BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Shoutbox 2.0?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Aug 29 2017, 12:35 PM
Post #1
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Now seems like the best time to spew out ideas for how we can make the site more current and really make the best of what we've got, so I just wanted to add in another thought.

I know I'm not alone in thinking the shoutbox is the literal dark pit of the site where very few actually feel comfortable engaging in, I'd personally go as far as saying it can often display the worst elements of Buzzjack, which is a shame as if it was managed properly and used appropriately, it could be really useful...

My suggestion would be moving it from either the bottom of the forums page to the top, or to the main homepage. Only site moderators would be able to post in it and it would only be used to "shout" about updates or announcements or things that need a bit of a promo that wouldn't have a place in the usual announcements forum. Think of it as a communication line for mods to get word out about what's happening in their forum to the broader community. I'm talking about rates, quizzes, events, results threads etc that go on across the site. It would be much more effective than using the general promo thread in the lounge etc.

What do you guys think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Aug 29 2017, 12:41 PM
Post #2
c:
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,692

Yes, I love this idea and if placed right at the top of the homepage could be really effective in promoting our threads. However, I do think if this were to happen that there should be a separate live chat feature somewhere else on the site for those that enjoy and partake in the current shoutbox as it is!

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Aug 29 2017, 12:42 PM
Post #3
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

I love this idea, the news and announcements bit itself is a bit tucked away tbh and could be utilized beter and this is the perfect way.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Aug 29 2017, 12:43 PM
Post #4
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I really like this idea!!!

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Aug 29 2017, 12:45 PM
Post #5
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

yeah, I do like the idea of having a non-spammy announcements section at the top that only mods can post in, while keeping the existing spambox as it is (though it would be great if that was upgraded as well to a live chat thing, I promise I won't be spamming as much heehee.gif ) I feel that the shoutbox was kinda intended for spam anyway which is why it's limited to one shout at a time.

This post has been edited by Separate: Aug 29 2017, 12:46 PM

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Aug 29 2017, 12:46 PM
Post #6
The Navigator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Sounds like a very smart idea Lindsey, I think you should follow it through. happy.gif

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Aug 29 2017, 12:58 PM
Post #7
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(awardinary™ @ Feb 6 2017, 01:13 AM) *
I suggest ordering the forums and sub forums in this way;

— WELCOME MESSAGE —

Your Community
Forum
The Lounge
Welcome to Buzzjack! Make your introductions here, then stick around for off-topic chat and fun!
Announcements
Announcements and News.

I had a similar idea a few months ago which was generally snubbed, but in essence, I was also suggesting that at the top of the main page (the forum index), there be a welcome message and various links for newbies to get acquainted with the site, and first and foremost, introduce themselves to the community! happy.gif

Perhaps the new shoutbox could include a welcome message directing such ones to the various parts of the forum?

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Aug 29 2017, 01:27 PM
Post #8
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

I do like the idea of mods being able to post about events in their forums in a tool like the shoutbox for everyone to see, although I don't think we should be removing the current shoutbox. It's not everyone's cup of tea but it provides enjoyment for quite a few people still.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Aug 29 2017, 01:32 PM
Post #9
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

Watch as the Snake makes this his new crusade because the shoutbox is "quirky and unique"

The shoutbox offers nothing to the site and is just spam of lowest quality. Posting the same thing over and over (which i have bene guilty of before I know) or things that could easily be taken to pm's.

On the rare occasion it is used to advertise something like a game etc. it is immediatly overtaken by another worthless shout.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Aug 29 2017, 01:36 PM
Post #10
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I like this idea but I'd prefer to keep both - have it at the top of the forum whilst the regular shoutbox remains at the bottom so people can still shitpost (I get that it's not for everyone, but quite a few of us like it and it's easy to avoid if you dislike it).

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Aug 29 2017, 02:02 PM
Post #11
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I think if the current shoutbox was to remain, it would need a massive revamp and like Spadam said, take on the set up of like an actual live chat window preferably in another tab at the top along with Member Tools, Reviews, Gallery etc

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Aug 29 2017, 02:06 PM
Post #12
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

sure

+Quote Post
dancember
post Aug 29 2017, 02:24 PM
Post #13
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
   No Gallery Pics

Is it actually possible to get Live Chat on Buzzjack, similar to what we have on plug.dj? (with the new site obviously cos the current design is still too 2007 to implement it)

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Aug 29 2017, 02:29 PM
Post #14
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(danG @ Aug 29 2017, 03:24 PM) *
Is it actually possible to get Live Chat on Buzzjack, similar to what we have on plug.dj? (with the new site obviously cos the current design is still too 2007 to implement it)

I thought there was a thread that Spadz resurrected recently about a Buzzjack Messenger tool, but the thread seems to have vanished. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Aug 29 2017, 02:36 PM
Post #15
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I've very much gone off the shoutbox as it is, it's got an awful cliquey feel and as much as I've been reponsible for a lot of repetitive spam in there, it now seems to consist of just a repetitive yet consistently misspelt conversation between about 4 members. This could be put in a chat feature. Any quirkiness the shoutbox once had seems to be long dead and nothing posted there is anywhere near as amusing as the Haus/Nelly days.

I shoutbox located near the top with site/forum news is a really good idea and may entice people to post more if they're more aware of the events that are going on forumwide.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Aug 29 2017, 02:44 PM
Post #16
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
   No Gallery Pics

I've found myself using it a bit less too but only because I don't really speak whatever language Spadz and Michael talk to each other in, but I think it's worth keeping even if only to keep the shitposting away from the rest of the forum.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Aug 29 2017, 03:17 PM
Post #17
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I wish more people than GMs could moderate the shoutbox. When I do see someone out of line I have banned them before. And we could just delete awful shouts and make it something acceptable. Which is something I will do for the time being as it's clearly gotten out of hand.

Thing is though, there is good shitposting (funny, unexpected posts that have some cleverness and wit to them, on the rare occasion those go in the shoutbox I like engaging there), and there's low effort shitposting (copy-pasting something for no other reason that it's been copypasted a lot OR unfunny repetitive memes that have been done a thousand times before). If no one would read your post and find it funny, why is it being posted anywhere?

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Aug 29 2017, 03:22 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,161

Love this idea!!

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Aug 29 2017, 03:22 PM
Post #19
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

Thank god the shoutbox is hidden at the bottom because it's not particularly, what's the word....., putting our best foot forward for attracting new members.

Is it disabled to guests? Like hidden so they can only see it if they sign up?? Coz if it isn't it needs to be.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Aug 29 2017, 03:23 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,161

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Aug 29 2017, 04:22 PM) *
Thank god the shoutbox is hidden at the bottom because it's not particularly, what's the word....., putting our best foot forward for attracting new members.

Is it disabled to guests? Like hidden so they can only see it if they sign up?? Coz if it isn't it needs to be.

If I log out I can't see it, just as well tbh laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 01:25 AM