture into more of them at some point.

More light-heartedly, I used to download the BBC Radio 1 chart podcasts in about 2010 laugh.gif it was usually a rundown of the top 10 and an interview with the person at number 1. Forgot about them after a while though.

+Quote Post
troublepink
post May 22 2017, 02:09 PM
Post #3
On This Day in P!nk History...
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 590

I love podcasts but have only just started to listen to them in the last 12-18 months!

I listen to my iPod at work during night shifts and was getting bored of listening to the same music every night, I'm not really into new music so I was listening to the same thing over and over again. Someone suggested that I try out podcasts and I've been hooked ever since! I rarely listen to music now. I listen to podcasts at work and when I'm at home if I'm sat at my desk crafting or working on my laptop. I voted that I listen to them daily, but its not always everyday.

Some of my favourite podcasts...
Stuff you should know
Stuff they don't want you to know
The complete guide to everything
Castile true crime

I listen to others as well, but those are the main ones. I mostly like to listen to true crime ones

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post May 22 2017, 06:00 PM
Post #4
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I subscribe to a few podcasts and listen to them regularly. My main ones would be -

Wittertainment - Film Review podcast hosted by Mark Kermode & Simon Mayo. Mark Kermode's film reviews are almost always on point, and every couple of weeks we get treated to a "Kermodian Rant", where Mark goes off about a film that he absolutely despises, the best ones being his take on "Sex & The City 2", "Entourage" and "Pain & Gain". There's lots of in-jokes if you listen to it regularly, and the banter between the two hosts is fantastic.
CMU Music - a podcast about the music industry, which is very useful at highlighting the biggest news stories in the music world. There's been quite a lot of insights into the business of Spotify over the past few weeks, which is quite interesting if you want to know more about the nuts & bolts of the industry.
Song Exploder - in each episode the writer of a popular song deconstructs one of their big hits and explains how the song came to be, from the first demo to its final version. My favourites were MGMT talking through "Time To Pretend" (fun fact - there's a sample of "Dancing Queen" hidden deep in the mix), and "Suddenly I See" by KT Tunstall.
BBC Introducing Mixtape - 1 hour of new music each week from Tom Robinson.
Holy Smoke - an interesting religious affairs podcast hosted through The Spectator.

I am also in the process of starting my own music related podcast. In each episode, I invite a musician around to my house for a nice cup of tea, a delicious bun, and a chat about their music. Hopefully will have the first episode out in the next week or so.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post May 22 2017, 11:32 PM
Post #5
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks for the responses guys, keep them coming! happy.gif

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post May 30 2017, 06:41 PM
Post #6
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Shameless self-plug time!

I've started my own music podcast, where I sit down with a local musician for a cup of tea and a delicious bun (that is not a joke), and chat about their music, their influences, and anything else that comes into my head. The first episode is with a local NI musician, Aidan Logan, and I hope to make it a bi-monthly thing. At the moment it's only on Soundcloud, but I am hoping to get it on iTunes in the next few weeks. Let me know what you think -

+Quote Post
awardinary
post May 30 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #7
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ May 30 2017, 07:41 PM) *
Shameless self-plug time!

I've started my own music podcast, where I sit down with a local musician for a cup of tea and a delicious bun (that is not a joke), and chat about their music, their influences, and anything else that comes into my head. The first episode is with a local NI musician, Aidan Logan, and I hope to make it a bi-monthly thing. At the moment it's only on Soundcloud, but I am hoping to get it on iTunes in the next few weeks. Let me know what you think -

I listened as far as the Battennergs! I have to go out now but will listen more later! Great idea!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2017 - 03:36 AM