BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Towns/Villages in England that are nice to visit?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Brett-Butler
post Jun 20 2017, 06:33 PM
Post #1
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I'm thinking of myself away for a few days to England, and I've decided I want to do something a little bit different. I've always loved the look of those quaint, little English villages, and thought that it would be nice to visit a few of them. My provisional plan is to fly into London Gatwick (yay for Ryanair), and finish up a week later in Liverpool & get the ferry home from there, and in between take the train to visit a few picturesque towns & villages along the way (although not just ones that are on the London-Liverpool route - I'd happily take a detour off-piste a little if something tickled my fancy).

As a lot of BJ are England-based, I'd love to get your advice on which little villages/towns dotted around England that would be nice to stop through for a day? What's so great about them, and is there anything in particular in each of them that makes them such a treat to spend some time in?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jun 20 2017, 06:44 PM
Post #2
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

Chester may technically be a city but it's a small one and there's a few amount of roman things there and the shopping district is actually gorgeous. If you're finishing in Liverpool it's worth a visit for a coupe of hours before you hop on the Merseyrail (v cheap) across to LPool

+Quote Post
Emily Haines
post Jun 20 2017, 07:17 PM
Post #3
Gunshot Glitter™
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,790
   No Gallery Pics

If you want quintessential English then the Cotswolds is a good place to start. I haven't been in years but it's gorgeous. Somewhere like Stow on the Wold or Upper/Lower Slaughter just for the sheer prettiness.

+Quote Post
MoistSummerFruit
post Jun 20 2017, 07:30 PM
Post #4
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Oxford, there's one in Berskhire called Hartford or something? Tiiny and with thatch roofs. Full of poshies.

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jun 20 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

The Cotswolds is a great shout! If you're around that area I'd pay a visit to Malvern (and go for a nice walk up the hills while you're at it, lovely views on a clear day), Bourton-on-the-Water (lots to do there), Hay-on-Wye (great if you like books), Clun & Church Stretton (those two have great hill walks).

+Quote Post
Slick
post Jun 20 2017, 07:48 PM
Post #6
I got hot sauce in my bag, swag
Member No.: 70

Chester is a city as previously mentioned, but a good shout. Shrewsbury is a pretty little place and I've heard very good things about Stratford-Upon-Avon.

+Quote Post
Emily Haines
post Jun 20 2017, 07:53 PM
Post #7
Gunshot Glitter™
Member No.: 10,790
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(mdh @ Jun 20 2017, 08:33 PM) *
The Cotswolds is a great shout! If you're around that area I'd pay a visit to Malvern (and go for a nice walk up the hills while you're at it, lovely views on a clear day), Bourton-on-the-Water (lots to do there), Hay-on-Wye (great if you like books), Clun & Church Stretton (those two have great hill walks).

Malvern wub.gif

Hay-on-Wye is good too.

Ludlow is quite quaint too.

Stratford is lush! Lots to do there.

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jun 20 2017, 07:57 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

Ahh I love Stratford. I'm a bus ride away so it's lovely having a visit. Well worth watching a show at the RSC too.

+Quote Post
MoistSummerFruit
post Jun 20 2017, 07:59 PM
Post #9
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Ia Stratford next to reading?

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jun 20 2017, 10:07 PM
Post #10
Experience turns 25 this month
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Camden, Wallingford, Salisbury, that site with Stonehenge in it, Brecon Beacons, Bicester

+Quote Post
Harve
post Jun 21 2017, 12:29 AM
Post #11
cultural marxist
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

The Peak District is along the London-Liverpool route and I can't recommend it enough.
I recommend touring up the Derwent Valley through towns and large villages like Bakewell, Wirksworth, Cromford, Eyam and Castleton with culinary + industrial + geological heritage and then head somewhere a little more out of the way like Flash (highest village in the UK) or Kinder Scout (a large expanse of moorland, beautiful and bleak at the same time). In between these there are well kept villages of limestone that snake their way up steep dales where every building is from the 19th century or earlier.

This post has been edited by Harve: Jun 21 2017, 12:29 AM

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Jun 21 2017, 12:31 AM
Post #12
I'll be the actress starring in your bad dreams
Member No.: 20,947

Yeovil.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jun 21 2017, 12:33 AM
Post #13
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

LMAOOO how did I know seeing you post here it would be Yeovil *.*

+Quote Post
lotita
post Jun 21 2017, 12:35 AM
Post #14
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

SAM LMFAOOOO

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jun 21 2017, 03:52 AM
Post #15
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Harve @ Jun 21 2017, 01:29 AM) *
The Peak District is along the London-Liverpool route and I can't recommend it enough.
I recommend touring up the Derwent Valley through towns and large villages like Bakewell, Wirksworth, Cromford, Eyam and Castleton with culinary + industrial + geological heritage and then head somewhere a little more out of the way like Flash (highest village in the UK) or Kinder Scout (a large expanse of moorland, beautiful and bleak at the same time). In between these there are well kept villages of limestone that snake their way up steep dales where every building is from the 19th century or earlier.

Edale is picturesque (near to Kinder Scout) and it's on a railway line - yes the high speed link between Sheffield and Manchester....!

This post has been edited by Doctor Blind: Jun 21 2017, 03:52 AM

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jun 21 2017, 07:40 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Slick @ Jun 20 2017, 08:48 PM) *
Chester is a city as previously mentioned, but a good shout. Shrewsbury is a pretty little place and I've heard very good things about Stratford-Upon-Avon.

Yes, Shrewsbury is a nice town to visit.

+Quote Post
popchartfreak
post Jun 21 2017, 07:46 AM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Mansfield if you like railway viaducts. Anywhere else if you don't.....oops! tongue.gif

There are some nice villages in Dorset - ask Billy Bragg, he'll prob pop down the road to Tolpuddle any day now biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Harve
post Jun 21 2017, 07:47 AM
Post #18
cultural marxist
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jun 21 2017, 03:52 AM) *
Edale is picturesque (near to Kinder Scout) and it's on a railway line - yes the high speed link between Sheffield and Manchester....!

Nearby Winnat's Pass is actually the quickest and most direct way to get from Stockport and the southside of Manchester to Sheffield but we should keep that on the DL.

+Quote Post
lotita
post Jun 21 2017, 12:56 PM
Post #19
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

if good views/walks are ur thing too i suggest heading towards lulworth and ending up at durdledoor (my favourite place in dorset)!! i'm probably the wrong person to ask bc i pretty much live in the midst of what people call quaint villages so i usually just try to escape them and go to the woods/beach

also as always i have to suggest visiting stourhead (and go to my grandparents art gallery there!)

+Quote Post
Soy Adrián
post Jun 21 2017, 01:36 PM
Post #20
I'm so lonely, I paid a hobo to spoon with me
Member No.: 10,596

QUOTE(Harve @ Jun 21 2017, 08:47 AM) *
Nearby Winnat's Pass is actually the quickest and most direct way to get from Stockport and the southside of Manchester to Sheffield but we should keep that on the DL.

You can't beat a sunny drive over Snake Pass when there's not much traffic, though.

If you're in the Peaks, Castleton is lovely. Buxton is also rather nice if you want to go to somewhere a little larger.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 11:10 PM