BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Are You Reading Right Now?, Fiction, non-fiction, comics, text books...
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
breezyspice
post Sep 8 2017, 08:40 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Climber
Group: Members
Member No.: 39,572
   No Gallery Pics

I tried a couple forum searches and couldn't find something like this so please forgive me if I missed it!

I love to read and am always looking for new things to add to my reading list. I have a Goodreads account and get a lot of recommendations from that and when I notice a friend on there reads similar books as I do, I start tracking what they read!

Curious if anyone here also loves to read and what you're reading now, or your favorite books??

I'm currently reading:

- new issues of The Walking Dead comics as they come out (I have a subscription through Comixology)
- Sword of Destiny (The Witcher, #2) by Andrzej Sapkowski (I'm trying to read ALL the books before I start the video game series)
- 10% Happier by Dan Harris (self-help book on how to tame stress levels)
- Voyager (Outlander, #3) by Diana Gabaldon (which I had full intentions of finishing before SSN 3 of Outlander starts but seeing as it starts this weekend, I won't be catching up!)

I pledged to read 50 books this year and I'm already at 41 so I think I'm going to bump it up a bit!

Excited to see what you all read and enjoy!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Sep 8 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #2
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I'm currently reading Ghostwritten by David Mitchell which I picked up at a charity shop over the summer and only just got round to reading, and also Content Provider by Stewart Lee, which a collection of his somewhat bizarre (but enjoyable for me!) Guardian columns written between 2011 and 2016.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Sep 8 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #3
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Currently reading Derren Brown's Happy!

Not really read any sort of similar book and I'm definitely a fiction reader over non-fiction but after a bit of a shitty year, and being a massive fan of Derren Brown for the past few years, I'd thought I'd check it out, especially as it seems to really give a different perspective to the usual messages 'self-help' books offer.

Currently half way through and finding it really interesting! It's been looking at the problems of the usual self-help books and the history of the philosophy of happiness and is now focusing on how we can use this to look at solutions to change the way we see the world. How we should be expecting happineess but the darker times etc are nathral. That's a very simplified brief but I really would recommend, offers some really different perspectives from the usual advice and shows that it's alright to be down sometimes and happiness is not a guarantee just because you wish for it.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Sep 8 2017, 09:05 PM
Post #4
If you believe, they put a man on the moon
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

High Fidelity

+Quote Post
Josh-tice League
post Sep 8 2017, 09:09 PM
Post #5
c:
Member No.: 20,692

I just finished reading 'Call Me By Your Name' and 'Wonderstruck' whilst I was on holiday last week. I quite like reading the books before I see the film versions so I'm excited to see both of these movie adaptations.

Next on my list is the new Paula Hawkins book as I really enjoyed reading The Girl On The Train last Summer wub.gif

+Quote Post
TheGhostPensmith
post Sep 8 2017, 09:27 PM
Post #6
TheGhostPensmith 👻
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ Sep 8 2017, 10:05 PM) *
High Fidelity

LOVE that book. Have you seen the film version?

And I am currently reading one of the Pointless books. Namely 'A Pointless History of the World'. Very amusing it is too.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Sep 8 2017, 09:35 PM
Post #7
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

Currently taking advantage of both the gap in my schedule for recreational reading and the new job to browse for good new reads. Currently trying to multitask-read

Stay With Me by Aỵbámi Adébáỵ (about this couple whose relationship breaks down set in Nigeria in the 1980s amidst loads of social unrest)
The Lubetkin Legacy by Marina Lewycka (comedy set in 21st century North London)
Shakespeare's Rebel by C.C. Humphreys (historical novel about The Earl of Essex, Robert Cecil and William Shakespeare and the political turmoil and revolts in 1599)

+Quote Post
troublepink
post Sep 8 2017, 09:51 PM
Post #8
Beautiful Trauma
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 590

I'm currently reading the serial killer files by Paul Simpson. I've read up to page 235 in three days which is good for me as I'm a very slow reader 😅

I'm also half way through the Outlandish companion volume 1 which describes in detail the plot, characters etc of the outlander series. This volume is for the first four books and very helpful with the character lists and useful notes for such a huge volume of pages in the books 😊

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Sep 8 2017, 10:22 PM
Post #9
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I don't know how people can multi-task books! I guess it should be like watching multiple TV series but I always have to stick with one book!

+Quote Post
Regina
post Sep 8 2017, 10:24 PM
Post #10
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

Almost done with The Help, loving it wub.gif not sure what I'll move onto next.

+Quote Post
breezyspice
post Sep 8 2017, 10:33 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Climber
   No Gallery Pics

Ghostwritten by David Mitchell
Thanks Doctor Blind, added to Goodreads! The reviews there are pretty epic, like this one: "This book blew my mind. This book also ripped out my heart and stomped on it and then stuffed the battered organ back in my chest cavity, breathed feathery soft on it and set it pumping again."

Currently reading Derren Brown's Happy!

Not really read any sort of similar book and I'm definitely a fiction reader over non-fiction but after a bit of a shitty year, and being a massive fan of Derren Brown for the past few years, I'd thought I'd check it out, especially as it seems to really give a different perspective to the usual messages 'self-help' books offer.

Currently half way through and finding it really interesting! It's been looking at the problems of the usual self-help books and the history of the philosophy of happiness and is now focusing on how we can use this to look at solutions to change the way we see the world. How we should be expecting happineess but the darker times etc are nathral. That's a very simplified brief but I really would recommend, offers some really different perspectives from the usual advice and shows that it's alright to be down sometimes and happiness is not a guarantee just because you wish for it.

Klaus, I totally agree about self-help books and the monotony that comes along with them. I'm hoping the one I mentioned in my OP is similar to the experience you're having with Happy! Also - I used to be the same way about multi-tasking books, for me, they have to be completely separate types in order to do it... that's why in my list one is a comic, one is a fantasy and one is a self-help!

I just finished reading 'Call Me By Your Name' and 'Wonderstruck' whilst I was on holiday last week. I quite like reading the books before I see the film versions so I'm excited to see both of these movie adaptations.
Josh!, I also love reading books before the films - I'm interested in Wonderstruck so I've added that to my Goodreads as well! I'm wanting to read Ready Player One before the film comes out too.

Shakespeare's Rebel by C.C. Humphreys (historical novel about The Earl of Essex, Robert Cecil and William Shakespeare and the political turmoil and revolts in 1599)

LexC, I've added this to my Goodreads!! I visited Stratford-upon-Avon, the (new) Globe, the Tower... although I read these types before my trip this summer I know I'll enjoy them so much more now after having visited England!

I'm also half way through the Outlandish companion volume 1 which describes in detail the plot, characters etc of the outlander series. This volume is for the first four books and very helpful with the character lists and useful notes for such a huge volume of pages in the books

troublepink, this is absolutely on my list of to-reads, it's good to know its for the first four books so I can read it after I finish Voyager and Drums of Autumn!

Thanks everybody, keep 'em coming!!

This post has been edited by breezyspice: Sep 8 2017, 10:34 PM

+Quote Post
breezyspice
post Sep 8 2017, 10:37 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Climber
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Regina @ Sep 8 2017, 04:24 PM) *
Almost done with The Help, loving it wub.gif not sure what I'll move onto next.

What is it about The Help that you like? (I haven't read it) but maybe we can find you your next one!

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Sep 9 2017, 05:47 AM
Post #13
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

I'm currently reading this thread. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Sep 9 2017, 10:15 AM
Post #14
When you look back on us, would you call that love?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

Want to finish Game of Thrones and then try and finally start with Me Before You, I've had it for ages now and haven't had the time to get round to reading it sad.gif

+Quote Post
Baytree
post Sep 9 2017, 03:16 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 334
   No Gallery Pics

Anthony Doerr - All The Light We Cannot See

Antoine Leiris - You Will Not Have My Hate.

+Quote Post
troublepink
post Sep 9 2017, 03:38 PM
Post #16
Beautiful Trauma
Member No.: 590

QUOTE(breezyspice @ Sep 8 2017, 11:33 PM) *
troublepink, this is absolutely on my list of to-reads, it's good to know its for the first four books so I can read it after I finish Voyager and Drums of Autumn!
Thanks everybody, keep 'em coming!!

It's always good to find another outlander fan! I am obsessed with the series since I visited Doune Castle (Castle Leoch) back in February 2014 and they were in the middle of filming the first season there, didn't see anyone, but was cool to see the set. A lady in the gift shop told me about the story so I ended up reading the first book before the tv series was out. Since then I've always tried to keep one book in front of the tv series, but since I was expecting season three to be out in April this year, I recently ended up finishing book 5! Really is an excellent series, and for someone who is a very slow reader, I usually stay away from books which are 1000+ pages. I plan to read book 6 early next year ❤

+Quote Post
lotita
post Sep 9 2017, 03:39 PM
Post #17
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

currently reading back to back by julia franck! it's interesting but i don't really like the translation i'm reading, it feels clunky i wish i had the original in german sad.gif

+Quote Post
breezyspice
post Sep 9 2017, 06:27 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Climber
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(troublepink @ Sep 9 2017, 09:38 AM) *
It's always good to find another outlander fan! I am obsessed with the series since I visited Doune Castle (Castle Leoch) back in February 2014 and they were in the middle of filming the first season there, didn't see anyone, but was cool to see the set. A lady in the gift shop told me about the story so I ended up reading the first book before the tv series was out. Since then I've always tried to keep one book in front of the tv series, but since I was expecting season three to be out in April this year, I recently ended up finishing book 5! Really is an excellent series, and for someone who is a very slow reader, I usually stay away from books which are 1000+ pages. I plan to read book 6 early next year ❤

I went to Doune Castle this summer!!!!

It was on my list initially because Monty Python and the Holy Grail was filmed there, but the added bonus was that both Outlander and Game of Thrones has filmed there too!

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Sep 9 2017, 06:30 PM
Post #19
I'll be the actress starring in your bad dreams
Member No.: 20,947

I just finished Atonement and it was utterly fab <3 I thought it was even better than the film I adore and I love how in-depth the book goes into the characters & the events and I was legit crying during the final section of the book!

Not sure what I'm reading next, possibly The Color Purple or Red Sparrow!

QUOTE(Saenerys @ Sep 9 2017, 11:15 AM) *
Want to finish Game of Thrones and then try and finally start with Me Before You, I've had it for ages now and haven't had the time to get round to reading it sad.gif

SAME. I absolutely loved the film and I've had the book to read for ages and I STILL haven't got round to it and forgot all about it sad.gif Rly need to read it!

+Quote Post
breezyspice
post Sep 9 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Climber
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(UltraReputation @ Sep 9 2017, 12:30 PM) *
I just finished Atonement and it was utterly fab <3 I thought it was even better than the film I adore and I love how in-depth the book goes into the characters & the events and I was legit crying during the final section of the book!

Have you read Ian McEwan's book 'Nutshell'? I read it this summer and it was really interesting based on the POV of the one telling the story!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 11:15 PM