BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Driverless Cars
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Driverless Cars
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 15
Guests cannot vote 
danG
post Jul 10 2017, 07:51 PM
Post #1
Danvīci
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

What do you think of self-driving / driverless cars? Will they fully replace human drivers in the future, and should they?

In theory less accidents and deaths will occur from a lack of human error or dangerous driving, though there is still the possibility for accidents to occur.

My dad is very against the idea of driverless cars but I think it's a good idea, although one that of course needs a lot more development before these cars become a real presence on the road. What are your thoughts?

A list of pros and cons can be found here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jul 10 2017, 08:29 PM
Post #2
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I'm unsure. AI isn't developed enough yet to be able to make complicated judgement calls the same way an experienced driver can. Like if your tyre blows at 70mph in the middle of a busy motorway, you're probably in for a nasty accident but you do have limited control to minimise harm so if on one side you've a young family and the other side a concrete barrier you're gonna aim for the barrier even if it badly hurts you. That kind of thinking and then the ability to justify that isn't something that current AI technology is capable of, nor our legal system able to deal with.

Personally I like the idea of assisted driving for motorway driving. Both my current car and last car had an adaptive cruise control system that works amazingly. So Tesla's Autopilot mode is about as much as I'm comfortable with and there's a driver ready to intervene when necessary.

I love driving though so I'll probably never buy an fully autonomous vehicle.

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Jul 10 2017, 08:44 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

In theory (and a perfect environment of course) it seems like a brilliant idea really. Not only would it lessen incidents but it'll make traffic WAY more bearable (and eliminate useless drivers). But obviously there'll be monumental hurdles to jump before this becomes an widespread reality.

But like Silas I really enjoy driving myself so the idea of being self-driven by my own car just doesn't feel right!

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jul 10 2017, 09:13 PM
Post #4
Just another burden on the welfare state
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Appalling idea really. It only really works if all cars end up driverless because some cars won't have the same characteristics as these cars. I also think that these cars will never have human characteristics. Also imagine what the roads would be like if you didn't have to take a driving test to be on the road drama.gif

(Btw I haven't read the article so don't kill me if I've got my facts wrong)

+Quote Post
danG
post Jul 10 2017, 09:53 PM
Post #5
Danvīci
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

you'd still have to have a license to operate one of these cars, presumably - unless it's fully automatic and therefore no opportunity for you to be a bad driver.

+Quote Post
SouthsideSpinner
post Jul 10 2017, 10:58 PM
Post #6
ayyy lmao
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(Silas @ Jul 10 2017, 09:29 PM) *
I'm unsure. AI isn't developed enough yet to be able to make complicated judgement calls the same way an experienced driver can. Like if your tyre blows at 70mph in the middle of a busy motorway, you're probably in for a nasty accident but you do have limited control to minimise harm so if on one side you've a young family and the other side a concrete barrier you're gonna aim for the barrier even if it badly hurts you. That kind of thinking and then the ability to justify that isn't something that current AI technology is capable of, nor our legal system able to deal with.
Personally I like the idea of assisted driving for motorway driving.
stealing this for my response tbh cool2.gif

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jul 11 2017, 11:19 AM
Post #7
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I'm a bit unsure about it really, as others have suggested it only really is safe to work in an environment where ALL cars are driverless - where you have both human driven and driverless cars there are bound to be significant problems. It also will be a huge job killer !

It would probably be far better for us to spend our time and effort improving zero carbon/electric cars and building a public infrastructure network that is fit for the 21st Century and discourages driving where unnecessary. In France for example you can travel from Avignon to Paris in under 3 hours (I know I did it in May), that's a distance of over 400 miles at an average speed of just under 150 mph. In Britain the equivalent distance from London to Edinburgh takes about an hour and a half longer at under 2/3rds the speed. In East Anglia when the temperature rises above 27C there are speed restrictions between Liverpool St and Colchester reducing the capacity of the network to around 1/2 and causing utter chaos. The transport network in this country is an embarrassment!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 11:09 PM