BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cooking, Bon appetit baby 🍽
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Andrew.
post Sep 4 2017, 10:17 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,161

How often do you cook/bake, and what do you do?

I've loved cooking cooking curries and flavorsome food since I was young!! My favourite dish to do is a spanish-y chicken dish which is basically chicken thighs with hella loads of tomatoes, olives, red onion and paprika *.* I seem to have a way higher salt/pepper tolerance than my family or whoever I'm serving though so when I POUR it in (a common diet recommendation :')) they often end up spluttering a bit laugh.gif I also baked a Salted Caramel Cheesecake yesterday which was lushhhh, the sugar literally filled a whole medium-sized bowl though (the recipe's choice not mine ;o) so again not the healthiest kink.gif, there's a good recipe I saw online for a sugar-free dark Chocolate & mint cake which looks amazing so I may have to try that this Saturday *.*
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ChristmasTreeCow
post Sep 4 2017, 10:30 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

I can burn toast pretty well I guess

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Sep 4 2017, 11:24 PM
Post #3
white girl wasted on brown liquor
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Andrew. @ Sep 4 2017, 11:17 PM) *
How often do you cook/bake, and what do you do?

I've loved cooking cooking curries and flavorsome food since I was young!! My favourite dish to do is a spanish-y chicken dish which is basically chicken thighs with hella loads of tomatoes, olives, red onion and paprika *.* I seem to have a way higher salt/pepper tolerance than my family or whoever I'm serving though so when I POUR it in (a common diet recommendation :')) they often end up spluttering a bit laugh.gif I also baked a Salted Caramel Cheesecake yesterday which was lushhhh, the sugar literally filled a whole medium-sized bowl though (the recipe's choice not mine ;o) so again not the healthiest kink.gif, there's a good recipe I saw online for a sugar-free dark Chocolate & mint cake which looks amazing so I may have to try that this Saturday *.*

Pour it up, pour it up 😏😏😏

I love cooking but I need to try more adventurous things really!
I just tend to throw in whatever I have and see what happens. Anything with teriyaki sauce is always a winner for me.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Sep 4 2017, 11:41 PM
Post #4
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Usually deserts.

Blackberry crumble might require very little effort but omg fave #moistsummerdeserts

+Quote Post
(Zach)
post Sep 5 2017, 12:53 AM
Post #5
AKA LoveKiller
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 18,512

As for complex recipes, I've perfected a handful and sort of stick to those. I'm very resourceful though -- I've watched a lot of Food Network over the years and can easily craft a meal out of 3 or 4 ingredients.

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Sep 5 2017, 10:15 AM
Post #6
When you look back on us, would you call that love?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

I'm pretty rubbish at cooking in all fairness - I can bake a very simple fruit cake and a few Thai dishes like noodles or curry but other than that, I rely heavily on jar sauces! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Sqntq Clqus
post Sep 5 2017, 11:25 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

I can cook better than the average 17 year old I imagine laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Sep 5 2017, 12:48 PM
Post #8
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I'm quite good but just lazy tbh, well not lazy but like Sean said jar sauces all the way laugh.gif I can make stuff like lasagne, curries etc I just never bother to make my own sauce for it.

+Quote Post
TheGhostPensmith
post Sep 5 2017, 05:36 PM
Post #9
TheGhostPensmith 👻
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

I am quite the dab hand in the k!tchen. I kind of have my mum to thank for that, because I was always watching her cook even as a kid, I'd sometimes help peel veggies or potatoes for a Sunday roast, so I just naturally picked up a lot of what I know from her. At uni I cooked as well - to the extent that one of my flatmates said I was 'The dude that cooks' (this was so true, apart from myself and the boyfriend of one of my flatmates and closest friends, everyone else ordered in Domino's pretty much every night and then wondered why they were so broke come the end of October).

I'd say my specialities were paella, which I made from scratch and was a big hit with my flatmates. I also used to make a yummy pumpkin, butternut squash and pasta soup from one of Nigella's books (How to Eat, I think) every Halloween. I also did a great toad in the hole and apple crumble - I used to make the former in double quantities and freeze the second portion. I also made a great guacamole in the summer using fresh mint, cherry tomatoes, bit of cayenne pepper and peas. So good with a bowl of tortilla chips.

The only form of cooking I've not yet mastered to any great degree is baking, probably because there is such a science to it that I can't get my head around. Having said that, I did one Christmas make iced star biscuits for my friends as presents, and I put them all in nice little festive presentation bags as part of a mini hamper, so they were a hit.

In terms of chefs, I've always loved Nigella. I have pretty much all her books and I used to use 'Nigella Express' frequently for midweek meals after lectures. Her naan pizzas and quick ragu were life changers. I again used to do double quantity of the ragu, and sometimes add a bit of chili to it when I wanted to make a chili con carne. But I also love Nigel Slater, Rachel Allen. I also love an American chef called Ina Garten and her 'Barefoot Contessa' show, she does really nice stuff.

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: Sep 5 2017, 05:37 PM

+Quote Post
hightones
post Sep 6 2017, 02:11 PM
Post #10
New Entry
Member No.: 38,811
   No Gallery Pics

My wife doesn't know how to cook. So I am the designated chef in our household.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Sep 6 2017, 02:18 PM
Post #11
THE BLAZE *.*
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,061

I'm a trained Pizzaiolo so I guess I can cook to some extent laugh.gif I also use to make breakfasts and cakes so my skills are actually quite good

+Quote Post
Hollyver
post Sep 6 2017, 03:34 PM
Post #12
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

I love cooking! I make lots of pasta dishes and ones with meat.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Sep 6 2017, 07:04 PM
Post #13
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I quite enjoy cooking! I tend to stick to pasta mainly. Recently I made a lasagne for the first time and I was really chuffed with how it turned out!

QUOTE(Cameron @ Sep 6 2017, 03:18 PM) *
I'm a trained Pizzaiolo so I guess I can cook to some extent laugh.gif I also use to make breakfasts and cakes so my skills are actually quite good

Do you have to make all the dough from scratch?

+Quote Post
tommie
post Sep 6 2017, 07:08 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 8,073
   No Gallery Pics

I tend to cook every day to keep me from, you know, DYING. huh.gif

As for what? I tend to just throw things together from what I have on hand, I am a meat & potatoes type of man though.

+Quote Post
Mistletheo
post Sep 6 2017, 07:19 PM
Post #15
IDGAF
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 8,661

Yes I do the cooking, yes I do the cleaning

Quorn meals are my specialities - as a vegetarian - cottage pie etc. I also make a really nice minestrone soup with gnocchi (a recipe I got from Tesco! ohmy.gif) and I love to bake too although I don't tend to be as ~creative~ as some people.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Sep 6 2017, 07:20 PM
Post #16
THE BLAZE *.*
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,061

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Sep 6 2017, 08:04 PM) *
I quite enjoy cooking! I tend to stick to pasta mainly. Recently I made a lasagne for the first time and I was really chuffed with how it turned out!

haha, No! What basically happens is the dough comes in frozen and we shape it and prove it up to make it perfect then make our own bases and stuff. However, as part of your initial training you learn how to make the dough and stuff

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Sep 6 2017, 07:51 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,161

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Sep 6 2017, 08:04 PM) *

I'd love to try a lasagne!! I've really made something similar at all but I'm always up for a challenge *.*

+Quote Post
breezyspice
post Sep 8 2017, 02:00 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 39,572
   No Gallery Pics

I'm trying so hard to learn to like cooking, but it's usually a struggle unless I'm just feeling it. My bf LOVES cooking, he says it relaxes him and it literally stresses me out when I do it. However, I work from home - so it is easier if I try to do it. Doesn't mean I always do but I've been trying to make more of an effort in the last few months. I started a hashtag on my Insta so that I could see how many times I cook over time, haha, one must be honest with themselves, mustn't they?

Baking seems easier to enjoy and I think it's because its particular/down to a science, like you HAVE to use the correct amounts of things and follow a recipe or else it won't do what its supposed to do, whereas with cooking - it's a matter of taste and trial and error and either putting too much salt in (guilty) or not enough herbs/spices. I'm always hard on myself when I'm cooking.

I did make dinner tonight! I made a big batch of cajun seasoning so we could use it in the future but I put chicken breast in a bag with some olive oil and put some of the cajun spice in there and let it marinade while I fried some onions, red and green peppers in butter before I incorporated corn and moved them to a baking sheet to roast in the oven. While I cooked the chicken on the grill, I made rice. Seemed pretty easy afterward and it was tasty so I'm okay with my effort tonight, haha!

This post has been edited by breezyspice: Sep 8 2017, 02:01 AM

+Quote Post
JB2o2o
post Sep 8 2017, 03:03 AM
Post #19
New Entry
Member No.: 39,575
   No Gallery Pics

I love cooking/baking, I am a trained Pastry Chef as well so I bake a lot of specialty cake orders regularly. Hoping to get my own store front bakery in the future!

I have a to die for Chocolate Cake that everyone loves. I love doing pastries like croissants or danish, even pate a choux. When it comes to cooking, I like to be simple. I do a lot of Ina Garten recipes. Classic recipes that are simple to do but big on presentations and flavor. I also LOVE Nigella and pasta dishes.

This post has been edited by JB2o2o: Sep 8 2017, 03:05 AM

+Quote Post
breezyspice
post Sep 8 2017, 08:04 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 39,572
   No Gallery Pics

I'd really like to get into more baking - simply because I have to avoid nearly every patisserie due to my nut allergy and I have to miss out on all the wonders out there.

For those of you who do cook and bake often (and love it) - what would be one recipe or meal you would recommend to a newbie to try their hand at?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 11:47 PM