BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> -

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is the singles chart better for you with the new rules
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Time to reflect
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 54
Guests cannot vote 
Mart!n
post Jul 8 2017, 09:04 AM
Post #1
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 2

For me, currently I'm stuck in the middle until I get to grips with the new rules, but I'm probably leaning towards option A, as more acts can enter the Top 40 singles chart, instead of having 1 or 2 entries a week. My only problem with it, Bryan Adams record reign at #1 will be hard to break sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
danG
post Jul 8 2017, 09:08 AM
Post #2
putting the DAN (feat. Quavo) in dance music
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mart!n @ Jul 8 2017, 10:04 AM) *
For me, currently I'm stuck in the middle until I get to grips with the new rules, but I'm probably leaning towards option A, as more acts can enter the Top 40 singles chart, instead of having 1 or 2 entries a week. My only problem with it, Bryan Adams record reign at #1 will be hard to break sad.gif

It was hard to break anyway. If Drake and Ed Sheeran couldn't do it, I don't think anyone can. I'm personally glad that we won't be having songs spend upwards of 15 weeks at #1 anyway.

+Quote Post
AcerBen
post Jul 8 2017, 09:13 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 3,429
   No Gallery Pics

I'm glad no one will be able to top Bryan Adams, because it's a lot easier to do extended runs with streams so it wouldn't really mean anything.

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Jul 8 2017, 09:18 AM
Post #4
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(danG @ Jul 8 2017, 10:08 AM) *
It was hard to break anyway. If Drake and Ed Sheeran couldn't do it, I don't think anyone can. I'm personally glad that we won't be having songs spend upwards of 15 weeks at #1 anyway.

True... it would get boring after awhile, One Dance was a tad too much in the end.

+Quote Post
cq(uavo)merqn
post Jul 8 2017, 09:37 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Went for stuck in the middle.

Sure, it helps smaller acts hit the top 40. Chasing Highs for example. Although it's down to just pure manipulation. Many songs below it probably sold more but are getting punished for it.

+Quote Post
Rob S~
post Jul 8 2017, 09:50 AM
Post #6
Slaying the top end of buzzrate after 10 years!
Member No.: 3,804
   No Gallery Pics

I'm in the middle. It's definitely better in terms of boosting newer songs like Sigala, ALMA, Post Malone & Hailee & I love that it makes the movement faster as everyone wants that.

The ACR thing I'm not sure on though, it was necessary for the album tracks stuff & im enjoying the clutter being freshened up too but for me I'm not keen on it resulting in large drops even for songs like Shape of You, I didn't really like it the way it was but the 11-23 drop just seems so odd after all that time & it makes the chart look not so genuine & despite it keeping chart listeners interested for the newer music getting a better advantage it just feels like the chart from a natural standpoint has lost what made it special to start with. I know streaming & lack of movement doesn't keep people interested either though... its a hard one.

This post has been edited by Rob S~: Jul 8 2017, 09:52 AM

+Quote Post
360Jupiter
post Jul 8 2017, 09:56 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

It's more fun to follow, but it stings that it's essentially a made up chart now that doesn't do what it says on the tin. So I'm in the middle.

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Jul 8 2017, 10:00 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

I was a bit baffled by it about a week or two ago. But I think what our good chart watching friend James Masterton said on the matter is spot on: http://www.masterton.co.uk/2017/06/the-great-chart-shake-up/

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Jul 8 2017, 10:01 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Well for me on a personal level it's for the better as it makes the Friday Chart Shows more interesting which is the only Chart-related aspect I have any interest in these days. I don't agree with the change on every other level though.

+Quote Post
Rob S~
post Jul 8 2017, 10:25 AM
Post #10
Slaying the top end of buzzrate after 10 years!
Member No.: 3,804
   No Gallery Pics

I do think that mammoth drop for Castle is ridiculous. Kinda highlights the negative side of these rules. It's obvious to anymore reading those charts that comment on the OCC site that there's manipulation involved & doesn't improve the chart anymore than it did before except for people wanting fresh new entries increasing & better movement to remove the stagnation. It kinda looks like a sales chart (aside from Post & Lil Uzi) more than anything.

+Quote Post
Lenny
post Jul 8 2017, 10:34 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

It's too early to say. We've only seen one chart going from one rule format to another - give it a few weeks and we'll see how the chart will really be moving.

+Quote Post
JosephStyles
post Jul 8 2017, 01:44 PM
Post #12
dreadlocked hair don't care
Member No.: 13,530

Better! The chart show yesterday felt so much better because we got a couple of new entries that wouldn't have made it otherwise. It's important for new music to be represented better in the charts and this is exactly what the ACR rule is all about, so it's doing a great job so far imo.

The three-per-artist thing hasn't really come into effect too much yet, we'll see what that's like when someone like Justin Bieber releases an album laugh.gif

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Jul 8 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #13
The Navigator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

I hope it is a better change than before. I'd like to see more new music chart higher, but time will tell.

+Quote Post
zenon
post Jul 8 2017, 03:22 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 8,809
   No Gallery Pics

A hundred times better than the old level playing field streaming ratio! More fresh music.

+Quote Post
KY420
post Jul 8 2017, 04:15 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 30,748
   No Gallery Pics

My issue with the ongoing changes are that outside of listening to music, my next favourite thing is monitoring all kinds of records. Whether these are sales based, or most weeks spent inside certain positions etc.

If they continue to attack streams in this way I would like to see them split the records into Old Era and New Era. I love seeing all kinds of records broken and these changes further cement every current record in place. Everyone loves seeing a World Record or Olympic Record beaten, and whilst the rush is much less in music it's still great when it happens.

We will never see any standing Record, Sales or Weeks based, broken under the new rules and I doubt this'll be the end of the attack on streaming. Anyway that's my piece, I'll stop going on about it now. It was what it is. There are many other ways to promote the freshness of new music but hey ho.

+Quote Post
No Sleeep
post Jul 8 2017, 08:10 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 22,008
   No Gallery Pics

I can't believe people think it's a bad idea. I don't care about the charts anymore, my faves have long since fallen out of favour with the gp, but it's ridiculous to look at the charts nowadays and say "Ed Sheeran's bigger than MJ and Madonna!!". It's impossible to make a fair comparison between the sales and the streaming era. They need to either stick with the "Official Singles Chart" and have only record label nominated singles be eligible to chart or give up and rebrand it as the Hot 100. Preferably the former!

+Quote Post
Supercell
post Jul 8 2017, 08:19 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 11,831
   No Gallery Pics

I don't mind the album rules so much, as they had to do something about the Ed Sheeran fiasco as that was just plain ridiculous. But I think they could have gone about it a slightly better way than they have done, preventing previous singles from charting just because they aren't in the top 3 bestsellers is a bit harsh.

But for the singles chart I just think these rules are stupid;

1) They are super confusing and makes following the chart even more difficult.

2) Don't make any sense at all as to why after 10 weeks (why 10 weeks not shorter timespan) a song should suddenly loose half of its streaming. Either have it 300:1 all the way or dont bother.

3) After all is said and done I really do not believe this is going to make a vast amount of difference. This week it has due to the amount of clutter that was eligible to be stripped of its streaming, but the next few weeks may see one or maybe two songs being penalised so really thats only going to allow maybe one or two extra songs to chart, but i suppose over time we will see.

I can see them altering these rules several times before they (and certain record labels) are happy with the result. Streaming really is a doubled edged sword of acting as a new sales platform but also as airplay due to people listening to the same song over and over again without any limit on how its added to the chart, allowing songs to rack up months and months within the top 40. However, trying to enforce an artificial chart run imho is just manipulation and isn't going to solve the problems streaming creates.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 06:52 PM