BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DIGITAL BLACKFACE, more srs lotita~~
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
lot🎈IT🎈a
post Aug 15 2017, 11:10 AM
Post #1
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

inspired by this video i just saw on BBC news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-4093147...emojis-and-gifs i thought it raised some really good points I haven't thought of before! for those of you who can't watch the video, she explains that the use of black emojis and reaction GIFs is cultural appropriation, white people using GIFs/emojis to appear sassier etc is a form of "digital blackface" by using exaggerated blackness. she ends the video by saying you don't HAVE to be black to use these GIFs/emojis but you should always ask yourself why you're drawn to that particular one!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Aug 15 2017, 11:11 AM
Post #2
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16,660

What kind of ridiculous shit is this laugh.gif

+Quote Post
lot🎈IT🎈a
post Aug 15 2017, 11:13 AM
Post #3
feminist icon

the GIF point in particular i really hadn't actually thought about much before, and i'd be interested to know how big a concern this is for POC. with emojis, i tend to usually keep them yellow (simpsons appropriation1!!) and if i ever change the skin colour (tbh i only ever usually do for the princess emoji to describe myself) it's to white just because it looks like me lmao

+Quote Post
The Burbadook
post Aug 15 2017, 11:47 AM
Post #4
Lusts for Life
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

Good point tbf but I wouldn't say it's a blackface level thing

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Aug 15 2017, 11:55 AM
Post #5
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

It's obviously because whiteys are so lame -

Also, as emojis are Japanese, by using them you are appropriating Japanese culture. So unless you're Japanese or have the express written permission from Emperor Akihito, please refrain from using them.

+Quote Post
Calcified Froot
post Aug 15 2017, 12:03 PM
Post #6
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I'm sorry, if I use that Michael Jackson eating popcorn gif (as an example), it has nothing to do with the colour of his skin, it's the fact that he's eating popcorn and enjoying what he's seeing, e.g. enjoying the drama.

Just like if I use a Da'Vonne gif (e.g. door entrance or pretends to be shocked), its what she's doing and I don't even consider the colour of her skin.

This is just putting up walls that don't need to be put up.

It's like saying white people can't listen to rap/r&b/hip-hop.

+Quote Post
lot🎈IT🎈a
post Aug 15 2017, 12:30 PM
Post #7
feminist icon

QUOTE(Klaus @ Aug 15 2017, 01:03 PM) *
I'm sorry, if I use that Michael Jackson eating popcorn gif (as an example), it has nothing to do with the colour of his skin, it's the fact that he's eating popcorn and enjoying what he's seeing, e.g. enjoying the drama.

Just like if I use a Da'Vonne gif (e.g. door entrance or pretends to be shocked), its what she's doing and I don't even consider the colour of her skin.

This is just putting up walls that don't need to be put up.

It's like saying white people can't listen to rap/r&b/hip-hop.

Yeah on the GIF front I agree here, hence why I was surprised by the video. The emoji thing I kinda get more

+Quote Post
Calcified Froot
post Aug 15 2017, 12:50 PM
Post #8
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Yeh, I can get more on board with the emoji thing. I've turned all mine to the best match of my skin colour (aka PALE kink.gif)

+Quote Post
White Mustang
post Aug 15 2017, 01:08 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

I see both sides of this. Like, i DO NOT think it's cool to be using black nail emojis etc. if you're not a person of colour.

With gifs, lots of my icons are women or drag queens of colour, I don't see the issue of using them as gifs, I love them! And I do not agree with what the woman said "you use gifs as if we are 1 dimensional", but it's like the opposite of that, white people are boring and deserved - a lot more 1 dimensional.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Aug 15 2017, 01:12 PM
Post #10
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

I guess I get the emoji thing more, I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a black emoji who isn't black laugh.gif But like, and I'm not one for "omg political correctness!1!" or anything, it is just an emoji laugh.gif The whole point of them is that they match you, I guess using the black woman with her hand out for the sassy thing but I just tend to use the yellow ones but cba to change them all.

Using gifs is a part of internet culture, it's not saying they are one dimensional it's just celebrating a funny moment or something or giving a reaction, that happens to feature a person of colour.

+Quote Post
Spun's Labyrinth
post Aug 15 2017, 07:22 PM
Post #11
ayyy lmao
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

🎅🏿 :black santa: is a fave and idk why laugh.gif if I feel like it i just use different skin toned emojis to be different tongue.gif

+Quote Post
DANKENSTEIN
post Aug 15 2017, 07:36 PM
Post #12
Danvīci
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I think this is PC culture gone too far. Using a gif of a black person/PoC is not racist.

+Quote Post
Spun's Labyrinth
post Aug 15 2017, 07:39 PM
Post #13
ayyy lmao
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(danG @ Aug 15 2017, 08:36 PM) *
I think this is PC culture gone too far. Using a gif of a black person/PoC is not racist.
yeah, and anyway, most of the emojis are yellow, so it would be racist to everyone in real life laugh.gif but not to the Simpsons :')

+Quote Post
28 Brays Later
post Aug 15 2017, 07:43 PM
Post #14
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

Sorry but this is suuuuch a stupid and pointless thing to be worrying about? I mean I can see how someone might use black emojis in a racist way but the problem there is them being racist, not that using emojis that don't match your skin colour is inherently racist. Basically agree with what Klaus said ~

+Quote Post
JosephGutierrez
post Aug 16 2017, 01:40 AM
Post #15
dreadlocked hair don't care
Member No.: 13,530

I agree with the majority here, this is really quite an unnecessary thing to point out. Froot hit the nail on the head by saying it builds walls when what we should be doing is breaking them down.

The use of the term 'cultural appropriation' bothers me most of the time - sometimes it's used correctly and there are definitely instances where it's applicable but half the time it feels like double standards. It's saying "you can't do this because it's part of black culture", for example, but if a white person told a black person, "you can't do this because it's part of white culture", you'd rightfully be called racist. I think it's brilliant when cultures mix, it's the 21st Century and it's amazing to see how accepting people are of different cultures nowadays!

+Quote Post
TheStareCrow-dy
post Aug 16 2017, 03:45 AM
Post #16
technique on fleek cause I'm ballet trained
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

This is already reaching. Even the emoji one is stretching it a bit. Is this really what we should be worrying about when there are ACTUAL neo-Nazis and white nationalists still walking around ignoring even the most BASIC societal rules when it comes to other cultures and ways of life? Like HONESTLY.

PEOPLE ARE DYING AT THE HANDS OF ACTUAL RACISTS AND THIS IS THE ONE THING THE UK IS WORRYING ABOUT?!?!

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Aug 16 2017, 03:17 PM
Post #17
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

Exactly! I know you can argue that these smaller things all contribute, but even so picking at these minor things with what's going on is hardly helpful laugh.gif Sure, people have been killed but we'll sort out people using emojis first.

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Aug 16 2017, 02:40 AM) *
I agree with the majority here, this is really quite an unnecessary thing to point out. Froot hit the nail on the head by saying it builds walls when what we should be doing is breaking them down.

The use of the term 'cultural appropriation' bothers me most of the time - sometimes it's used correctly and there are definitely instances where it's applicable but half the time it feels like double standards. It's saying "you can't do this because it's part of black culture", for example, but if a white person told a black person, "you can't do this because it's part of white culture", you'd rightfully be called racist. I think it's brilliant when cultures mix, it's the 21st Century and it's amazing to see how accepting people are of different cultures nowadays!

Cultural appropriation has become such an overused buzz word, it's just used to tear down say musicians you don't like by saying Selena is appropriating Come & Get It or when Iggy Azalea dares to rap, yet it's fine for Eminem for example to be a white rapper. That's when it becomes a bit of a joke, like you can't use dances or music from other cultures. Especially in Britain, culture now is such a mish mash, most of our best food is just from everyone else for example laugh.gif Obviously when it's stuff like black face and these neo nazis using symbols from minorities and stuff, that's when it's acceptable to shout cultural appropriation but bhangra in a song isn't.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 05:56 PM