BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> UCAS Points
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
5 Silas Frřkner
post Aug 17 2017, 11:40 PM
Post #1
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

The number that determines (or determined) our futures! The dreaded UCAS points.

How many points did you get under the system in force when you went to Uni vs the one that's in place now?

I went to Uni in 2007 when SQA Standard Grades qualified you for UCAS points. When I left School I had 844 UCAS Points (http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2009/03/09154229/3)

8 Standard Grades at Grade 1 - 304 points
5 Highers at Grade A - 360
1 Higher at Grade B - 60
2 Adv Higher at Grade C - 120

My entry requirements were 240 tariff points (BBBB @ Higher), so I got unconditionals after my 5th year although arguably I could have walked in after Standard Grade and had enough points.

Under the new system I'm pure robbed tho. 272 is my new total. Like WTF?!

5 Highers at Grade A - 165
1 Higher at Grade B - 27
2 Adv Higher at Grade C - 80
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brébino
post Aug 18 2017, 12:21 AM
Post #2
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

I don't remember ever having to deal with UCAS points, all my uni offers were just given as grades (IIRC my offers for both my firm and my insurance were A*AA, and the offer for Oxford would have been A*A*A if I wasn't rejected after the interview).

If I'm following the Wiki article correctly then I got 192 points (for A*AAB at A-Level), and that's including the entirely superfluous fourth grade, not sure how you're getting a total as high as 272, I presume a Scotland/England difference? Either that or I am calculating this totally wrong laugh.gif

+Quote Post
NellyEverySundae
post Aug 18 2017, 12:49 AM
Post #3
#TeamKrustyKrab
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,675
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Capybréra @ Aug 18 2017, 01:21 AM) *
I don't remember ever having to deal with UCAS points, all my uni offers were just given as grades (IIRC my offers for both my firm and my insurance were A*AA, and the offer for Oxford would have been A*A*A if I wasn't rejected after the interview).

The interviews went badly for me at Oxford laugh.gif They absolutely threw me off so I wasn't surprised at my post-interview rejection either kink.gif

Yeah, I don't think UCAS points hold as much value now than they did with the old UCAS point system. For most of my class it relied on predicted grades and meeting offers!

I get 208 on the new system but on the old I think it'll be higher.

This post has been edited by NellyEverySundae: Aug 18 2017, 12:51 AM

+Quote Post
Harve
post Aug 18 2017, 01:15 AM
Post #4
cultural marxist
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

I don't understand why your Standard grades used to be worth points. You can't get into uni with Standards without doing higher qualifications beyond that.

I have 38 IB score = 242 UCAS points. Not that either are worth too much at the age of 23.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Aug 18 2017, 06:32 AM
Post #5
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I've tried but I cannot work out the new system. So we just count A levels? Or do we count other qualifications? Just doin my A levels it comes out as 120 which sounds shit.

I needed 280 for my course back in 2007 and got 300. I was so pleased to get in that it took me an hour to realise that with 300 points, I had been awarded an Excellence Bursary.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frřkner
post Aug 18 2017, 07:33 AM
Post #6
Surfing in paradise

QUOTE(Capybréra @ Aug 18 2017, 01:21 AM) *
If I'm following the Wiki article correctly then I got 192 points (for A*AAB at A-Level), and that's including the entirely superfluous fourth grade, not sure how you're getting a total as high as 272, I presume a Scotland/England difference? Either that or I am calculating this totally wrong laugh.gif

I don't know how it works for AS/A-Level but Highers & Advanced Highers are stand alone qualifications so each attract tariff points individually. Not sure what you get points for under the English system.

I have double the number of qualifications with 6 Highers and 2 Adv Highers. And at least when I was at school an A-Level was seen as being a lil better than a higher but not as good as an Advanced Higher with AS sitting between Intermediate 2 & Higher.

QUOTE(Harve @ Aug 18 2017, 02:15 AM) *
I don't understand why your Standard grades used to be worth points. You can't get into uni with Standards without doing higher qualifications beyond that.

I have 38 IB score = 242 UCAS points. Not that either are worth too much at the age of 23.

I have no idea why they used to give them but they clearly agreed that they were useless so stopped pointing them not long after I went to Uni. At the time GCSEs weren't worth points which makes it stranger

+Quote Post
lotita
post Aug 18 2017, 10:17 AM
Post #7
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I just used a UCAS calculator, I got 176 for my AAB at A level, my B at Spanish in AS and my A in EPQ

+Quote Post
lotita
post Aug 18 2017, 10:17 AM
Post #8
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

Forever bitter I was one mark off an A in Spanish

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frřkner
post Aug 18 2017, 10:18 AM
Post #9
Surfing in paradise

I hear you. I'm still bitter about being 1 mark off an A for Higher Business Management and that was 2006

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2017 - 01:20 AM