BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SUMMER READING
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Josh!
post Jul 21 2017, 07:55 PM
Post #1
c:
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,692

I do rather enjoy reading books but I know a lot of people only really get time during Summer when they're sunbathing on holiday and school or other education is over and exams are out of the way. So, I was wondering what books are on your reading list this Summer?

This is what my pile of books to get through looks like at the moment:

I'd love to see anything great you've read recently and would recommend too. There's always more great stuff to read.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
troublepink
post Jul 21 2017, 08:12 PM
Post #2
On This Day in P!nk History...
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 590

Streetcat Bob wub.gif brilliant story! Have you seen the film? I've met James and Bob a couple of times, they're so nice!

I'm always reading, but I'm a slow reader. Took me just over three months to read the 5th Outlander book (it was 1000+ pages though). I've just read 'the ghost that haunted itself' which is about the spooky goings on in Greyfriars Kirkyard in Edinburgh and I'm currently reading 'a headful of ghosts', only just started that one, so far so good!

+Quote Post
Shaphne
post Jul 21 2017, 08:33 PM
Post #3
Ooga Boo
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 5,572

I've been reading a lot this year, ironically when my eye sight is getting so bad laugh.gif

So far read:

Lauren Graham - Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls (and Everything in Between)
James Franco - Palo Alto
James Franco - Actors Anonymous
Lisa Genova - Still Alice
Austin Wright - Nocturnal Animals
Nathan Filer - The Shock of the Fall
Dan Abnett - Lara Croft and the Blade of Gwynnever

Loved all of them, major props to James though, such a talented writer. The way he manages to write such different stories but still manages to intertwin them blew me away.
Always love a good Lara Croft adventure too, this one wouldn't translate to a game well so I'm glad her world has tranferred to the written page.
Still Alice and Nocturnal Animals were solid movies and the books are equally brill. Both really well translated.

Currently reading One for the Money by Janet Evanovich. The movie is one of my all time faves. One thing I love about going to the book after the movie is i can easily picture the characters and have their voices, which makes it more fun to read.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Jul 21 2017, 08:48 PM
Post #4
Always Watching...
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I'm currently reading this:

It's a Japanese dystopia and is three volumes in one which is almost 1300 pages long, I fancied a challenge kink.gif It's very intriguing so far, gonna see how much I can get through in the summer, might even finish the first one :')

Also on my list is To Kill a Mockingbird (started this a while back) and Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (I'm only halfway through this, but I would definitely recommend it to a lot of you given the amount of introverts on here!)

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Jul 21 2017, 08:48 PM

+Quote Post
M.
post Jul 22 2017, 07:49 AM
Post #5
// some kind of Estonian crab
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jul 21 2017, 09:48 PM) *
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (I'm only halfway through this, but I would definitely recommend it to a lot of you given the amount of introverts on here!)

I've read about this many times during my trawls of psychology-related websites etc, think it's about time I give it a go sometime! (Although the odd time I wonder if I'm really a repressed extrovert heehee.gif - I'm certainly not as extreme of an introvert these days as I've been led to believe by myself. Although shallow and predictable small talk can piss off smile.gif)

Speaking of psychology, those are the kinds of books I have on my reading list at the moment! I've got one about the theories of supposed correlations between people's appearances and their personalities, as well as one of the more major and important psychology books out there: Psychological Types by Carl Jung. I'm starting a course in psychology soon so these should come in handy.

+Quote Post
AllWeKnowOfSpadz
post Jul 22 2017, 08:45 AM
Post #6
Don't need you to tell me I'm so cynical
Member No.: 21,005

Although the odd time I wonder if I'm really a repressed extrovert
I've expressed this thought in different words before on here and I'd say I used to be, a few years before my teens I was much less introverted, although I do remember I enjoyed time by myself too. I was a cyberambivert until the end of last year but there could be a chance I return to that eventually.

(I can't concerntrate on reading books any more :'( have to resort to audiobooks these days tongue.gif may download the Series of Unfortunate Events ones this year!)

+Quote Post
Flatcap
post Jul 22 2017, 12:36 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 27
   No Gallery Pics

I have quite a long reading list. I thought I would set down a motivational list (bucket list is too fatalistic for me) and the reading list is a sub list of that. It was set during the period of unemployment and reading was a cheap way to give me a sense of achievement. Receiving job rejection communications can be rather depressing. Other more expensive items are on the main list and other sub lists. Bit of background to why the list was formed.

Back to the reading list, I am currently reading Christendom Destroyed: Europe 1517-1648 by Mark Greengrass. Other books on the list include the works of Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy and Jane Austen. There are royal biographies on the list (recently finished one on Queen Victoria and one on Queen Anne). Other books on European history are also included on the list. It currently stands at 120 books, more will be added as and when I complete a few more. Otherwise it will be too big a mountain for me to climb..

+Quote Post
LUKΞ
post Jul 22 2017, 12:36 PM
Post #8
I can't deny your appetite
Member No.: 3,609
   No Gallery Pics

I'm currently reading 'go set a watchman' by Harper Lee, I didn't realise it is a sequel (?) to 'to kill a mockingbird' so I should probably read that too after I finish this book ha.

This post has been edited by LUKΞ: Jul 22 2017, 12:47 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2017 - 01:56 PM