BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Perceptions You Disagree With About Singers
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
UltraReputation
post Aug 18 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #1
I'll be the actress starring in your bad dreams
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

Hey guys, after seeing quite a few tweets on twitter/instagram today this thread idea popped into my head. What perceptions by the general public do you disagree with about singers, from your favourites to artists you aren't massive fans. (Though by perceptions I mean something the public perceive them as, let's not turn this into a thread of the public thinks this artist is incredible but I think they are crap and vice versa)

So I'll start us off with a pretty obvious one for me. One public perception that I HATE about Taylor Swift is that she only writes songs about break ups or about degrading men. This irritates me heavily for many reasons and I see and hear it all the time from online to family members. Yeah she does have break up songs but she also has so many singles that aren't about breaking up or degrading men and it especially comes from people who haven't checked out Taylor's albums where so many of the album tracks aren't about how men are so awful and they cheat and everything. Take a song like Back To december for example where Taylor admits her own flaws and isn't dragging her ex, but as usual the general public ignores anything like this and latch onto each other cos it's 'cool' to say all Taylor does is tear her ex boyfriends to shreads. And going further, Taylor has so many songs which aren't about ex boyfriends as well but yeah I think y'all know where I'd go with this! It just irritates me so much, especially when there are many other artists who have albums about an ex or break up songs but they are commended and praised whereas Taylor is dragged cos it's her 'reputation' (this in particular seems to be in the case of male artists as it's always perceived as heartbreaking or sweet).

Now I've had my rant what are yours?!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Regina
post Aug 18 2017, 10:02 PM
Post #2
Ooga Boo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 5,572

I always found it weird how Taylor gets ripped to shreds for writing about break-ups and lost love etc but Adele gets praised for doing the same thing laugh.gif

One thing I hate is Alanis Morissette being labelled as "angry" just because Jagged Little Pill was an angry-ish album, which is only half true since several songs are fairly happy. Plus her following albums are mainly happy too.

Also the perception that pop girls (Britney, J-Lo, Kylie etc) getitng the "they can't sing" treatment, especially when they do ballads. You don't need a voice like Celine Dion to be able to sing, all of the mentioned singers have lovely voices and ar emore than capable of singing songs other than their usual uptempo songs.
I see it a bit more for J-Lo (mainly to following her more) and it really pisses me of, she has a MUCH better voice than she is given credit for. If you listen to any of her ballads you will be able to see how good she is. She doesn't have a huge range but she knows how to use her voice to it's best abilities. She also has somethingthat many others seem to lack, emotion in her voice. she really seems to connect with what she is singing about.

Three perfect examples:

and a live example

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post Aug 18 2017, 10:45 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Male singers in general.

Whenever a male artist releases a pop song now, everyone goes 'Sounds like Shape Of You, so bland and uninteresting!!!!!!!'

+Quote Post
StillJupiter
post Aug 18 2017, 10:45 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

That singers write songs about their own lives instead of telling stories about characters.

I've never understood that view. Sure, you can do something autobiographical, but you can also just write a song about anything.

Two that really stick out for me there are Taylor and Lana Del Rey. Article after article going on and on about how messed up these women are, 'poor Lana and her taste in men', 'crazy Taylor man-eater/man-hater' and I'm always just like, really?

+Quote Post
SouthsideSpinner
post Aug 18 2017, 11:52 PM
Post #5
ayyy lmao
Member No.: 21,005

Owl City being (wrongly) accused of homophobic.

+Quote Post
RosaParksMyCar
post Aug 19 2017, 12:09 AM
Post #6
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

he's rightly accused of being shit though

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Aug 19 2017, 12:55 AM
Post #7
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

Totally agree with the OP, I am so fed of people who whinge and moan about Taylor being a maneater because she writes songs about her exes, guess what - people write about their lives ohmy.gif It ties to Jupiter's point too though, in general it's not the case that people write themselves ALL the time. You hear it quite often people will say "I saw this on TV" "I read abut this" and thus a song is born. It just pisses me off that Taylor writing a song about her ex is mean crazy psycho going to ruin their life, but like Sam Smith or Ed Sheeran do it and it's like "aww he's so vulnerable, how sweet".

Tbh I don't care about either way, I absolutely detest Sam Smith for example, but he writes about his life and what makes him feel things to put into a song, can't begrudge the guy that. If someone's been through say a break up before an album, it's gonna end up forming a lot of the body of work. For Taylor, Speak Now for example was a sot of concept where each song was about someone different, and it was saying what she wanted to say about them, good or bad. I suppose the title fits into that, it's "speak now or forever hold your peace" so she said it when she could.

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post Aug 19 2017, 08:50 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

I think for a lot of people, Lil Wayne is seen as a talentless hack with an annoying voice that spoils their favourite songs when he has a guest verse. There's a frequent meme that if 2Pac was still alive, he'd be working in McDonalds. What people miss is that though he does drop some sketchy verses regularly nowadays, back in the 2000s he was one of the hardest working rappers and garnered a huge fanbase through his gift for non-sequitur and wordplay. When Chance or Kendrick break out of their niches through dodgy guest verses, they'll have schools of fans ready to remind people that they're incredibly acclaimed artists in their own field. I feel Wayne's imperial phase was so long ago and so weird that he doesn't have an easy touchstone of credibility to silence the haters.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Aug 19 2017, 01:02 PM
Post #9
Experience turns 25 this month
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

People going angry over bands just because they change sound/genre.

+Quote Post
Saenerys
post Aug 19 2017, 01:46 PM
Post #10
Pleased to meet you barbershop quartet.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

QUOTE(UltraRedLight @ Aug 18 2017, 10:19 PM) *
So I'll start us off with a pretty obvious one for me. One public perception that I HATE about Taylor Swift is that she only writes songs about break ups or about degrading men. This irritates me heavily for many reasons and I see and hear it all the time from online to family members. Yeah she does have break up songs but she also has so many singles that aren't about breaking up or degrading men and it especially comes from people who haven't checked out Taylor's albums where so many of the album tracks aren't about how men are so awful and they cheat and everything.

Oh no, she also writes songs about her feuds and friendships of well known established celebrities, plays the victim and then makes plenty of money by degrading the celeb world. Poor Harry Styles and Katy Perry.

QUOTE(Shaphne @ Aug 18 2017, 11:02 PM) *
I always found it weird how Taylor gets ripped to shreds for writing about break-ups and lost love etc but Adele gets praised for doing the same thing laugh.gif

Difference is Adele has broken that stereotype quite easily with 25, singles aside from Hello which for obvious reasons was interpreted as being about an ex until she set the record straight in ID's magazine feature just before the album dropped. Her first two albums are breakup albums, yes, but they also contain songs related to wider issues such as family, friendship, struggles friends may go through, love for family, i.e. Hometown Glory, My Same, He Won't Go, Lovesong, Make You Feel My Love. Taylor Swift is on what, her sixth album and hasn't been able to shake that label because she continues to write about the same thing. 25 is full of plenty of songs around youth, growing old, nostalgia, family, motherhood, childhood and adulthood (Need I continue?) without their being any reference to an ex other than Send My Love To Your New Lover which is the only break up song there is. Of course Adele did say in a lengthy essay after the X-Factor Ad that 25 would be about making up with HERSELF, rather than breaking up with someone, so I wouldn't say Adele continuously has done it aside 19 and 21.

+Quote Post
lotita
post Aug 19 2017, 01:49 PM
Post #11
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I love both but u do realise Katy released Swish swish right

+Quote Post
Saenerys
post Aug 19 2017, 01:52 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Cherry. @ Aug 19 2017, 02:49 PM) *
I love both but u do realise Katy released Swish swish right

What goes around comes back round, treat others how you expect to be treated, etc. I don't defend her for releasing that as shes just as bad as Taylor for doing. Taylor shouldn't release songs about other people if she doesn't expect similar treatment i.e. One Direction's Perfect is about her I believe (in a different sense yes).

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Aug 19 2017, 01:52 PM
Post #13
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

But that was after Taylor tore her apart and humiliated her ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Regina
post Aug 19 2017, 01:55 PM
Post #14
Ooga Boo

Someone's mad cause Taylor's diss songs are hits while Katy's are floppy. Katy probs can't get stuffed sharks from the aquarium to dance for her now.

+Quote Post
Saenerys
post Aug 19 2017, 01:56 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Liаm @ Aug 19 2017, 02:52 PM) *
But that was after Taylor tore her apart and humiliated her ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

QUOTE(Shaphne @ Aug 19 2017, 02:55 PM) *
Someone's mad cause Taylor's diss songs are hits while Katy's are floppy. Katy probs can't get stuffed sharks from the aquarium to dance for her now.

Who is mad?

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Aug 19 2017, 02:02 PM
Post #16
I'll be the actress starring in your bad dreams
Member No.: 20,947

QUOTE(Saenerys @ Aug 19 2017, 02:46 PM) *
Oh no, she also writes songs about her feuds and friendships of well known established celebrities, plays the victim and then makes plenty of money by degrading the celeb world. Poor Harry Styles and Katy Perry.

She also writes songs about taking the mick out of her perception (BS), or songs which are positive love songs (Mine, Enchanted etc), people who put her down (Mean), the media (I Know Places), success (Sweeter Than Fiction), songs just about her life that have nothing to do with celebs (Welcome To New York) and more.

But no let's just ignore all this and just focus on the few occasional songs she has which are about publicised events kink.gif so this is why it really annoys me when people state that Taylor only writes songs about those subject matters when she has SO many other songs that don't fit either category.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Aug 19 2017, 02:03 PM
Post #17
Ooga Boo

Come back when Katy releases a song like Ronan tbh.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Aug 19 2017, 04:35 PM
Post #18
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I hate it when people try to drag me for liking Dido and go on about how she's boring. Most people haven't even listened to her music properly and just because she's not the most uptempo artist, it doesn't mean she's boring and the music isn't good. She has some great dance tracks on her albums too-Take My Hand and End Of Night spring immediately to mind. Such a shame people that may actually enjoy her quickly dismiss her as boring.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Aug 19 2017, 04:39 PM
Post #19
Ooga Boo

I always got the "Dido is boring" shit too laugh.gif Take My Hand and End of Night are amazing wub.gif Also how many other acts have a song about drug addiction sung from the point of view of the actual drug? Flawless queen.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Aug 19 2017, 04:47 PM
Post #20
Just another burden on the welfare state
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

I've always enjoyed Dido's music, it's quite unique compared to some of the other artists similar to her.

As for Taylor and Katy, I don't care. Just let me listen to and enjoy the songs without analysing every single lyric to work out who it's a dig against or to find some evidence of it being 'the same as all the other songs' rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 07:38 PM