BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> London
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Rooney
post Jun 18 2017, 06:41 PM
Post #1
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

So what do we all think of the capital city (for us UK based). Apart from the out of the control property market - is London a great place to live and work?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post Jun 18 2017, 06:43 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

I don't live there but I do love a visit. Love Covent Garden!

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jun 18 2017, 06:49 PM
Post #3
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I was in London for work the week of the general election, it was great to be able to see a play in the evening and have a very wide choice for eating out. I'm definitely not a city boy though so I definitely couldn't hack it full time and have respect for those who can manage with the pollution/traffic/noise/heat.

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post Jun 18 2017, 06:53 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah I couldn't live in London either, as much as I love it.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jun 18 2017, 06:54 PM
Post #5
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

My sister lives there. I like to stay with her for a holiday. In no way could I actually live there tho.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jun 18 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #6
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

My sister lives there. I like to stay with her for a holiday. In no way could I actually live there tho.

+Quote Post
SouthsideSpinner
post Jun 18 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #7
ayyy lmao
Member No.: 21,005

Went to see my Aunt and family there last year, don't like there not being any beaches (I would say that tho) perhaps it's too busy with people rushing around for me to want to live/work there.

+Quote Post
burbe
post Jun 18 2017, 07:10 PM
Post #8
Lusts for Life
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

I've been there for uni since 2013 and sadly am moving back home. I'm really gonna miss it, despite its flaw of being ridiculously expensive. There's just so much to do there, it's impossible to get bored. I'm hoping to move back to London though in a couple of years time once I've financially recuperated tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Jun 18 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #9
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I've worked there for a few months over the last couple of years, and it's quite nice, a real big step up from Belfast, and the London Underground system is absolutely fantastic. I don't think I could live there though - the cost of property/renting I've heard from talking to people who do live there seems unfeasible, regardless of whether I earn a decent wage is rather off-putting - at least when I'm over for work they put me up in a nice hotel for free.

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Jun 18 2017, 07:21 PM
Post #10
consentes dei Juno Jupiter Minerva
Member No.: 12,929

Whenever I've been there (which is sadly very rare) I've really enjoyed myself, I could definitely be up for seeing a bit more of it, the vastness of it just feels mindboggling and I would never be short of things to explore. All the borough systems, the transport networks, the organisation of many different local governments for one city, it not really being one city but more like a county of cities, all of the landmarks, the embassies, the museums, millions of people living within something so huge. I used to be apprehensive about living in a huge city but if I had the opportunity I'd probably take it these days.

Right now, I'm fairly relieved to be in the coolness of the countryside though.

+Quote Post
No Sleeep
post Jun 18 2017, 07:32 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 22,008
   No Gallery Pics

I love London! I really want to live there (and would if money wasn't a thing tongue.gif). I only went for the first time last year but I've been back twice this year already. I'm definitely a city boy. The closest thing to it here is Glasgow and yeah... that doesn't cut it anymore! I'm currently trying to find an excuse to go back again lol. I would apply to uni there but I'm broke and my job hunt is going nowhere lol tongue.gif

It is busy but I actually like that lol. Also I love how diverse it is, it's so different from Scotland.

This post has been edited by No Sleeep: Jun 18 2017, 09:38 PM

+Quote Post
HarryEzra
post Jun 18 2017, 07:48 PM
Post #12
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,835

I've been there a few times for hospital visits and days out and it's a nice area but I cannot see myself living there at all.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jun 18 2017, 07:59 PM
Post #13
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I have been to London a handful of times in the past 5 years or so and they were all enjoyable:

- Family day out to Madame Tussauds and then ate at Planet Hollywood after (15-year-old me made a vlog of this day out laugh.gif it still exists somewhere)
- Travelling to a clinic to have a final otoplasty consultation but that flopped, me and my dad still made a day out of it with shopping to cheer me up *.*
- My Uni course had a weekly news quiz in first year and the top 5 highest scores at the end of the year got to go on a trip to ITN Studios, I was one of them and got to see behind the scenes of ITV news being filmed and met some of the news presenters, me and a couple of friends who were in this top 5 did a bit of shopping as a group afterwards (and were a bit nerdy and got some pics where Platform 9 3/4 is)
- Seeing Melanie Martinez at Heaven nightclub and meeting Lotti in McDonalds afterwards!
- Most recently, getting the train with Bray to meet Joseph at Hyde Park for Winter Wonderland and walking round the shops (including many a Pret kink.gif) afterwards!

All the shops seem like paradise compared to the selection in Northampton laugh.gif There's just no limit of options of things to do when you're there and my experiences of the transport networks have all been fab. So yeah, I see why our capital is so raved about. It is far more exciting and lively compared to where I live so it always feels like a real adventure to go there. I don't think I could see myself living there though, due to the costs of living.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jun 18 2017, 08:05 PM
Post #14
WINTER IS COMING
Member No.: 88

The reason I ask is that I like London, it's a great city (bar the prices of drinks and the housing situation!). I'm now in a situation where I have outgrown my city and everyone around me is settling down. I have enough to buy a house and have a good job, but I find myself wanting something more. I am seriously considering relocating to the big smoke. The prices are definitely off-putting as I like to save, but I just feel if I don't do something like this I'll always regret it.

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post Jun 18 2017, 08:05 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Oh yeah been to Winter Wonderland twice. It is amazing. When did you go Jade?

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jun 18 2017, 08:06 PM
Post #16
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I'm really not a massive fan of London. I love that it's a multi-cultural melting pot so there's so many good shops, restaurants and amazing world food sections in supermarkets. The Tube is a great system, but utter hell in the summer - especially at peak times.

It's too expensive, everyones in a massive hurry and it's not very friendly. I don't mind visiting for work, especially when (as Brett said) work put us up in a nice hotel - slowly working my way around the 4* hotels of London - but I really couldn't live there.

It's not that I don't like cities, having grown up in the countryside! Brisbane is an amazing city, it's so chilled out and laid back and friendly - really the opposite of most of London's bad qualities with significantly nicer weather. I absolutely love Manchester though, I'm so glad I finally was able to move down here. It's good value for a big city (buying somewhere to live for £100k is realistic in the majority of GM), if you know where to look you can get some well priced drink, and it's really friendly and open. There's people from all over the world so you still get that amazing melting pot of cultures and incredible world foods section in supermarkets. Metrolink isn't quite as frequent or expansive as the Tube is but it's a lot bloody cooler in the summer (unless you're packed in like Sardines on the Altrincham line) and is a massive amount cheaper too - I can get to the airport and have change from a fiver!

+Quote Post
popchartfreak
post Jun 18 2017, 08:07 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Love london. If you count outer london areas like wimbledon where i was this weekend its not much more hectic than any busy town or city, but so much to do via a short tube ride.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jun 18 2017, 08:09 PM
Post #18
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

QUOTE(cqmerqn @ Jun 18 2017, 09:05 PM) *
Oh yeah been to Winter Wonderland twice. It is amazing. When did you go Jade?

We went in December 2016 so the most recent time that it was on! How about you? ;o Three of those London visits I mentioned were all last year!

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post Jun 18 2017, 08:16 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

2014 and 2015 I think?

+Quote Post
casey__
post Jun 18 2017, 09:09 PM
Post #20
equally cursed & blessed
Member No.: 6,654

I absolutely adore London. I moved here at 18 and will be coming up to my 7th year here in September and there's still places I've not been to - which i love.

I love it so much because it's such an independent city and because time moves completely differently to anywhere else. It's now 10pm on a Sunday and I'm not working tomorrow, I could easily go out to a bar and crawl home at 3am (and not feel like I can't do it because it may take an hour to get home laugh.gif). Something that would be completely unheard of in the small Norfolk village I was brought up in.

London has opened my eyes up to such a bigger world than I'd ever experienced in my first 18 years. So many nationalities, religions, cultures, beliefs, values surrounding me that it's impossible to stop learning in this city. Some of the best friends I've made here are from backgrounds I'd never even have a chance to meet back home.

QUOTE(Rooney @ Jun 18 2017, 09:05 PM) *
The reason I ask is that I like London, it's a great city (bar the prices of drinks and the housing situation!). I'm now in a situation where I have outgrown my city and everyone around me is settling down. I have enough to buy a house and have a good job, but I find myself wanting something more. I am seriously considering relocating to the big smoke. The prices are definitely off-putting as I like to save, but I just feel if I don't do something like this I'll always regret it.

I think I've been here too long to realise how expensive drinks are now. I don't know, is £9-10 for 2 pints mega expensive? Whilst on the whole, it's generally quite expensive. If you know the right places you can have a perfectly solid night out without breaking the bank. There's bars / clubs that do £2 pints etc. - it's just finding them. Obviously your superclubs / hotspot bars etc. are going to come with the price tag attached to the name.

As for housing, I think it's calmed down a bit compared to a couple of years ago (re: the cupboard under the stairs in Clapham story). If you're willing to go out to Zone 3 prices come down A LOT. I've recently moved to save money and it's working.

The thing with London is it's so easy to move here. Job-wise there's so many opportunities that you're likely to find something. Housing-wise I found a place on Spareroom, contacted them, looked at the house and moved in within 3 days. If you really hate London after moving here it's just as quick to move elsewhere as well (job permitting of course).

One downfall is that I feel like I've been melting for the last three days. I can't remember what it felt like to be cold.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2017 - 04:58 PM