BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BUZZJACK ERAS
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ᴄᴀɴɴɪʙᴀʟɪɴᴅs.
post Jun 21 2017, 12:07 AM
Post #1
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

After reminiscing with Craig about Dena which lead into a conversation about times of the past, it got me thinking about how I don't know v much about the site pre-2014 and like some of our newer members won't know about the peak of plug and all that came with that in recent years etc so I though why not make a topic where y'all can get reflective. What are the "eras" of this site to you? What are the real memorable/defining moments? Is it the people that have come and gone that make these eras etc? What so you think the sites next one will be? ohmy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sonia Fowler
post Jun 21 2017, 12:33 AM
Post #2
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,835

The years 2015 till now is my fave because Its when I started to enjoy the site more. 2014 was my chart geek year.

This post has been edited by HarryEzra: Jun 21 2017, 12:35 AM

+Quote Post
My Reputation
post Jun 21 2017, 12:44 AM
Post #3
I’m sorry, the old Andrew can’t come to the phone right now. 
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,161

I'm similar to you two in the amount of time I've been here so I'd probably say when I first joined but didn't post (late 2014) it looked really fun on here I guess laugh.gif My personal highlight was teams of course, yeah there were a few things that dampened it somehow but everyone's hard work as a forum was so so amazing in a way I've never seen and MRS <3<3

+Quote Post
Jade-o-Lantern🎃
post Jun 21 2017, 03:26 AM
Post #4
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

ESSAY TIME 'cause this thread is calling out for one

I joined BuzzJack as a 13-year-old in 2011 but I was solely confined to the Chart Forum and didn't venture into The Lounge until 2013! Glee was still relevant when I joined and I was obsessed with it to the point where most of my contributions were in the iTunes thread, tracking songs every time they moved up like 2 places on iTunes laugh.gif otherwise you could find me in the Sunday Chart Show thread pretty much posting the same things every week haha. I barely remember what the forum was like at the time (except me coming across many a Bré and Jester post in the Chart Forum!), I just remember being so happy that I could discuss the chart with other people that were obsessed.

I didn't have much of an attachment to the forum and would not post very often. However, fast forward to the summer of 2013 and I started posting a Personal Chart. I started talking to people in that area of the site and then branched out to The Lounge at last! I then got added to the rate list after being relevant for about a month laugh.gif I remember a few people saying good things about me (Liam and Jonjo come to mind!) but I got so many "idk ha" comments and negative comments as well, people saying I was annoying and that they had almost put me on block!! I was in the "annoying young person phase" at 15 though so I am not surprised. Think I finished in the 50s that year. What I can say about the forum is that it felt faaaar less positive than nowadays, posters would get called 'beige' in every other rate and I just remember a poster called Griff riling people up all the time on here (we always got on fine tho). One other thing I remember is that The Saturdays were mentioned a LOT hahaha. I won 'Best Emerging Poster' in the 2k13 awards and then kinda cleared off lmao (I specifically remember in the 2014 awards that Lee said I was the 'Michael Kiwanuka of the site' when Math now won the same award a year later - as in I had hype around me but then vanished, I mean I still contributed occasionally and climbed up to 28(?) in the 2014 rate as I was maturing, but my summer 2013 spamming dwindled as I started sixth form and focused most of my time on that). When I think of 2014 I think of Kath absolutely dominating the site and changing some lingo around here, it felt very ATRL at times. Anyway, I clearly still wasn't posting enough for y'all, was still only a regular chart poster and occasional Lounge poster, until...

February 2015! I was browsing The Lounge and saw this 'plug.dj' thread a few days after it had been created. I read that it was like a virtual turntable where we took in turns while discussing songs and thought this was SO COOL. I went on there and ended up staying on there all night because it was so much fun wub.gif I was interacting with loads of people here for the first time and I had such a good time that I came back for more. You guys started finding out more about my personality (Bré remembers that his first words to me on plug were "Are you Jade as in Buzzjack Jade?" because he was surprised and was seeing me in a different light laugh.gif) - clearly plug.dj helped me to come out of my shell and you guys welcomed me into the community properly so well wub.gif I was on plug.dj every single day for a while, connecting with Bray alongside some great tunes like 'Swoon', stanning an S Club Juniors medley and Galantis with Lee, talking to Toby properly for the first time (who I had given a 0 in the rate the previous year!!) and bonding over Gaga and soon finding out about Majela ZeZe Diamond, chatting to Jake for the first time who I thought was intimidating previously but we got on like a house on fire, having 'signature songs' with members like James, having an absolute HOOT with themed nights, going to random rooms and playing roulette in our room (omg that was a hot mess) and just ahhhh so much incredible bonding <333 That summer after finishing sixth form was incredible, it started becoming normal for me to be on plug until like 5am. This also meant that I branched out into The Lounge too (and was added to the 'Skype clique' chat) and became the regular poster you all know today! I have to say that year felt absolutely incredible in terms of community spirit, all thanks to plug! As well as in The Lounge, I also FINALLY joined BJSC after being approached by Bré two years prior and after being constantly nagged by April laugh.gif instantly became a new favourite part of the site. My other highlights from 2015 were the One Hit Wonders thread (a chart thread many of us stayed up for from like 6am until the evening), all the madness and fabness in The Lounge from Jultra and Spungergames to Mattias threads in the summer, rabb.it memories and just generally bonding with everyone properly. BJKO was my first taste of doing well in a popularity contest and it felt so crazy to be so appreciated by this site after merely being a fleeting presence for 4 years. The 2015 rate was my third but the first where I actually knew who everybody was! I wasn't used to so many positive comments after my previous rate experiences, going from the low 20s to 3rd was amazing. So yeah 2015 was a pretty important year for me on this site as I made so many connections and started posting loads daily. I'd call this the 'plug.dj' era that saw the rise of the likes of me and Mattias to the forefront ~ from like February to about late 2015 was its most active period I'd say, I think that era probably ended when Lee no longer was Lounge Mod as plug was all thanks to him. He was a big presence in The Lounge so it felt weird for our community to be rocked like that. Anyway, we'd see out 2015 with some more amazing posters leaving us like April for instance </3 and then... 2016 came!

The first development that comes into mind regarding 2016 was GIRL POWER around here. Me, April and Kath (when we thought she was female) felt like the only notable females around here for an absolute age, with Kelly for instance long gone. I think that partially put me off posting regularly here tbh. But then we'd finally get more females around here! Suddenly in 2016 I became a Lounge Mod on January 2nd (same day as Brade got together *.* a milestone for the site also - an actual heterosexual power couple!!) and I think I was the first female on the Lounge Mod team in 10 years! Anyway, aside from that we had UV now who would smash into the rate top 3 and Lottsey also a force to be reckoned with now! I feel like there were definitely some messy moments around here in the summer... like Polite Message-gate and Blushgate laugh.gif but what would this place be without its dramatic moments? I guess also The Lounge became a bit more carefree and spammy at times last year kink.gif but has felt less that way this year.

The main event of this year has definitely felt like it was Teams! I absolutely loved it and was chuffed to get a win on my first try. I love how invested everyone got in the tasks and you guys produced some great work. The Lounge still continues to be active and I think lots of us have such strong bonds with people here and care about this place. I feel like 2015 really rejuvenated the forum when it was declining and luckily we still have a strong community here. I am looking forward to the future of this site and eagerly anticipate the next time it feels like we have a new 'era' around here. It has been an absolute pleasure to see this place become far more welcoming and developing an admirable community spirit since about 2015, that year was the most exciting year I have EVER had on Buzzjack as I got to know a lot of you guys better for the first time and was suddenly a big hitter around here and no longer this repetitive chart poster who occasionally posted in The Lounge. 2016-17 have been wonderful too though, I have found my feet here and have continued to get to know so many of you guys well. May we continue to have more great times for many years to come. heart.gif

+Quote Post
TheStareCrow-dy
post Jun 21 2017, 05:00 AM
Post #5
technique on fleek cause I'm ballet trained
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

It really does feel like every single rate marks the end of an era, like it's New Year's Eve or something. Saying that, the big moment(s) were mainly of all of us coming together like what happened with the rise of plug.dj, although in less ideal circumstances. There was a lot of friction around September/October but then we all ended up coming together mourning the state of the world when Trump got elected. It's wrong on so many levels, but at the same time I felt that unity and the one thing that joined us together was how we celebrated diversity and freedom for so many ways of life.

I think I may be the only person to say this, but I started in the Lounge and ended up gaining my voice during the Chart Shows. Then getting on plug and getting exposed to the numerous memes of the site (which keep coming and which I'm getting slower at getting, ugh) kept me going. Ever since then, it's been more of a cycle for me, highs and lows and all. I think my biggest high so far was hosting Mafia last year - probably the biggest side project that I've completed, and what gave me the confidence to host and plan more stuff in the future. I think whatever I did in Mafia ended up translating to BJSC, which makes me glad.

+Quote Post
WitchHaus
post Jun 21 2017, 06:42 AM
Post #6
Henrietta R Hippo
Member No.: 13,007

There was a golden era when I won every single popularity contest for like 2+ years running and everyone loved me. That was my favourite era. smile.gif

~

But yeah, when plug came about, because I didn't really use it i distanced myself from a lot of what was going on and haven't fully reconnected to this place since. But I'm in a much better phase right now and it's nice to look back on the HAUS ERA (yes I'm calling it that) fondly but still enjoy subsequent ones now. Plus I made Buzzjack meet-ups a real sustained thing so I've left a legacy methinks and will always have that now. Bye x

Favourite all-time Buzzjack moments are Red Drips Teams / ATRL invading us.

This post has been edited by HausofSZA: Jun 21 2017, 06:44 AM

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jun 21 2017, 04:33 PM
Post #7
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I've witnessed all eras but sort of hung about in the background. I've been much more active since around 2013 tho.

Couldn't stick most of 2015 tbh, but everything else has been pretty good.

+Quote Post
Spun's Labyrinth
post Jun 21 2017, 04:43 PM
Post #8
ayyy lmao
Member No.: 21,005

Second half of 2015 and first half of 2016 for me.

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Jun 21 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #9
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Oh this is my favourite topic. I'd divide it up into about five eras.

2011-2012 to me were really exciting and memorable times because the Lounge felt so intimidating, Tirren, Jark, Shoat and Dandy (the lounge mods at the time) felt like gods among mortals and don't get me started on Jester and Slick (the GMs didn't feel as intimidating for some reason), but they and all the popular posters were always so entertaining to read. But it was brutal, I could post an out of place pony gif and suddenly have the entire place turn against me. I was being a bit of a shit looking back and I'm glad I had that experience because it, the Rate (where I crashed in low and resolved to do better next time) and the novelty of participating in BJSC made me interested enough to stay. That and getting my first ever internet moderation job in, ironically, Pop, I waxed on so much about how I loved pop music and I did at the time but ah. Then in early 2012 I fell in with a crew on an off-Buzzjack chat, the terrifying MSN clique, and scored a shock top 10 in the Lovechart that I never saw coming. Somehow I'd managed to completely turn my bland, then rocky start with this place into a winning formula and I was on such a roll that I got promoted to Lounge Mod (after the most lengthy application process where the MGMT at the time ALMOST didn't let me in, I've seen the chats).

2012-2013 was basically my era at the top of the community, after somehow winning the rate after less than 18 months on the site (and, never forget, hosting the results 75% by myself just after I got my A-Level results), I settled into being a successor to Tirren's magic and though I still wasn't that confident in it I ran events in a way that I think were a bit of a stepping stone from the in-jokey outrageous Lounge of the past to the caring and happy-go-lucky Lounge of the future - I wasn't always kind but mostly, and the Lounge had some little terrors at the time (mainly Griff). The successful Teams 2013 and my promotion to global mod kind of topped off this era to me, I'd become less involved on the ground but now I got to see behind the curtain in BJSC as well and it was the best of both worlds for me. Plus our (now Skype) team was getting bigger and I made some excellent friendships that still last to this day (even the ones who don't come on as often anymore).

The rest of 2013 to early 2015 I'd put into another era, I had a few trip-ups with my newfound responsibilities as I got used to them, I took over ROTD fully after helping RabbitFurCoat out with it the previous year and I guided the new Lounge Mods (with, bizarrely at the time, Lee, he was a good Lounge Mod but at the beginning everyone was uncertain about him). There was still some lingering outrageousness but it'd go down.

2015 was great for plug and while I had some great, some brilliant times on there and got to know a whole load of the new posters, it was almost to the detriment of the site, there was less conversation on here I felt, and of course the whole Lee controversy mired it towards the end for me. And then into early 2016 it felt like arguments were breaking out all over the place.

Honestly though, about mid-2016, about the time that my 50th entry didn't make it in BJSC (and I say that because I directly attribute that ill-judged, totally myself entry as a representation to how I felt about this place, I was going to be myself and not let anything get to me), I suddenly felt so at peace with every little controversy in this place and even though the Rate last year got a bit brutal I wasn't feeling personally affected anymore, and ever since then I've been really happy here and it's been a great escape from a pretty difficult year.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jun 21 2017, 06:19 PM
Post #10
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Shoat *.*

We need a comeback.

+Quote Post
HeadlessJockey
post Jun 21 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

We'll see about my eras.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jun 21 2017, 09:03 PM
Post #12
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

As someone who has been about here for a long time, certainly 2007-2008 is my favourite era. I had the most friends, was a proper member of the community and there were far too many brilliant moments to even reel off! Of course there have been times I have really enjoyed the site - certainly Red Drips was probably the highlight. Causing so much mischief and devastation so unexpectedly was hilarious. Plus the whole management by Dandy and Jester was just top class.

The BuzzJack chat room in 2007 was definitely a highlight. I mean this stuff happened 10 years ago!!! I still remember some of the events and incidents like yesterday.

+Quote Post
Spun's Labyrinth
post Jun 21 2017, 09:03 PM
Post #13
ayyy lmao
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(Mack @ Jun 21 2017, 09:38 PM) *
We'll see about my eras.
?

This post has been edited by Spinning Allie: Jun 21 2017, 09:03 PM

+Quote Post
Regina
post Jun 21 2017, 09:21 PM
Post #14
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

I read this as BRAS sad.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jun 22 2017, 12:11 AM
Post #15
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I think mid 2015 when Plug came about and really flourished was a big one, I always liked the site, fitted in etc., but I didn't have a group really until then, and made so many friends. I know it started in like March but it was summer that really made it for me, so many nights we'd stay on til like 5am and really bond, it'd be deep chats at 2am and then by 3am we'd getting My Strange Addiction or people explaining weird fetishes or some shit, and then by 4am we'd have moved onto Vine compilations or bad X Factor auditions laugh.gif It was such a happy time on the site and so many people got to know each other who wouldn't cross paths ever on Buzzjack.

+Quote Post
lot🎈IT🎈a
post Jun 22 2017, 12:13 AM
Post #16
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

WELCOME TO THE SQUIRREL ERA

+Quote Post
Ryan
post Jun 22 2017, 02:56 AM
Post #17
lol
Member No.: 774

I dunno like 2007 until 2009 for me? Maybe later. I still lurk but I never really post anymore. I do have some WONDERFUL memories from this site though. Hard to believe these moments are clocking on to nearly be TEN YEARS OLD.

I remember ADDING UP those LoveChart things or commentating on them. All very BIZZARE looking back.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jun 22 2017, 08:34 PM
Post #18
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(Ryan @ Jun 22 2017, 03:56 AM) *
I dunno like 2007 until 2009 for me? Maybe later. I still lurk but I never really post anymore. I do have some WONDERFUL memories from this site though. Hard to believe these moments are clocking on to nearly be TEN YEARS OLD.

I remember ADDING UP those LoveChart things or commentating on them. All very BIZZARE looking back.

It feels weird I have known you 10 years. Infact it's about downright freaky.

+Quote Post
dandyman* 🐝🐝
post Jun 22 2017, 09:40 PM
Post #19
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Rooney @ Jun 21 2017, 10:03 PM) *
As someone who has been about here for a long time, certainly 2007-2008 is my favourite era. I had the most friends, was a proper member of the community and there were far too many brilliant moments to even reel off! Of course there have been times I have really enjoyed the site - certainly Red Drips was probably the highlight. Causing so much mischief and devastation so unexpectedly was hilarious. Plus the whole management by Dandy and Jester was just top class.

The BuzzJack chat room in 2007 was definitely a highlight. I mean this stuff happened 10 years ago!!! I still remember some of the events and incidents like yesterday.

You know I really enjoyed running teams with Jester that year, that's probably my favourite buzzjack moment - despite all the effort it took!

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jun 22 2017, 09:55 PM
Post #20
WINTER IS COMING

QUOTE(dandy* @ Jun 22 2017, 10:40 PM) *
You know I really enjoyed running teams with Jester that year, that's probably my favourite buzzjack moment - despite all the effort it took!

I think in my 11 years on the site, it was by far the most organised and structured event I have seen in the Lounge. It was great, all the tasks were highly original, it was well managed and I think it captured a lot about what was good (and some bad) about the site at the time. Certainly I think that was the most fun I have ever had on BuzzJack this decade.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 02:15 PM