BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GET TO KNOW: Brett-Butler
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Brett-Butler
post Sep 8 2017, 07:10 PM
Post #1
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Satiate your need for knowledge. As long as said knowledge relates to me.

Ask me anything. Go go go!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lotita
post Sep 8 2017, 07:11 PM
Post #2
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

Corbyn or mogg

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Sep 8 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #3
Howdy, disco citizens.
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cherry. @ Sep 8 2017, 08:11 PM) *
Corbyn or mogg

Corbyn, but just barely.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Sep 8 2017, 07:17 PM
Post #4
If you believe, they put a man on the moon
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

What are your favourite Suede songs?
If you would travel back in time to buy a pre-2010's album on original vinyl pressing, which one would it be?
Which album do you want to win the Mercury Prize this year?
What do you think of the band Pond (2010's Australian, not the 90s band)?
From the looks of the previews and the teasers, what do you think of the Justice League movie?

Favourite movies of 2017?
Favourite movies of all time?
Favourite bands/artists?
Favourite TV shows?

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Sep 8 2017, 07:22 PM
Post #5
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

If you were the captain of your own actual boat (and not merely a metaphorical one), what would you call it?

What is your favourite UK number 1 hit of all-time?

If you could visit any place at any time in all of history, where would you go and why?

On a scale of 0 to 10 (focussing mainly on leadership but also strategy) how would you rate Theresa May as a Prime Minister?

David Cameron's EU referendum gamble the biggest fail in UK political history since... ?

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Sep 8 2017, 07:26 PM
Post #6
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

Best Big4 firm?

Which fellow Big4 firm is the best to take the piss out of?

On a scale of PwC@TheOscars to PwC's Audit of Tesco not picking up a £0.36bn profit overstatement, how much of a f*** up will Brexit be?

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Sep 8 2017, 07:27 PM
Post #7
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

How many anime figurines/how much general merchandise do you have?

What got you into anime in the first place?

I know best girl thanks to my FF round (good choice, Honoka's cool) but if you had to pick a best boy... who?

I am also interested in like your political answers, but I figured I'd get that side of things down.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Sep 8 2017, 07:32 PM
Post #8
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I remember you mentioning before that you were interested in starting a musical podcast series. Who would be your dream musicians to sit down and have a chat with? (I say musicians plural because I presume your top answer would be Brett Anderson)

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Sep 8 2017, 07:33 PM
Post #9
Howdy, disco citizens.
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ Sep 8 2017, 08:17 PM) *
What are your favourite Suede songs?
If you would travel back in time to buy a pre-2010's album on original vinyl pressing, which one would it be?
Which album do you want to win the Mercury Prize this year?
What do you think of the band Pond (2010's Australian, not the 90s band)?
From the looks of the previews and the teasers, what do you think of the Justice League movie?
Favourite movies of 2017?
Favourite movies of all time?
Favourite bands/artists?
Favourite TV shows?

1. Stay Together is my absolute favourite. That song saved my life, so it will always hold special significance to me. Outside of that, Filmstar, The Wild Ones, Trash, Picnic By The Motorway, Killing of a Flashboy, Stay Together & Animal Nitrate are among my favourites.
2. The Beatles (the White Album). It's such an iconic album, plus original copies of that album sell for silly money.
3. I'm not too fussed on many of this year's nominations, although Glass Animals would be the act I'd be most pleased to see win, as the singles from that record were quite good.
4. Haven't really dug much into Pond to be honest. They're related to Tame Impala, aren't they?
5. Haven't seen the teasers or watched any trailers for Justice League. Batman v Superman disappointed me so much that I've not paid attention to any DC movies since (although I've heard good things about Wonder Woman).
6. I really enjoyed The Founder, which is a brilliant film about how McDonalds came to be, which is a good mix of drama, comedy & deception. I quite liked The Hitman's Bodyguard too, even though it took a critical mauling.
7. Paprika, which is an anime film about a dream detective (which Inception took a lot of inspiration from), is one of my favourites, as is Porco Rosso, my favourite Hayao Miyazaki film. Apart from those, I do find it quite hard to name my favourites, but some films that I really love include Blazing Saddles (the funniest film of all time), Reservoir Dogs, 12 Angry Men, The General (a Buster Keaton silent film), The Great Dictator (Charlie Chaplin, finishes with the greatest speech in cinematic history), and The One (a Jet Li action film set in parallel worlds, which was criminally underrated at the time).
8. My stock answer is usually (in this order) Suede, The Cure, Teenage Fanclub, Eels & Vampire Weekend. Although Air, Franz Ferdinand & Public Service Broadcasting would also be competing for that #5 slot.
9. Outside of anime, 24, The Simpsons (up to season 12), Quantum Leap & House of Cards would be some of my perennial favourites.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Sep 8 2017, 07:41 PM
Post #10
Howdy, disco citizens.
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Sep 8 2017, 08:22 PM) *
If you were the captain of your own actual boat (and not merely a metaphorical one), what would you call it?

What is your favourite UK number 1 hit of all-time?

If you could visit any place at any time in all of history, where would you go and why?

On a scale of 0 to 10 (focussing mainly on leadership but also strategy) how would you rate Theresa May as a Prime Minister?

David Cameron's EU referendum gamble the biggest fail in UK political history since... ?

1. HMS Sparky (after the Teenage Fanclub hit "Sparky's Dream).

2. This changes for me all the time, and I'm finding it hard to choose just one, but as of now, probably "Praise You" by Fatboy Slim.

3. Calvary, circa 30AD. Just to confirm I'm on the right team.

4. A 2. Since she took over, I can't think of any positive legislation that has been enacted on her watch, and Brexit negotiations/that unsuccessful general election did not reflect that well on her. The reason I didn't give her a zero is because I am a kind fellow and would imagine that Mrs May would be incredibly upset if she saw that I have her a big fat 0.

5. The Iraq War. I still wonder how the course of parliamentary history would have proceeded if Blair hadn't brought the UK into that war.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Sep 8 2017, 07:48 PM
Post #11
Howdy, disco citizens.
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Sep 8 2017, 08:26 PM) *
Best Big4 firm?

Which fellow Big4 firm is the best to take the piss out of?

On a scale of PwC@TheOscars to PwC's Audit of Tesco not picking up a £0.36bn profit overstatement, how much of a f*** up will Brexit be?

1. Has to be PwC, because they were the only one bonkers enough to offer me a job.

2. Ernst & Young, because they seem to be obsessed with poaching all the Belfast ones at the moment.

3. A £5.1m fine for extensive misconduct on the audit of RSM Tenon.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Sep 8 2017, 07:49 PM
Post #12
If you believe, they put a man on the moon
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Sep 8 2017, 08:33 PM) *
4. Haven't really dug much into Pond to be honest. They're related to Tame Impala, aren't they?
6. I really enjoyed The Founder, which is a brilliant film about how McDonalds came to be, which is a good mix of drama, comedy & deception. I quite liked The Hitman's Bodyguard too, even though it took a critical mauling.

Yes, they are. Nick Allbrook of that band was a touring member for Tame Impala.
I enjoyed The Founder and The Hitman's Bodyguard too.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Sep 8 2017, 07:54 PM
Post #13
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Sep 8 2017, 08:41 PM) *
2. This changes for me all the time, and I'm finding it hard to choose just one, but as of now, probably "Praise You" by Fatboy Slim.

That's a good choice, although I am shocked you didn't plump for Enya! I always wished that “Right Here Right Now” had made #1 instead of being stuck behind W***life. : (

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Sep 8 2017, 08:03 PM
Post #14
Howdy, disco citizens.
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Sep 8 2017, 08:27 PM) *
How many anime figurines/how much general merchandise do you have?

What got you into anime in the first place?

I know best girl thanks to my FF round (good choice, Honoka's cool) but if you had to pick a best boy... who?

I am also interested in like your political answers, but I figured I'd get that side of things down.

1. I don't have too much anime merchandise, DVDs aside. In terms of figures etc, I have -

A figure of Mikasa from Attack on Titan
A figure of Honoka from Love Live (Snow Halation Costume)
A chibi figure of Ryoko from Kill La Kill
A chibi figure of Inami from Working!!/Wagnaria!!
A mini figurine of Ika Musume
A plushie Catbus
A plushie of Maki from Love Live (which I won from a crane game in a Japanese arcade)
A mini doll of Honoka from Live Live (which I won from a crane game in a Japanese arcade)
A Noh-Face money box.

I also really want to set a Nendoroid figure of Atsuko from Little Witch Academia, but they're really expensive to import, so may have to hope I luck out on a cheap one.

2. A caught the premiere of Spirited Away on BBC2 when I was 15, and fell in love with that film. I loved that its mythological base was so different from what we have in "The West", and I really liked that the heroes/villains of the piece weren't as black & white as you would find in Western animation. Obviously I dug deeply into the Ghibli back catelogue off the back of that, but I didn't really start watching anime TV series until I decided on a whim to watch the entirety of Ranma 1/2 (an anime from the late 80s/early 90s about a young martial artists who turns into a girl when he gets splashed with water), and from then I moved into Inuyasha, and then started watching anime on a more regular basis.

3. Does Koro-sensei count? If not, then probably Kogami from Psycho-Pass or Takeo from My Love Story.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Sep 8 2017, 08:05 PM
Post #15
Howdy, disco citizens.
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Sep 8 2017, 08:54 PM) *
That's a good choice, although I am shocked you didn't plump for Enya! I always wished that “Right Here Right Now” had made #1 instead of being stuck behind W***life. : (

I very nearly plumped for Enya too! It's one of my favourite #1s of the 80s, alongside a song that I love but others may find too cheesy, "China in Your Hand" by T'Pau.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Sep 8 2017, 08:13 PM
Post #16
Howdy, disco citizens.
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jade @ Sep 8 2017, 08:32 PM) *
I remember you mentioning before that you were interested in starting a musical podcast series. Who would be your dream musicians to sit down and have a chat with? (I say musicians plural because I presume your top answer would be Brett Anderson)

Not just interested - I have started a musical podcast series! You can subscribe in iTunes (shameless plug), and to date I've sat down with some great Northern Irish musicians, including Beauty Sleep, Gerry Norman (of A Plastic Rose), Lauren Bird & Owen Denvir, all over a cup of tea and delicious bun of the guest's choosing (with myself always going for Battenberg).

In terms of who I've love to sit down with, aside from the obvious, I'd love to sit down with Mark Everett of Eels - he's had a very interesting, albeit tough, life, so he would be great to talk to. Morrissey as well, although I'd have to make sure I get him vegan pastry and almond milk beforehand. Also Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand, mainly because his music had such an impact on me growing up. Of the more realistic prospects, I'd love to sit down with Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol (I'm in contact with someone who runs a management company with him, so it's within the realms of possibility), and especially talk about how Chasing Cars became such a monster hit. And I'd love to interview J Wilgoose (Public Service Broadcasting) again, although whether I can get him to come around to my house for a cup of tea and a bun is another question!

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Sep 8 2017, 08:16 PM
Post #17
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Sep 8 2017, 09:03 PM) *
A figure of Mikasa from Attack on Titan
A chibi figure of Ryoko from Kill La Kill
A plushie Catbus

I'm not a big merchandise collector myself and have nil figurines but I'm just imagining how good these three in particular must look and I'm suddenly rather jealous! laugh.gif

3. Does Koro-sensei count? If not, then probably Kogami from Psycho-Pass or Takeo from My Love Story.

I'd say he counts! Good choice with Kogami and though I haven't seen the other, his character design is hard to miss so I can see that too.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Sep 8 2017, 08:30 PM
Post #18
Howdy, disco citizens.
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Sep 8 2017, 09:16 PM) *
I'm not a big merchandise collector myself and have nil figurines but I'm just imagining how good these three in particular must look and I'm suddenly rather jealous! laugh.gif

Well, imagine no more!

+Quote Post
JosephStyles
post Sep 8 2017, 08:34 PM
Post #19
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

Favourite #1 hit of the past couple of years? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Sep 8 2017, 08:37 PM
Post #20
Howdy, disco citizens.
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Sep 8 2017, 09:34 PM) *
Favourite #1 hit of the past couple of years? ohmy.gif

Since 2013, "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk and "Wake Me Up" by Avicii.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 11:15 PM