BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Artists who were OAW (One Album Wonders) for you?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post Aug 3 2017, 06:07 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

I'm sure we all have this in our music collections somewhere, that one artist/band of whom we own one or two albums: the first usually being their life affirming, brilliant debut album that we played to death at time of its release.

The other, if we took the plunge and bought it, the phenomenally difficult and disappointing second album, so much of a letdown after the majesty of that debut that it rendered all other future releases from the artist obsolete and which hasn't been touched and has gathered dust from the moment it was laid to rest on the CD shelf, or sat with a solitary single play of each of its tracks on our iTunes library.

I'll start with mine, after coming across their 'Take Me Out' video on a music channel yesterday: Franz Ferdinand. Brilliant debut album that I had pretty much on loop throughout 2004, loved all the singles off it. Then, 'Do You Want To' aside, every album and single they released after that was self absorbed piffle and the sound of them (but mostly Alex Kapranos) disappearing up their own backside.

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: Aug 3 2017, 06:07 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saenerys
post Aug 3 2017, 06:09 PM
Post #2
Pleased to meet you barbershop quartet.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

Definitely agree with you - Franz Ferdinand's debut was simply perfect! Auf Ausche (I cannot spell) was brilliant.

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post Aug 3 2017, 06:18 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 23,961
   No Gallery Pics

Arcade Fire - Funeral is a brilliant album. Neon Bible is alright and has some good songs on it but is not in the same class. The same applies to their subsequent albums.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Aug 3 2017, 06:30 PM
Post #4
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I have more of these than I thought!

Lame example first but Orson. Bright Idea was my second most played album of 2006 (after Pink's I'm Not Dead). Absolutely adored it. And I do like Culture Vultures but I haven't played it nearly as much.

Foster The People. Played Torches to death, can barely name anything of off Supermodel.

Bruno Mars. Doo Wops and Hooligans was a fantastic album for me. I have his others and they're pretty ok but not the same.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Aug 3 2017, 08:10 PM
Post #5
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Member No.: 51

One that does immediately come to mind is Ladyhawke. Amazing debut album, probably the biggest drop off in quality I'd ever seen between a first and second album. Admittedly I haven't heard her recent third album (yet?), but I did quite like 'A Love Song' so maybe.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Aug 3 2017, 08:21 PM
Post #6
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Elastica. Their debut album is one of the finest Britpop albums, their 2nd album was rather pants. It did help to kick off MIA's career though.

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Aug 3 2017, 09:06 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 19,585

Scissor Sisters for me. Their debut is just stunning and everything that has followed since really doesn't compare.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Aug 4 2017, 11:14 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Lana Del Rey to an extent. Born to Die is one of my all-time favourites but I've not found any of her following albums have come close. There's a big handful of songs she's released since that I love though and I'd say I now like all songs from Ultraviolence, but it's a shame I've not experienced anything as consistently strong as her breakthrough.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Aug 4 2017, 11:35 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 116

Avicii for sure, Stories is massively inferior to True, which was easily my favourite album of 2013.

I'm fearful that Sheppard are heading in the same direction...Bombs Away is my favourite album of this decade to date, yet their three latest singles - presumably to trail an upcoming album - have only been varying levels of average to good and don't even really touch the weaker tracks on Bombs Away.

+Quote Post
ThePensmith
post Aug 4 2017, 11:51 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

Totally agree with both Ladyhawke and Scissor Sisters! Their debut albums were incredible but yeah. Underwhelming second albums (although I did quite like Ta-Dah. Some quite good singles on it - 'She's My Man' for instance.)

+Quote Post
HarryEzra
post Aug 4 2017, 11:59 AM
Post #11
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,835

LadyHawke is a big one of me I loved her debut so much wub.gif Little Boots as well!

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Aug 4 2017, 12:04 PM
Post #12
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Definitely agree with Lana but I feel much stronger laugh.gif Born To Die: Paradise is probably in my top 40 of all time, there's barely a dud track on it and Dark Paradise, National Anthem, BTD and Video Games especially are amazing. But since then she's just kept going downhill, Ultraviolence and Honeymoon were awful, the latter is one of the worst albums I've ever heard in my life. I just don't get the fuss around her since BTD, most of her stuff sounds the same boring, dull mess, the new directions she's tried I don't like (yawn at the Cocachella hippy flower girl bore on Ultraviolence) and anything that sounds like it belongs on BTD I just think "she's already done that 10x better on Born To Die". The only songs I like since BTD are Brooklyn Baby (and even then I prefer the Richard X remix), Freak, her cover of Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood and I suppose Love/Groupie Love but both of those are far outstripped by similar songs on BTD. Each to their and all but I don't see how the gay community as a whole, like ALL of my twitter, goes so mad over her stuff :/

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post Aug 4 2017, 12:17 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

I really love Coldplay's "A Rush Of Blood To The Head", but outside of occasional flashes of greatness, I can't get excited by much else of their output.

+Quote Post
Saenerys
post Aug 4 2017, 01:22 PM
Post #14
Pleased to meet you barbershop quartet.
Member No.: 20,182

QUOTE(HarryEzra @ Aug 4 2017, 12:59 PM) *
LadyHawke is a big one of me I loved her debut so much wub.gif Little Boots as well!

I loved Nocturnes, but shes definitely a one album wonder. Working Girl was dreadful I couldn't get on board at all:drama:

+Quote Post
MoistSummerFruit
post Aug 4 2017, 01:39 PM
Post #15
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Aug 4 2017, 11:14 AM) *
Lana Del Rey to an extent. Born to Die is one of my all-time favourites but I've not found any of her following albums have come close. There's a big handful of songs she's released since that I love though and I'd say I now like all songs from Ultraviolence, but it's a shame I've not experienced anything as consistently strong as her breakthrough.

OMG THIS!!!

She said she had ran out of material post 1st album and she was right.

+Quote Post
MoistSummerFruit
post Aug 4 2017, 01:40 PM
Post #16
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Dircadirca @ Aug 4 2017, 12:17 PM) *
I really love Coldplay's "A Rush Of Blood To The Head", but outside of occasional flashes of greatness, I can't get excited by much else of their output.

Definitely their best.

+Quote Post
SouthsideSpinner
post Aug 4 2017, 02:07 PM
Post #17
ayyy lmao
Member No.: 21,005

Jason Derülo's Future History I loved nearly every track, but since then his albums I have only made maybe two or three discoveries from them. I put Eminem in a similar light with Curtain Call, but tbf I had and still have that album since I was young (too young for Eminem tbh mellow.gif ) and my folks used to overplay it.

But Calvin Harris' 18 Months is probably the best example here in terms of album tracks as I literally stanned every one bar one or two. Motion wasn't too bad but Funk Wav Bounces was a huge disappointment aside from Feels and a couple of ok tracks :/

David Guetta's Nothing But The Beat to an extent. His previous albums were of a decent standard though.

Also DJ Fresh - Nextlevelism, Evanescence's Fallen, Rizzle Kicks - Stereo Typical and I could mention Halsey's Badlands too, although HFK wasn't bad it just wasn't as high quality as the former.

This post has been edited by Spynz Munich: Aug 4 2017, 02:08 PM

+Quote Post
Esmerelda
post Aug 4 2017, 02:08 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 294
   No Gallery Pics

Duffy springs to mind

+Quote Post
MoistSummerFruit
post Aug 4 2017, 02:10 PM
Post #19
   No Gallery Pics

Another one HAS to be Tasha.

Between her first, Unwritten and her second N.B, the drop-off was immense. I have never been so disappointed in an album before, although Born This Way from Monster and Blackoot from ITZ DID come close...

This post has been edited by MoistSummerFruit: Aug 4 2017, 02:10 PM

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Aug 4 2017, 02:13 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 19,585

QUOTE(Spynz Munich @ Aug 4 2017, 03:07 PM) *
Also DJ Fresh - Nextlevelism, Evanescence's Fallen, Rizzle Kicks - Stereo Typical and I could mention Halsey's Badlands too, although HFK wasn't bad it just wasn't as high quality as the former.

DJ Fresh hasn't had an album since though sad.gif His first album really doesn't count as it wasn't commercially successful. I'm hoping we do get that second album or even a Greatest Hits at some point just so songs like Earthquake, Dibby Dibby Sound, Make U Bounce and Gravity get an album release.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 05:02 PM