BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "Friends On the Internet"
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jonjo
post May 24 2017, 09:49 PM
Post #1
Together we are more.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 5,042

So the phrase of stuff like "Don't take it so personal, it's just someone you're likely to never meet" have been said on this forum a few times in the past (although it does seem to be a distant memory as of now as I've not seen it said for a while tbh), but my point is, I think this phrase is really taken for granted.

The recent events with them happening and hitting so close to home (and having a mass conversation with various people from this forum), and feeling so much emotion despite not having any direct connections personally, it made me realise that some members of this forum, despite never meeting them, are actually more than "friends on the internet". Speaking to Joe about his trouble of not knowing whether his friend was ok or not, really hit me the most. I literally worried for him when he told me, like we had regular meet ups and saw each other in person etc.. he wasn't just "someone from the internet", I realised I actually have more interaction with him, than I do with some people I see most days who I consider to be my friends. And obviously knowing that it was a Buzzjack-friendly artists concert, in the popular city of Manchester, really got to me. Knowing the likes of Bal, Jay, Rob (who I speak to on a regular basis in a group chat) probably would've been there had she not done Birmingham or something (Rob was very almost there), I was a mess just thinking about that, even though I knew they weren't there.

My heart breaks for each one of you who has been personally affected by this in any way shape or form. It really does.

It's made me realise that some people on this site are so much more than just "friends on the internet". You have impacted my life a lot more than some of you probably realise. You guys are my escape. It's so nice to just geek out about things and not be judged for doing so and the fact that I have made some truly great friendships in my 10 years of being here, I can't thank you all enough. I genuinely don't know what I'd do without this site and the people on it.

Sorry if this is a bit much or whatever, but I just wanted to get this off my chest and I think we could all use a little pick me up <3 I truly believe this site is the best thing to happen to my life and I for one consider a lot of you to be more than "internet friends".

Much love wub.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shatteredSanity
post May 24 2017, 09:54 PM
Post #2
shameless self parody :') // Luna.
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

tbh it doesn't matter whether or not there is face to face interaction. All that matters is that the same characteristics are there e..g. sharing stories/problems/advice/laughs etc., I wouldn't say that an online friendship is any less "real" than a friendship in person.

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 24 2017, 10:05 PM
Post #3
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Aw Jonjo that really made me smile heart.gif It is amazing how much a place like this can have an impact on you. I came across someone I connect with more than anyone I'd ever met in real life on here, found loads more supportive and brilliant people to chat with and I genuinely think opening up here and having so much support has helped me grow as a person. The community here is outstanding and I would consider a lot of the memberbase to be friends of mine despite never meeting a lot of you, it's so untrue that internet friends aren't 'real friends'. I've shared low points on here (like when my great grandma passed away, the overwhelming support here was a huge part of what got me through it) and also had some of the best laughs with people on here, lots of very real emotions. With the recent events that you mention, I also thought a LOT about this place and how it was feasibly an event that a lot of us could have attended (in fact, at least 5 of us did) and I just felt so much concern and relief for people here - I never imagined I would feel so attached to an area of the Internet. But there you go, I found a place I adore in BuzzJack and it will always be a huge part of me. Thank goodness for this place and its members. <3

+Quote Post
Bairlas
post May 24 2017, 10:09 PM
Post #4
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

wub.gif

I can't add anything. Thank you Jonjo and Jade both for your eloquent words. You've put it perfectly.

+Quote Post
Iz~
post May 24 2017, 10:10 PM
Post #5
consentes dei Juno Jupiter Minerva
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 12,929

Excellently worded Jonjo and I feel the same way, you guys are such a big part of my life that I really value being able to talk with people on here and getting to know you all, and being able to be myself and talk about whatever I like is something I do really need sometimes. Plus, it is fun being here, and I've stayed here because I've really gotten to know what makes everyone tick around here.

I consider some members here equally or even moreso valuable friends than most of the real-life people I've made friends with, even though I've never met most of them in person, something I hope to change sooner rather than later. And for everyone who has been here for at least a while I care about and am (and have been) very worried for them when bad things happen near them. This latest one being awful, I have found the thread on here tough to read with so many people even in our little corner of the internet affected by this tragedy.

+Quote Post
mdh
post May 24 2017, 10:11 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

This resonates with me so much. I don't often contemplate how much of a big part of my life Buzzjack is - I've made some great friends on here and I genuinely have no idea what I'd do with my life if I didn't have this to pass my time on.

Although there are upsets and arguments (just like real life I guess), there's a real community spirit here and it's lovely to have a place where I get on with others just as well as I do in real life. Great thread idea!

+Quote Post
Cherry.
post May 24 2017, 10:18 PM
Post #7
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

The OP and the lovely comments in here have genuinely bought me to tears, I can't add much more but thank ya'll for your lovely posts heart.gif the friendships I have made on this site have been so vital to me, I truly don't know what I'd have done without them

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 24 2017, 10:32 PM
Post #8
Balegdah
Member No.: 10,139

Completely agree with this, people will say it's silly when they don't understand the connections, but people on the site, especially the few I've met, I can say are brilliant friends to me and mean a lot to me, more than some people I have to see every day. It's totally different to friends at uni or from school, but just as important. There are things I can talk to them about I couldn't in real life, they've given me innumerable in jokes that would make 0 sense to anyone else, a place to rant about life or laugh about stupid stuff, and support I need when everyone in my actual vicinity is just too much. I have amazing friends irl but I couldn't imagine not having the group chats I'm in from Buzzjack, and I couldn't imagine not having say Lotti for going to concerts with, Sam to make me laugh with her daily messes, Lew for sharing dark af or random humour, Oliver for thristing over everything or Grant for all my worst/lowest points over the past few years when I had nobody else, among other people. This site so easily brings us together with types of people we'd otherwise probably not come together with, and makes them invaluable friends.

+Quote Post
White Mustang
post May 24 2017, 10:34 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

Jonjo what a lovely post, and it means a lot that you thought of me as I've said to you already.

My internet friends can mean as much to me as ones I see on a week to week basis, it's a different connection, but you're all important human beings in my life.

+Quote Post
Cody Rance
post May 24 2017, 10:49 PM
Post #10
I'm still rocking your hoodie
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Someone finally said it heart.gif

I'm eight hours behind 90% of Buzzjack, most of you are gone when I'm most awake and vice versa, and yet I still find something that gravitates me toward you guys and it makes all this catching up worth it in the end. No matter what crazy things I say that may drive you all insane, you all hold a special place in my heart.

I mean, this is what the Internet should be: a family. Some squabbles here and there and a few trials and tribulations sprinkled along the way but in the end, we're all together and that's what matters.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post May 24 2017, 10:57 PM
Post #11
The Navigator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

I'd like to give you all a hug, sometimes that's better than words. friends.gif

+Quote Post
Slick
post May 24 2017, 10:58 PM
Post #12
I got hot sauce in my bag, swag
Member No.: 70

Online friendships are so common these days, and rightfully so since the internet enables anybody to connect with like-minded people across the world in a safe and easily accessible way (not to mention the fact that some members of these communities would really struggle to connect with anyone at all outside of the internet for whatever reason.) Yet there still seems to be this idea that the friendships formed online aren't "real".

I've been a member of Buzzjack for 11 years and the site and the members who use it mean a great deal to me. If something awful had happened on Monday night to one of our regular posters, I'm sure we would have shared in our grief just as any community outside of the internet would have done.

+Quote Post
Kye
post May 24 2017, 11:04 PM
Post #13
Aesthetic Party
Member No.: 2,169

I don't consider myself to have any friends on the forum. I have an acquaintance or two but nobody that I talk to on a regular basis. I frequent the forum so much and get involved when I feel particularly passionate about something that I feel like I know lots of you without actually knowing you. I know lots of your faces without actually knowing you. For example, Jade followed me on Twitter and I knew it was Jade without reading it..

And even with this in mind, this was the first place that I came to recount my experience of Monday night and was comforted to read lots of you wishing me well.

What I'm really trying to say is.. I guess I feel a part of the family but somewhat of a distant cousin? I am constantly envious of the friendships/relationships that this amazing community has created. I guess that's my doing having never reached out, been very active or been the most welcoming in my posting style etc.. but when things happen, like the attack on Monday, it really makes you think about things.

+Quote Post
Bairlas
post May 24 2017, 11:15 PM
Post #14
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

We love our distant cousins as much as our near cousins and will readily and happily take any opportunity to make that distance smaller. Even if it's just one poster that draws you in or connects you to us, the second that bridge is up a stampede is coming across it.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post May 24 2017, 11:22 PM
Post #15
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Yea online friendships really mean a lot to me for the same reasons a lot of you have mentioned above, like as all of you know, Lotti has been my absolute best friend since I was like 14 and that all started online, we've actually only met twice in our whole 7 years of friendship but I can whole heartedly say she knows me better than anyone, I don't feel like distance limits the "connection" we have or that our friendship is any less valid because of how it originated, it's one of the most important things I have in my life if I'm honest. I've always been able to be more open and be more myself online so when I form friendships with people that are solid and special and I know they really do accept me for every part of me, it does mean a lot, especially when I can then go and hang out with some of these people "in the real world". Like with Lew, we ended up going to a gay club in Glasgow after seeing Girli, like that whole experience probably wouldn't have happened for me if it wasn't for Buzzjack and the community you guys have created as only a handful of people outside of here know that I'm bi. I think it's so important to have friends who are like-minded and I feel like despite our own personal interests etc, we are a group of people who are very loving and accepting of one another and not everyone has that sort of support from the people they know irl so to be able to come here and be 100% your authentic, unfiltered self is so amazing, having people that I could talk to about stuff I couldn't bring up with my irl friends was beyond helpful and god knows where I'd be if I didn't have that laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JosephStyles
post May 25 2017, 12:03 AM
Post #16
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 13,530

I've made some incredible friendships over the internet. I'm not really close to many people in real life anymore, only two people really, so online friendships are incredibly important to me and they've had such a massive impact on me in the last 5 or so years. People like Jay, Ball, Rob, Joe, Bray, Jade, Jordan, Seven, Harry, and many more, I really could go on, have been amazing friends heart.gif plus of course Jahq! Definitely wouldn't be the person I am now without all you guys.

EDIT: I was literally just talking with Jade about how I find it SO much easier to open up to people over the internet than I do in real life. I'm awful at talking about my feelings in person but over the internet, with such kind people ready to listen to me (and vice versa), I feel much more comfortable doing so.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 25 2017, 12:12 AM
Post #17
Balegdah
Member No.: 10,139

Yeah I'm the same, unless it's one of my 2 or 3 or so best friends I find it so hard to speak to people about really difficult things, say my depression or relationships or something :lol; But online I'll just go to a thread or speak to someone I know from here instantly and just open up about whatever. There's been times on plug where I've been surrounded by people I consider friends on here as well as "randomers" who've come on (for want of a better word), and I've still just opened up about whatever. This community always just feels like the "right" place if I can't go to anyone in real life, whether it's a private conversation with members on here or a thread/plug session. It's easy becasue you know that people on here will care, but unlike with your real friends you don't have to sort of face them the next day, and sense the potential pity or worry or whatever laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 25 2017, 01:52 AM
Post #18
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

QUOTE(JosephStyles🐶 @ May 25 2017, 01:03 AM) *
EDIT: I was literally just talking with Jade about how I find it SO much easier to open up to people over the internet than I do in real life. I'm awful at talking about my feelings in person but over the internet, with such kind people ready to listen to me (and vice versa), I feel much more comfortable doing so.

Yesss whenever the whole 'IRL vs. online communication' thing comes up I always have this opinion too. I get quite anxious when meeting new people (it's so frustrating IRL when this holds me back from making friends who I feel could have so much in common with me), so from the get go it's SUCH a relief to not have that initial awkwardness and just start chatting to someone through a screen. Though just because it's through a screen doesn't mean it's meaningless. Then as you and Liam said I am also the same with opening up, I like having more time to think and it just comes more naturally and comfortably to me to spill my feelings in a thread/PM on here, on plug or a private message on FB/Skype etc. Thank gawd for Internet communication.

(It's been a joy to read everyone's responses in here btw heart.gif always makes me feel warm to hear people sharing how much the site means to them.)

+Quote Post
Faller
post May 25 2017, 04:52 AM
Post #19
on vacay, will return Monday
Member No.: 19,534

Hear hear. So glad this thread was posted just to reaffirm why we're all here and what brings us back every day. Aside from work and my own immediate family, you all are the people I count on "seeing" and interacting with every day, even if I'm just skim reading and don't have time to actually post. I look forward to reading posts from less-regular folk like Klumzee and Kye just as much as I look forward to seeing my absolute closest friends on the site, so just because you're not as active doesn't mean you're not valued here. It's reassuring to know people on Buzzjack have time for me and care about me when it doesn't always seem that way in real life. You've filled a huge void in my life and I hope I can give just a fraction of that back to this site that's given me so much support and laughter over the years.

+Quote Post
Jack
post May 25 2017, 09:26 AM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

I wouldn't say I was incredibly close with anyone on here - I've met a few of you and I speak to Rob quite frequently but I'd be devastated if anything was to happen to any one of you. I like how much Buzzjack feels like a community, and sometimes, not often I'll come here instead of going to friends if I'm having a shit day. It's made me want to post more recently as pretty much everyone on here has good intentions. Much love to you all.

Not on this forum, but my best friend I met on an online forum as well. These type of friendships really can be just as important.

This post has been edited by Jack: May 25 2017, 09:27 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 02:52 PM