BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Artist Personalities
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Buttered Muffin
post Sep 8 2017, 02:21 PM
Post #1
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

I thought aboot this as people discussed the new Meghan McTanner song in the iTunes thread and some had no interest in hearing it because her personality on reality tv shows put her off.

Does the person singing the song make a big or even noticeable difference to your enjoyment of it??

For example, would you like Work Bitch as much, a veeery beige made-for-dance-clubs song, if it were by an artist by any other name?

Does Meghan McTanner put you off her music as another example?

Forme commercial stars are commercial products and the quality of their songs is often BUOYED by their personality, superstar status, rather than for for being great music SOME!! of the tinme. Obviously, Diamonds, Work, etc are great.

I am not affected too much by their personality, except a couple, but had to admit this year that I refused to like Sorry because it eas by the pop brat. I listen now however. I HAAATED Bon Appetit BUT!! I gave i more opportunities because i was Katy and ended up loving it, and gave Swish Swish more lidtens for the same reason and ended up um kind of liking it.

But what about y'all - do you completely separate singer and song? Can you?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SPINEMATIC
post Sep 8 2017, 03:35 PM
Post #2
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

No, the only difference for me is their vocals or melody. But if they were EXTREMELY bad like idk I'd maybe feel like "should I like this? I feel like I'm supporting such an evil person by liking their song :/" but I've never had that kind of extreme situation before laugh.gif

+Quote Post
lotita
post Sep 8 2017, 04:05 PM
Post #3
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

Really interesting topic- sometimes I can and sometimes I can't!! I do think certain songs I stan more just because I love the artist

+Quote Post
The Diplomat
post Sep 8 2017, 04:13 PM
Post #4
Life is too short for shade.
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

would you like Work Bitch as much, a veeery beige made-for-dance-clubs song

Yes because I prefer early 10s dance pop to the current tropical pop or the Sia/Sigrid type over-the-top style of pop.

This post has been edited by Big Hiss Machine: Sep 8 2017, 04:14 PM

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Sep 8 2017, 04:18 PM
Post #5
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

QUOTE(Cherry. @ Sep 8 2017, 05:05 PM) *
Really interesting topic- sometimes I can and sometimes I can't!! I do think certain songs I stan more just because I love the artist

Yeah same, when you're really invested I think that can affect things positively and if it was some random person you saw on a blog you'd be like "eh ok" laugh.gif It's only really for my few faves, I guess we all have those few artists we can be blind for and it's harmless really.

I try not to let myself judge artists by personality negatively and let it detract from music I'd otherwise enjoy, like there's Chris Brown for example who has some tunes but is ofc a pretty awful person. If it was like a murderer or child sex offender or something I'd probably be different but thankfully that hasn't happened to an artist I've enjoyed :/

+Quote Post
Jade
post Sep 8 2017, 05:11 PM
Post #6
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Yeah, great topic Michael. Liam hit the nail on the head for me. I obviously do not like Chris Brown for example as a person at all but he does have some good songs in his repertoire, like 'Forever', that I'd be happy to listen to. Which feels kinda wrong after what he's done. But then when it comes to Gary Glitter, Lostprophets, Rolf Harris etc. I absolutely could not bring myself to listen to their music ever again. What they've done is abhorrently wrong on another level. So yes, for me it takes something absolutely hideous like that to completely put me off someone's music. Not that beating someone up isn't wrong, 'cause it totally is and that's why I don't like him as a person, but it doesn't feel as alarmingly off-putting. Also on the flip side, if I do like someone as a person then I do feel a bit more curious about their music. Lady Gaga for example I adore so I'm always hyped to see what she wants to share with the world. But I'm not a blind stan that will just love everything my faves put out.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Sep 8 2017, 07:46 PM
Post #7
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

One example: Natalia Kills.

I was a big supporter of hers, bought both of her albums and kept willing her to be more successful/recognised. I still like her music and listen to a song or two here or there but after what happened on XF NZ I felt so bad for actively supporting a person like that and buying their music. If I could go back in time, I'd 'obtain' both albums for free and ensure she never received a single penny from me. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Sep 8 2017, 08:04 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,161

great topic Michael! I would say that I only get this with artists like Jade said for example Gary Glitter, Rolf Harris and Lostprophets, I probably wouldn't be listening to them anyway but even if I liked their music it would just feel so wrong after the f***ing evil things they've done and by listening to their music on Spotify or iTunes or however you're still giving them royalties which makes me feel sick. (I know only 1/4 of that band did those disgusting things but I'm sure y'all get my point~)

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Sep 8 2017, 08:46 PM) *
One example: Natalia Kills.

I was a big supporter of hers, bought both of her albums and kept willing her to be more successful/recognised. I still like her music and listen to a song or two here or there but after what happened on XF NZ I felt so bad for actively supporting a person like that and buying their music. If I could go back in time, I'd 'obtain' both albums for free and ensure she never received a single penny from me. laugh.gif

With people like Natalia or to a lesser degree Halsey/Demi/Sam Smith who are basically just twats I have no problems with listening to their music, even if it stops me stanning them as such laugh.gif (Yes I like most of Sam Smith's music ph34r.gif)

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Sep 8 2017, 08:45 PM
Post #9
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Member No.: 51

Urgh, Halsey. She goes so far beyond being a twat.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Sep 8 2017, 08:47 PM
Post #10
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I try and not do this, but I'd be lying if it doesn't influence me a little bit. Obvs for convicted paedophiles like Gary Glitter and Ian Watkins it's unavoidable, I've wiped the Lostprophets' musical existence from my memory even though I really liked some of their songs as I just can't listen to them in the light of what happened, it feels wrong.

The thing is with a lot of media stars or big personalities that break through is their personality is inevitably gonna shine through on their singles, so it's hard to sometimes manage to separate person from music. Jessie J for example with songs like It's My Party and Nobody's Perfect clearly showcase the absolute worst parts of her personality so I find it very hard to warm to the whole package, it's also why I find it hard to warm to Kanye West and Taylor Swift's certainly heading that way as well, I never really liked Chris Brown's music anyway but his personality certainly doesn't help.

I think it's an unconscious thing most of the time, but I can mainly put it aside if the music's good enough. I mean I love Oasis, U2 & Coldplay and well their personalities aren't the nicest/most modest~

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Sep 8 2017, 09:01 PM
Post #11
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Like Chez I really don't want to let it influence my enjoyment of music (art can be appreciated for what it is and not who created it) however because with music, artists are so integrally part of that art even if not the lyrics but for their voice on the record or the attitude within it etc. then I unfortunately don't think you can stop it having some effect. I guess I would describe it as a sliding scale depending on how much their personality grates on me versus how much I enjoy their music.

Father John Misty for example, I really enjoy some of his music but he comes across (both IRL and on record) as an obnoxious, self righteous and pretentious person which is really off-putting for me.

Kanye West also has come across quite badly in the past and is difficult to warm to, and that has undoubtably affected how much I enjoy his music, however I enjoy it enough to more than cancel out most of that I would say.

+Quote Post
JosephStyles
post Sep 8 2017, 09:06 PM
Post #12
dreadlocked hair don't care
Member No.: 13,530

I try my best to not let an artist's personality affect my enjoyment of their music, because a song is a song and it's there to be enjoyed ultimately, regardless of who made it (bar extreme cases but I don't think that's affected anything in my iTunes library). I mean, Justin Bieber's hardly a great role model half the time and he's done some really stupid things but I adore his music and still consider myself a huge stan of him.

When it comes to the likes of Chris Brown, much like Chez, I was never much of a fan anyway, he has the odd good song but I'll mostly pass on his music. Having said that, it's often nice to know that someone you like is a good person, either by meeting then yourself (like it's no doubt helped my love of The Vamps by knowing they're so nice in person) or just news stories.

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Sep 8 2017, 09:08 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,265

What about people like Michael Jackson, R. Kelly, Sean Paul?

+Quote Post
TheGhostPensmith
post Sep 8 2017, 09:16 PM
Post #14
TheGhostPensmith 👻
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah I'm with Jade on this one. If it's someone in the Glitter/Watkins vein of sickery, that taints anything they've achieved for me. Although I specifically can't hack listening to certain people if I think they're a bit creepy. Mick Hucknall and Simply Red being a classic example. He looks like the little demon from 'Don't Look Now' only creepier. And yet conversely I can sit through most things Martine McCutcheon's released for the simple reason she honked up in his dreadlocks in the 90s, and thus earns my full respect biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Sep 9 2017, 09:38 AM
Post #15
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I find most of the artists I like seem to have pretty good personalities. I think I might roll my eyes at Adam Levine sometimes but it doesn't show through in the music.

I think Chez has it right though. If a horrific personality shines through in the music (Jessie, Taylor) I just can't with them. Other artists with shit personalities just happen not be artists I like (Natalia Kills, Chris Brown, Kanye West post 2007)

When it comes to actual sex criminals, most had careers before my time so again, not really affected. However, I used to be partial to Lostprophets though i never bought their albums and now I never will.

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Sep 9 2017, 10:12 AM
Post #16
When you look back on us, would you call that love?
Member No.: 20,182

I can dislike an artists personality i.e. Taylor, Jessie J, etc etc, but then there will be times where they surprise me with tracks such as Style, Domino or whatever, but that personality doesn't influence me boycotting their music completely unless they've done something truly horrific like some of the names listed already.

+Quote Post
Jupiteer
post Sep 9 2017, 11:45 AM
Post #17
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Sometimes yeah, sometimes no. If I actively dislike them I'll generally avoid their music as I don't want them making money off me listening.

+Quote Post
Jack
post Sep 9 2017, 02:43 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

QUOTE(Andrew. @ Sep 8 2017, 09:04 PM) *
With people like Natalia or to a lesser degree Halsey/Demi/Sam Smith who are basically just twats I have no problems with listening to their music, even if it stops me stanning them as such laugh.gif (Yes I like most of Sam Smith's music ph34r.gif)

Genuinely curious to know what peoples issue with Demi is? I think when she was younger she was naive and talked for the sake of talking a lot and said some egotistical silly things but lately I have found her to be a great personality.

It can affect me slightly, I think Taylor Swift for example is a pretty rancid person and I'd be lying if I said it hasn't put me off her latest music but I can still appreciate them and enjoy listening to her newest music.

I do always try and go into music with an open mind though, I never thought I'd like a One Direction song for example but there are quite a few I like.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Sep 9 2017, 03:20 PM
Post #19
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I think what people don't like about Demi is how she gets stuck into other people's business so much. She's like that kid in the class no one gives a shit about so she overcompensates by comentating on everyone's need to get noticed but it's just annoying.

+Quote Post
Jack
post Sep 9 2017, 03:24 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

I haven't seen examples of this personally? Maybe I just haven't paid attention.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 02:58 PM