BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Darius the songwriter
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Baytree
post Aug 23 2017, 10:22 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 334
   No Gallery Pics

I think some of the stories behind Darius's songs are fascinating

We can use the thread to comment on what we believe to be unique about any of his songs From A Songwriting perspective.

Take Rushes.... pretty well known.

Written when he was 16. About a girl who used to get the same bus he took to school in the West End of Glasgow.

Written on bus tickets. He says he still has them.

The exuberance of youth... All those rhymes in the chorus Rushes - blushes-touches.

He was already exhibiting one very Darius trait..... Using words his fans needed a thesaurus or dictionary for.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eden
post Aug 23 2017, 12:45 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 393
   No Gallery Pics

Such a goodles post Baytreek. Brings back nostalgic memories. I remember when it was played on radio,and the d.j. said he loved it and said "thato a no:1"! I seem to recall it was no: 5 -still good though.I must admit it took a short time to grow on me,but it was a good record. Yes,and the story of the girl on the bus crush-I remember him saying "She wasn't the best looking girl in school" "But there was something about her" Funnily enough,I remember a girl at my school like that- about a year older than me.A lot of the boys were attracted to her,and from us girls point of view she was no beauty- but yes she had that something in the way her hair was done,her mannerisms,her walk and her manner that made you want to emulate to a degree. Just that cool casual confident well groomed look. So ,quirky can be as attractive as beauty..

+Quote Post
HissingSparkler
post Aug 23 2017, 02:01 PM
Post #3
Hiss Hiss Bish.
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

Rushes is his best song imo. Nothing else he has done has come close sadly for me.

The chorus with the violins in it is brilliant.

Colourblind is an interesting one in terms of it being themed by colours representing moods.

This post has been edited by Hiß: Aug 23 2017, 02:02 PM

+Quote Post
Baytree
post Aug 23 2017, 05:45 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I like the surprise twist right at the end of some of his songs which totally change your understanding of the theme...

e. g. The jingling coins and Cheers, mate at the end of Sliding Doors on Dive In

Journey's End on Live Twice - you go through thinking it's a standard break up song and then right at the end you realise it's about the final parting. Death

This post has been edited by Baytree: Aug 23 2017, 07:55 PM

+Quote Post
Baytree
post Aug 27 2017, 08:44 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Mercury Rising is one of my favourite tracks on Dive In. Sung live, it is compelling and even more haunting.

I was surprised when Darius revealed that it wasn't written organically like he usually writes but in fact, began life as two entirely separate entities - a poem he had written and a completely unrelated tune he'd jotted down some time before.

+Quote Post
HissingSparkler
post Aug 28 2017, 04:03 PM
Post #6
Hiss Hiss Bish.
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Baytree @ Aug 23 2017, 06:45 PM) *
Journey's End on Live Twice - you go through thinking it's a standard break up song and then right at the end you realise it's about the final parting. Death

Not heard it but it sounds a bit of a depressing song!

+Quote Post
Baytree
post Aug 31 2017, 06:21 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

It was written when Darius's beloved father had been diagnosed with terminal cancer and was fighting for his life in the Royal Marsden in London.

That's 'the feared break up in this song.

It isn't depressing at all.

Knowing the background to the writing of the Live Twice album and hearing the fading heartbeat at the end of the song changes it forever after that first listen.

This post has been edited by Baytree: Aug 31 2017, 06:26 AM

+Quote Post
SpamFritter
post Aug 31 2017, 10:58 AM
Post #8
Take me as I am....
Member No.: 321

I have always loved Mercury Rising and Journey´s End

I can´t find Journey´s End

+Quote Post
Baytree
post Sep 4 2017, 06:59 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

It's virtually impossible to find any of Darius's back catalogue on there. As soon as someone uses one it seems no time until "video unavailable."

Someone had put up incredible and Colourblind as the music for videos which looked like news spoofs or something and they weren't available despite it saying they'd been up just one day.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 05:52 PM