BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Perfect Illusion One Year On, modern ecstasy~
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausofSZA
post Sep 7 2017, 06:49 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

A year ago, Lady Gaga announced and shortly after released, the lead single to her 5th project 'Joanne'. The song, 'Perfect Illusion' is a rousing, thumping, high-octane number and unlike pretty much everything she's done before. Being so CRAZED it's bound to divide opinions but one year on, now the dust has settled, what do you think of the song? Do you have any memories attached to it?

Is it LARV or HATE? DISCUSS~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saenerys
post Sep 7 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #2
Pleased to meet you barbershop quartet.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

I have so many memories attached to this song! laugh.gif

I had just moved into my house for my training year and my housemate used to listen to R1 and we (and by we, I mean, me) were so excited for the radio premiere that I sat and listened to the debut and HATED it on first listen. We used to sit on the bus taking the mick out of the lyrics "IT WASN'T LARVEEEEEEE" and discuss how we hated the key change kink.gif

That said by about the third listen I was truly hooked and now I absolutely love it. It's become one of my favourite Gaga songs and I go NUTS on a night out if I hear it wub.gif I was a bit disappointed with the video however as it didn't live up to some of her predecessors.

+Quote Post
HausofSZA
post Sep 7 2017, 06:59 PM
Post #3
Henrietta R Hippo

I was pretty overwhelmed on first few listens but I liked it, then I became a little tired of it, then hearing it out a few times cemented it as an absolute FAVE of mine. It always gives me a boost whenever I hear it (the best times being blasting it so loud in my car) and it just makes me HAPPY. I love how unashamedly crazy it is, how she gives no f***s, how the spoken backdrop cuts through the final minute or so. A TREAT. I fully get why some will hate it or find it annoying but for me it's the Gaga I love - GAGA.

+Quote Post
HausofSZA
post Sep 7 2017, 07:03 PM
Post #4
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(Saenerys @ Sep 7 2017, 07:58 PM) *
That said by about the third listen I was truly hooked and now I absolutely love it. It's become one of my favourite Gaga songs and I go NUTS on a night out if I hear it wub.gif I was a bit disappointed with the video however as it didn't live up to some of her predecessors.

Hearing it on a night out is TOO MUCH.

I still remember where I was when I first heard it too! I was in bed and was left pretty speechless (not out of adoration but because I couldn't formulate a proper response to it laugh.gif). Then Radio 1 played it on the way to work and I had to pull the car up so I could experience it without CRASHING lmao.

+Quote Post
Saenerys
post Sep 7 2017, 07:15 PM
Post #5
Pleased to meet you barbershop quartet.
Member No.: 20,182

QUOTE(HausofSZA @ Sep 7 2017, 08:03 PM) *

I still remember where I was when I first heard it too! I was in bed and was left pretty speechless (not out of adoration but because I couldn't formulate a proper response to it laugh.gif). Then Radio 1 played it on the way to work and I had to pull the car up so I could experience it without CRASHING lmao.

I have seen your snapchats kink.gif

It's such a good Gaga song to balance out between all of her other typical club hits such as your Born This Way's and your Bad Romance's.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Sep 7 2017, 07:19 PM
Post #6
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Member No.: 51

In time this has cemented itself as being a seriously BRILLIANT song for me, and it did deserve better. I can see exactly why it wasn't a hit though, which is unfortunate but she took a risk and she's to be admired for that.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Sep 8 2017, 02:41 PM
Post #7
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I cannot believe this is already a year old drama.gif I was so excited to hear it especially after seeing it at #1 on iTunes. I wasn't sure on first listen but then it hit second time and went straight to #1 in my personal chart *.* this was a total risk for her but an enjoyable one at that. However, there would be better to come on the album!

(My main qualm is the video, my eyes cannot handle the strobe lights)

+Quote Post
Regina
post Sep 8 2017, 05:47 PM
Post #8
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

Like I said iint he other thread, this is my second fave Gaga song ever. I remember logging on here and seeing all the varying opinions on it and getting worried, but still
downloaded it without listening first. I also rememebr ti coming out at the same time as Recovering by Celine Dion so I had those two on repeat all day.

The key change is one of the best moments in music ever tbh.
I don't think I've cried such happy tears at a point in a song since I first heard the middle 8 of All The Lovers by Kylie.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Sep 8 2017, 06:02 PM
Post #9
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Love this, it was never commercial and was never gonna be a huge hit but from first listen it really struck me as feeling like it was what she wanted to release. The premiere was a MOMENT as well, me , Craig and Lotti were Rabbiting it despite Lotti having work like 2 hours after that laugh.gif Crying on cam *_*

QUOTE(HausofSZA @ Sep 7 2017, 08:03 PM) *

I think that's when it PROPER hit me, I loved it from like second listen but it wasn't until hearing it in that setting that it really set in as one of my fave Gaga songs laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Sep 8 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #10
must be love on the brain 💕
Member No.: 21,161

It's just absolutely batshit and she's like a woman possessed with her vocals, they're my favourite vocals from her ever <3 The sheer POWER of the song gets me everytime and I can only imagine what would happen if I heard it on a night out laugh.gif It's not the most commercial song on the album obvs and it terms of that it shouldn't have been the lead single but I honestly think looking above that it had to be the lead, it's the only song on the album that's truly GAGA and something I think she needed to do, Tok some time but it's definitely cemented itself as one of my Gaga faves! wub.gif

+Quote Post
lotita
post Sep 9 2017, 03:30 PM
Post #11
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

i love this song so much, it still makes me want to get up and dance and SCREAM. hearing it out makes my legs nearly give out, it's just THAT song, i don't think any other song has quite the same effect on me

+Quote Post
lotita
post Sep 9 2017, 03:31 PM
Post #12
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

also once during freshers resident support got called because i came home drunk played this on a loop whilst screaming it

+Quote Post
SKOB
post Sep 11 2017, 11:46 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,275
   No Gallery Pics

Still super YAAAASSS

Can't help but love it even though it's nothing special, it's very different to anything that has been out there

+Quote Post
Jack
post Sep 11 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

I remember on first listen I absolutely detested it, claimed it my worst ever GaGa song and so on, and now over time it has wormed it's way into my affections. Like said, on a night out it is so much fun to hear! Among her best maybe.

If you compare it to 'The Cure', I loved on first listen but now I find tiresome to listen to really.

+Quote Post
Jordan Lee
post Sunday, 01:08 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 27,116
   No Gallery Pics

I absolutely love it. I wouldn't have chose it to lead the campaign BUT I think it's an incredible and very very underrated track. At the time I remember being unsure of it but the key change for me is my favourites part of the track and I also love the video too I wish we got more live performances of the track.
I'd probably rank it around 6th in terms of Gaga singles which is very high. If the X Factor performance of this went ahead as planned it probably would've spent more weeks top 40.

+Quote Post
RobBob
post Sunday, 01:55 PM
Post #16
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 7,117

I enjoy it on a night out (probably with Bal only) but I would never ever choose to listen to this of my own accord. A mess but not in the best sense and the video is an absolute eyesore to boot.

+Quote Post
Slick
post Sunday, 03:18 PM
Post #17
I got hot sauce in my bag, swag
Member No.: 70

I've had an up-and-down relationship with this song since it was released but ultimately still think it's one of her worst singles. That's not to say it's a bad song, it's just not as good as her previous efforts. Definitely a skipper for me when it comes on at home.

+Quote Post
HausofSZA
post Sunday, 08:39 PM
Post #18
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(RobBob @ Sep 17 2017, 02:55 PM) *
I enjoy it on a night out (probably with Bal only) but I would never ever choose to listen to this of my own accord. A mess but not in the best sense and the video is an absolute eyesore to boot.

Breaking out her VMA Metallica dance moves to this in the middle of the dancefloor is a highlight of my life.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 07:58 PM