BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does Reality TV make you stupid?!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jack
post Jul 19 2017, 07:47 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 223

With Love Island blowing up in popularity and shows of a similar nature starting to do well again, people have been quick to comment on people on the show calling it trash etc. I get that, it is trash.

BUT I don't think people should comment on what other people enjoy - I don't comment on others music taste, what they enjoy, what shows they watch etc. I think it's really ignorant and snobbish to do so - I enjoy Reality TV but you're going to say I'm stupid for doing so?!

Interested to see what others opinions are. GO.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SPINEMATIC
post Jul 19 2017, 07:50 PM
Post #2
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

I wouldn't use that word. People find all sorts of things entertaining for sure, the only thing is not to get too distracted by it.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jul 19 2017, 10:12 PM
Post #3
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I don't have any interest in watching Love Island despite the rest of my household being obsessed with it, but of course not! We all like what we like and I would never be a snob in regards to what people are into. I stopped watching Big Brother this year but I watched like 8 civilian series in a row prior to 2017. I still watch The Apprentice, Britain's Got Talent and X Factor in terms of reality shows and don't think this makes me less intelligent at all. I hate music snobbery (what's wrong with enjoying the music of S Club 8, gosh) and so this will of course extend to TV snobbery. Obviously slam a show all you want for how bad it is but don't deem another person stupid for getting some joy from it~

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Jul 19 2017, 10:41 PM
Post #4
white girl wasted on brown liquor
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

Love Island has been my favourite show this year and last year. Love how much it's blown up this year. I'm fully aware it's trash but it doesn't stop me watching it, it's so fun and addictive. The people who judge others for watching reality TV are exactly like those who judge people for not listening to 'real music' 🙄 Judgemental and self-righteous.

+Quote Post
The Diplomat
post Jul 19 2017, 10:43 PM
Post #5
Life is too short for shade.
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

No watching reality TV doesn't it doesn't make you stupid any more than watching anything else other than news or documentaries (which are the only two things you can watch on TV that do probably make you more intelligent). Entertainment is as important as knowledge with TV though.

I don't think many people watching reality TV get fooled by contestants playing for the cameras in reality shows such as Big Brother, through devices such as showmances.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Jul 19 2017, 10:52 PM
Post #6
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

The only reality shows where I would say this stands is stuff like TOWIE/Made in Chelsea etc. I genuinely DO NOT GET IT and is the only example of where I felt my brain slowly dying as I watched about 5 minutes of the former.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jul 20 2017, 01:49 AM
Post #7
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I absolutely hate when people dismiss it and call it trash, it really is the same people who'd use the term "real music". I love reality TV, whether it's X Factor, Big Brother or something like Strictly. I f***ing HATE I'm A Celeb though, I hate how that seems to get a free pass when it's as regurgitated as any other, the same trials, the same sort of people, the same shit joeks from Ant & Dec... But anyway, I like most reality TV in competition form, it intensifies it and you can get so absorbed in your faves etc! My interest stems from Big Brother, which I fell into because I just love to watch people and how they interact, that's why I study psychology and loe social psychology in particular. Of course recent UK series have deviated from that a bit, but I keep watching but I do just love watching people in these environments, how they interact and behave, how what happens affects them. I hope that doesn't sound really pretentious laugh.gif Either way, even if you just love the drama (I do too x), it's what you enjoy. I enjoy "real" TV like critically acclaimed dramas and gritty social documentaries, but I just like a bit of trashy reality drama too. You can watch whatever you want for whatever reason, I know that I'm not stupid for enjoying Big Brother or X Factor, the former I've already said and the latter is just quite an easy Saturday watch. I do prefer reality at its core though like the US format of Big Brother. Either way, whether you religiously watch Love Island, analyse BBUS or you just watch BBC4 all day, watch whatever you like. It has no bearing on your intelligence. Funnily enough people irl who say me watching Big Brother is dumb or whatever are the sort who actually find shit like Michael McIntyre or Harry Hill funny... But that is sitll their choice, I'll be baffled and not get it but they can watch it. I won't judge them so why judge me, just don't watch it if it's that bad laugh.gif I don't get people who always comment on like Digital Spy facebook links like "NOBODY CARES!1!" on every BB story, there's plenty I don't care about on my FB feed, I just go past it....

I agree with Froot though I don't get the appeal at all of structured reality like TOWIE, although I don't mind American ones like Real Housewives or Dance Moms. I think they just go all out with it whereas TOWIE and MIC try too hard and it just all suffers as a result. Then Geordie Shore is all about sex and drink, plus the worst of all Ex On The BEach I f***ing hate for stirring up people's personal lives and troubles for ratings and "drama" by making them clash with exes. That's why I moan so often in the reality forum about the state of BB now, because it's becoming what I hate about other shows :/

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Jul 20 2017, 07:23 AM
Post #8
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

I associate the likes of X Factor, Strictly, The Voice, BGT etc. to be talent shows rather than reality TV in a way, so I think it would be a bit harsh if these people associate those with "being thick" (even though it's harsh in general as well).

It's all about personal preference though. I agree with the scripted ones though, should call them soaps as they are just Corrie/Eastenders but for the younger generation in my opinion.

The only one I've taken an interest in is Geordie Shore and that was only because I'm from Newcastle so watched to recognise places and see if I was ever on camera (I counted two times)! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Jul 20 2017, 09:23 AM
Post #9
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I wouldn't say you're stupid for watching reality TV, although it's hard to argue against the prevailing wind in this thread without it seeming like a personal attack, but I wouldn't, if only because I know what it's like to see my own completely different TV preferences generalised and ridiculed by others. Watch what you want.

However, here's my perception of them, I've not got a lot of experience in watching it, mostly when I've caught it incidentally but from the outside, it seems like the worst parts of fame culture and people clambering over each other to get a sniff of that fame culture (that's a big part of my dislike of it, I really don't like shows that have characters who never work together in a heartwarming way but rather have big seemingly pointless 'drama'). And all that in overly long and time-wasting TV shows that attempt to sell the most ads to their audience in between by putting in the minimal effort into the actual content. Now that's probably not true of all of them but they have a really bad reputation in my mind. The one thing that might appeal to me is the 'game player' archetype that I hear is in some of them but the prospect of wading through so much crap to get to that but I know just where to find that sort of thing in a scripted series, made by professional writers...

Additionally, to watch them it seems like they demand so much time that you must watch or risk falling behind, I'd far rather stick to TV schedules that give one episode a week that can be watched at your own pace as long as you're careful if there's a risk of spoilers. I see this on Skype, one finishes and in a week everyone's buzzing about the next one, sometimes for hours in an evening on end and I don't know how they do it because if only based on my experience of the X Factor, things just remain the same, annoyingly so and I couldn't imagine dedicating that much free time for so many. And there's that image I get of presenters explaining everything all the time which doesn't help the perception that some think they are stupid.

I see Liam (and other)'s points, I get that some people enjoy them, maybe even for the same reasons that I don't like them just phrased positively but I don't have enough experience to objectively call it trash and I don't particularly want to suffer it so I can do that.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jul 20 2017, 03:05 PM
Post #10
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

It doesn't make anyone stupid. I know lots of intelligent people that watch Love Island, etc.

It's not for me though but that's because I like different things, not because I'm more intelligent than anyone else. For me, fiction is the best, that's when I can take myself out of my world and put myself in another. I like interesting storylines and strong characters.

I do worry about the kids watching reality tv though. I often think some of the scenarios that crop up in school are down to the kids seeing unstable people on BB having meltdowns and thinking that's the normal way to live your life.

+Quote Post
Flatcap
post Jul 21 2017, 06:33 AM
Post #11
Gunpowder!
Member No.: 27
   No Gallery Pics

No, it makes you different from me that is all. I only watch sport, documentaries and game shows with a bit of news and Parliament thrown in.

I wonder if anyone else watches the BBC Parliament channel... thinking.gif

+Quote Post
Mack'sXmasSack
post Jul 21 2017, 12:10 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

I wouldn't say watching Reality TV makes you look stupid either.

I've never got the appeal though of shows like TOWIE, Made In Chelsea, The Real Housewives of ........, Geordie Shore, Ex On The Beach though.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 21 2017, 12:21 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Nothing on TV, reality or otherwise, MAKES one stupid. For me, though, if it's a choice between watching vain people with nothing much of interest to say other than who is shagging who (yes I have turned the channel over at the wrong moment several times laugh.gif) or Newsnight, I'll opt for the news. Or Family Guy. Or Spongebob Squarepants. Or Dora The Explorer.

Anything but cricket and golf, got to draw the line somewhere... tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Jul 21 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #14
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

I think you are good as long as you realize it's cheap entertainment and don't try to mimic its shallow qualities in your own social life.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Jul 21 2017, 04:09 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,161

Ugh it's exactly like music snobbery which I hate, whenever my dad sees me watching CBB or even Strictly he goes on about it being 'trash TV' and in CBB's case ' TV for Chavs' mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Jul 21 2017, 04:40 PM
Post #16
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I think some reality TV has merit beyond that of just simple entertainment. Like Liam said, it can be better than any genre at good at social commentary, especially if it has a interesting concept or a niche appeal. I enjoyed the likes of I'm a Celebrity, The Apprentice and Hunted in this respect, and I even watched Big Brother before Channel 5 took over as it was a pretty innovative concept as well as pretty entertaining.

The problem is, and I saw this with Big Brother before I gave up with it, is that it's too easy to manipulate and now pretty much the only focus that comes out of it is 'create as much drama/gossip as possible, and give time to the most unlikeable douches possible as it helps ratings/gets people talking', it's all the same these days, and even the shows I mentioned that I liked like The Apprentice I can see are also pandering to this (also things like X Factor which I just can't watch anymore for how fabricated it all is). It just seems like it's all the same thing these days and why I avoid the genre (and have no interest in whatever this Love Island thing is that everyone's talking about).

So while I DO think that it could easily be 'smarter' than it is, I wouldn't call it stupid. It's just simple escapism, we all need it, I get it from random YouTube videos, some people get it from these shows, and I've got no issue with that at all. As long as you take it for what it is and don't emulate them in your own life as others have said.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Jul 21 2017, 04:41 PM

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Jul 21 2017, 05:16 PM
Post #17
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jul 21 2017, 12:40 PM) *
So while I DO think that it could easily be 'smarter' than it is, I wouldn't call it stupid. It's just simple escapism, we all need it, I get it from random YouTube videos, some people get it from these shows, and I've got no issue with that at all. As long as you take it for what it is and don't emulate them in your own life as others have said.

Word.

(I love your avatar omg)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 03:54 AM