BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 7 Ways To Maximise Misery, CPG Grey
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jacobauble
post Jun 11 2017, 10:25 PM
Post #1
Merry Christmas <3
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

I'm sure lots of you will have heard of/ watched CPG Grey's videos at one point or another but this video really struck me. I watch youtube videos all the time but I've never made a thread about one before. laugh.gif

Now I don't do all of these things, at least not all at once and not to a great extent (and not many right now fortunately) but most if not all of them seem so familiar and at my worst point I've probably done all 7 for a couple of days or so. I have done #1 a few times before, I'm guilty of #2 and #3 to some degree and I'm definitely guilty of #5 even in regards to my practice and career goals.

For anyone who doesn't have time to watch the video (and I highly recommend you do, Grey goes into a lot more detail than I do and is much more eloquent) I've summarised his points in my own words and with some of my own examples:

1. Remain in a small confined space
Stay in the same area (typically your room) for all or most of the day, don't go outside even if it's a nice day and by the end of the day berate yourself for not doing enough with it. In contrast to this 'advice', if you are guilty of the above things try to go outside for at least 20 minutes a day, I always find that helps!

2. Keep a consistently inconsistent sleeping pattern
I know a lot about this one, in order to fulfil this path to misery make sure you never sleep for the same number of hours or at the same time each day, don't have a natural body clock/ sleeping pattern and even when you've slept enough lie in for too long anyway if you don't have to be anywhere in order to make up for 'sleep debt' for previous days.

3. Overuse screens to the extent that they stop you sleeping (in conjunction with #2)
Watch something or check social media (especially if it's unimportant!) on your phone/ tablet/ pc before bed and make sure it's the last thing you look at before slowly drifting off into sleep (possibly while staring at it) then when you wake up go straight back to it so you don't even have any time for your own thoughts.

4. Use screens to feed your negative emotion.
Find things you care about and want to change but do nothing or little about them yourself but still worry and stress about them

5. Create unrealistic or vague goals thereby always disappointing yourself.
Don't say I'm going to do a couple hundred extra words on my essay that's due in for two weeks, tell yourself you'll do all 3000 right now, don't tell yourself you'll sort the dishes, tell yourself you'll clean the whole house in the next few hours, don't tell yourself you'll go to the gym once or twice a week on scheduled day at scheduled times, tell yourself you'll go straight from 0 to 5. This is applicable to the long term as well.

6. Pursue happiness directly rather than focussing on things that actually make you happy.
You tell yourself you want to be happy but don't do anything about it by doing things that make you happy, instead you just feel sad about not feeling happy.

7. Follow your instincts/ never make any hard decisions
Don't push yourself to go for that 20 minute walk before dinner, it's easier to go straight to watching netflix and spend another day completely inside. Don't think about the long term, just about what's easier in the short term, what feels better right now.

Of course some of us have everything together better than others (or at least seem to xx) but I found this so #relatable even though I'm slowly moving away from many of these things, like Grey himself says most likely you (the viewer) will be guilty of at least one of these things. This is for anyone who's feels down a lot and can't think what to do about it, when you're stuck in a rut like this it's hard to actually identify that doing one or more of these things is actually what's preventing you from feeling happy. If this helps someone identify any of these habits and this is enough to get them to make even a small change that'd be amazing. I'm not saying OMG THIS VIDEO WILL FIX UR LYFE!!1! but it makes some amazing points, especially in regards to sleeping patterns and the way people typically think about long term goals and achievements. Make lots of small steps rather than burning yourself out trying to make big ones and you'll have a much better shot at getting to where you want to be eventually.

Stay positive guys! wub.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jacobauble
post Jun 11 2017, 10:26 PM
Post #2
Merry Christmas <3
   No Gallery Pics

Interesting that this came up on shuffle as I was typing this. #relevant

+Quote Post
Sugarplumberella
post Jun 11 2017, 10:26 PM
Post #3
controlo qualquer um com a minha bruxaria
Member No.: 9,403

THANK U FOR POSTING THIS, i'm gonna bookmark this as something to go back to

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Jun 11 2017, 10:31 PM
Post #4
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

the irony of me reading this from my phone screen just before sleeping save me

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Jun 11 2017, 10:32 PM
Post #5
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

brilliant thread tho Jacob tyvm <3333

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Jun 11 2017, 10:43 PM
Post #6
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

is it bad to say i've done all seven

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Jun 11 2017, 10:57 PM
Post #7
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Group: Members
Member No.: 16,660

QUOTE(Jacob. @ Jun 11 2017, 10:26 PM) *

omg this tune *.*

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jun 11 2017, 11:01 PM
Post #8
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I watched this video earlier today and it is so incredible, I really needed something like that, good job on sharing it here.

I can see elements of what I do in all of those but this sort of thing really sticks in my mind and makes me aware of it.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jun 11 2017, 11:05 PM
Post #9
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I have done all 7 all day oops

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Jun 11 2017, 11:11 PM
Post #10
The Navigator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Guilty as charged.

+Quote Post
Jacobauble
post Jun 11 2017, 11:13 PM
Post #11
Merry Christmas <3
   No Gallery Pics

Even if you do these it's not meant to make you feel bad about doing them, but hopefully motivated to find ways to fix it for the future by making small changes to your daily routine. Not much effort, just a little bit- manageable goals. I've done all 7 before and I'm especially bad with the sleeping one almost all the time.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jun 11 2017, 11:15 PM
Post #12
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Nice thread Jacob! Reverse psychology can be a good tactic in this context. I try to usually avoid most of these, although I use screens a lot, it's usually in the evening and night, so I wouldn't say they contribute much to sadness.

I'd say I'm bad with #4 sometimes though! #5 is mostly ok but I don't always know what is or isn't realistic. I used to have #6 a lot but I've got much better. #7 is a big one for me too, I choose the easy way most of the time, I'm not sure how I can change my mindset on that though...

+Quote Post
Jacobauble
post Jun 11 2017, 11:33 PM
Post #13
Merry Christmas <3
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ReyOfSpunShine @ Jun 12 2017, 12:15 AM) *
Nice thread Jacob! Reverse psychology can be a good tactic in this context. I try to usually avoid most of these, although I use screens a lot, it's usually in the evening and night, so I wouldn't say they contribute much to sadness.

I'd say I'm bad with #4 sometimes though! #5 is mostly ok but I don't always know what is or isn't realistic. I used to have #6 a lot but I've got much better. #7 is a big one for me too, I choose the easy way most of the time, I'm not sure how I can change my mindset on that though...
I guess what you could do if you're really struggling with #7 is get a friend to keep you accountable, so as an example if you want to get up and go running in the morning say you'll meet your friend on a certain date, time and place and you'll push yourself to go and do it to avoid letting them down and likewise they'll do the same. Or just get someone to check up on you to ask you if you're committing to the goal you set yourself, I know I'd feel bad about disappointing them. To reference another YouTuber, boyinaband (check him out he's cool) has a routine maintained by his sister, he's told her to donate a chunk of his savings to scientology (which he's given her access to) if he breaks his routine and that works for him because he's not too fond of either losing his money or the cause it'd go towards. That's extreme but hopefully you get what I mean. Even getting a friend to help is just an example though, it's just finding a motivating factor that you can put in place earlier on which will force you to commit when it comes to doing what you want to do.

Personally I just try disciplining myself into managing my time effectively which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't but I'm never late to work or appointments and rarely late to uni lectures because it's something I've got to do and always make myself do. It's finding a way to get yourself committed to doing something so that the thought of not doing it (whatever "it" may be) is worse than the thought of doing it, then the idea is if you really want it you'll feel good about it after.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jun 12 2017, 07:44 AM
Post #14
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Ah yes, involvement of others in goals is a great suggestion tbh ohmy.gif I'll try it some time biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
vidsanta
post Jun 12 2017, 09:38 AM
Post #15
Paul Hyett
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jacob. @ Jun 11 2017, 11:26 PM) *

I'm a big Caro Emerald fan! wub.gif

+Quote Post
Jacobauble
post Jun 13 2017, 12:54 PM
Post #16
Merry Christmas <3
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(*Tim @ Jun 11 2017, 11:57 PM) *
omg this tune *.*
QUOTE(vidcapper @ Jun 12 2017, 10:38 AM) *
I'm a big Caro Emerald fan! wub.gif
She's amazing right? wub.gif

I made a connection between the the lyric "my bed's an ocean liner" etc and this topic, although the theme of the song in general seems to go.

Has anyone watched the CPG Grey video? It's a really interesting watch (as is the majority of his videos) and I want to give him full credit for the idea.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 05:18 AM