BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question on Learning Method
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
bbn
post Jun 24 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #1
New Entry
Group: Members
Member No.: 33,959
   No Gallery Pics

Hello guys,
I am from Hong Kong and I just signed up here to ask something about music learning method that I have been considering for years.

For those people that I always see in music lives or videos, I feel they are expressing themselves freely. In my explanation, people have something popped up in their brains, and then those "matter" just gone through their fingers and the music spill out in the form that they appeared in people’s brains.

I am so frustrated because I cannot. I know how to play some instruments but I consider myself as not knowing music. What’s the meaning of learning how to “play” songs just like finishing a school assignment? I can play many songs but I even don’t know how to play a note when I am joining a street performance. Basic techniques is a must, but there is something more to make someone a musician.

So I was thinking, people should be able to go through two process in order to do what I have been longing for. First they should have a coding system that transfer message from the outside into their own messages, second they should be skillful enough to express them without any loss in content (to be exact, as little as possible). The later one may relate to practice, but the former one seems hard to me. This is to learn a language, at least a person have to know the basic elements, like, specific combination of notes, in order to build up a phrase or the whole thing. I have never been taught to do the coding, so I just don’t know how to use music as a media to tell my own messages.

Recently I found a video(youtube: 0fAGn3C3RHs) teaching people about improvisation. It tells me how to explore more different combinations and how to create different new combos with things already in hand. That’s what I think a teacher should do, to make the student able to use the “music blocks” to build their own arts. I always wonder if teachers in Western countries have different approach in teaching these, is there any other funny or effective ways to achieve this? Or is it only about talent? As to answer myself, I am surely not a gifted person, but there must be more I can do.

So I am posting here to look for some opinions. I started over with the drums lately. Drills on other instruments (especially piano) are also welcomed as I want to do music arrangement too. What kind of training or practices you usually have? Thanks so much for reading this.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 04:30 AM