BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GET TO KNOW: BillyH
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
BillyH
post Sep 9 2017, 12:28 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

Erm so I hope this is ok? I know I'm not one of the most well-known members here but ask away if you wanna smile.gif

Quick intro...CoolClarity/Buzzjack lurker since 2004 and member since 2008 (yeah soz it took me a while). Days away from turning 29. Major lover of early 90s rave and late 90s/early 00s trance, along with everything by Muse, Erasure and the Pet Shop Boys! Now it's over to you...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Sep 9 2017, 12:35 AM
Post #2
If you believe, they put a man on the moon
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

What are your favourite 90s dance tracks?
What are your favourite movies?
What are your favourite TV shows?
Do you like pasta?
Any movie you recently saw in the cinema?
What book have you recently read? If so, did you like it?
If you had a chance to study a subject you haven't done in the past, which one would it be?

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Sep 9 2017, 10:18 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

1. System F - Out of the Blue, 2. - N-Trance - Set You Free, Underworld - Moaner, Bizarre Inc - Such A Feeling, Gouryella - Gouryella, Veracocha - Carte Blanche, William Orbit - Barber's Adagio for Strings (Ferry Corsten remix), Josh Wink - Higher State of Concsiousness (Dex & Jonesey remix), Underworld - Born Slippy...christ, there's loads tongue.gif

2. Boyhood, Star Wars, Back To The Future, Groundhog Day, The Truman Show all immediately come to mind.

3. Haven't really watched TV for a few years but Doctor Who, Family Guy, Monty Python, Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes and The Young Ones all stand out.

4. Sure do! Go-to dish whenever I'm in an Italian place!

5. Detroit a few days ago - absolutely awesome (if uncomfortable at several points), shame it hasn't done better.

6. Michael Palin's Diaries - amazing how they transport you back to the time of writing, even for years I wasn't born in it's all seriously evocative.

7. Learn any language!! French would be first, then Spanish, then who knows...

+Quote Post
danVember
post Sep 9 2017, 10:19 AM
Post #4
Danvīci
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

what do you think of the state of dance music at the moment? what songs you enjoying?

what's the most interesting thing you've done this year?

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Sep 9 2017, 03:39 PM
Post #5
If you believe, they put a man on the moon
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(BillyH @ Sep 9 2017, 11:18 AM) *
1. System F - Out of the Blue, 2. - N-Trance - Set You Free, Underworld - Moaner, Bizarre Inc - Such A Feeling, Gouryella - Gouryella, Veracocha - Carte Blanche, William Orbit - Barber's Adagio for Strings (Ferry Corsten remix), Josh Wink - Higher State of Concsiousness (Dex & Jonesey remix), Underworld - Born Slippy...christ, there's loads tongue.gif

I have some 90s dance CD singles which I found while charity shopping.

Bizarre Inc - Playing With Knives
MK feat. Alana - Always (long before he became known for his remixes of Look Right Through and My Head Is A Jungle)
Urban Shakedown - Some Justice
SL2 - DJs Take Control
The Prodigy - Fire/Jericho

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Sep 9 2017, 04:59 PM
Post #6
Just another burden on the welfare state
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Do you have a job? Whereabouts do you live and do you like it?

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Sep 10 2017, 03:07 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(danG @ Sep 9 2017, 11:19 AM) *
what do you think of the state of dance music at the moment? what songs you enjoying?

The only one I've heard this year so far I've genuinely loved was Kygo feat Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me. I haven't been clubbing regularly since the first half of 2014 (My Love, Tsunami, Nobody To Love etc) so I'm less familiar with tracks from the last couple of years.

Kygo - Firestone and Alan Walker - Faded are easily up there with the greatest tracks of the decade though, still adore both!

QUOTE(danG @ Sep 9 2017, 11:19 AM) *
what's the most interesting thing you've done this year?

Spent a month travelling around the Balkan region of Eastern Europe (Albania, Montenegro, Croatia and Bosnia), eventually flying into Kiev to watch Eurovision live. Gloriously cheap and awesomely friendly people!

This post has been edited by BillyH: Sep 10 2017, 03:13 PM

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Sep 10 2017, 03:12 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ Sep 9 2017, 04:39 PM) *
I have some 90s dance CD singles which I found while charity shopping.

Bizarre Inc - Playing With Knives
MK feat. Alana - Always (long before he became known for his remixes of Look Right Through and My Head Is A Jungle)
Urban Shakedown - Some Justice
SL2 - DJs Take Control
The Prodigy - Fire/Jericho

Playing With Knives is my fave out of those - a huge jam!

I associate MK most with Nightcrawlers - Push The Feeling On myself, his remix is the most famous one:

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Sep 9 2017, 05:59 PM) *
Do you have a job? Whereabouts do you live and do you like it?

I work at a cinema in London, but I'm leaving on Tuesday as I'm going back to live in Australia for two months (I lived there from 2015-16 on a work visa). Got enough saved up to chill out until looking for a new job in November!

+Quote Post
Jacob Alan
post Sep 10 2017, 04:18 PM
Post #9
Jacob Alan
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

Do you collect vinyl?

If you had to pick a single genre of music, which one would you pick?

+Quote Post
The Diplomat
post Sep 10 2017, 04:26 PM
Post #10
Life is too short for shade.
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

-

This post has been edited by Big Hiss Machine: Sep 11 2017, 11:49 AM

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Sep 10 2017, 05:17 PM
Post #11
Just another burden on the welfare state
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(BillyH @ Sep 10 2017, 04:12 PM) *
I work at a cinema in London, but I'm leaving on Tuesday as I'm going back to live in Australia for two months (I lived there from 2015-16 on a work visa). Got enough saved up to chill out until looking for a new job in November!

Nice! Why were you in Australia before?

+Quote Post
Jupiteer
post Sep 10 2017, 05:26 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Who are your favourite dance vocalists?

This post has been edited by StillJupiter: Sep 10 2017, 05:26 PM

+Quote Post
Flatcap
post Sep 10 2017, 06:32 PM
Post #13
Gunpowder!
Member No.: 27
   No Gallery Pics

Is there a country you wish to visit? If so, which one?

+Quote Post
HarryApa
post Sep 10 2017, 06:35 PM
Post #14
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,835

Have you been to a concert before?

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Sep 11 2017, 11:45 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jacøb @ Sep 10 2017, 05:18 PM) *
Do you collect vinyl?

And play it biggrin.gif Got my first USB record player in 2008 and used it to copy a ton of tracks hard to find on CD/download/Spotify to my iPod. Late 80s/early 90s dance tracks especially as often they feature samples that have been removed or re-recorded since.

Me and a mate once just bought a ton of random records for a pound or so in Stoke Newington, having no idea what they sounded like, and played them at home to see if they were any good - best discovery was Salt Tank - Eugina, early trance jam from 1996!

[quote name='Jacøb' date='Sep 10 2017, 05:18 PM' post='5817207']If you had to pick a single genre of music, which one would you pick?[/qupte]

Trance definitely, at least the 1999-2003 big euphoric era. It was the music I first discovered when properly getting into dance in the early-mid noughties.

This post has been edited by BillyH: Sep 11 2017, 12:01 PM

+Quote Post
The Diplomat
post Sep 11 2017, 11:48 AM
Post #16
   No Gallery Pics

What is your favourite and least favourite year for dance in the UK Charts? (years from 1990 onwards)

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Sep 11 2017, 12:05 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Sep 10 2017, 06:17 PM) *
Nice! Why were you in Australia before?

You can live there for a year (or two if you do some farm work, which I didn't) on a work visa as long as you're under 30. Thought I'd do it while I still could - was hard to leave all my friends and family behind for so long, but smartphones and Skype made keeping in touch easy. Spent it living around the country in hostels, hanging out with friends and working at the Adelaide Fringe festival - any late 2015-mid 2016 hit single (Hello, Sorry, Love Yourself, 7 Years, One Dance etc) still reminds me of being there!

QUOTE(StillJupiter @ Sep 10 2017, 06:26 PM) *
Who are your favourite dance vocalists?

Loleatta Holloway was just the utter queen. That Love Sensation performance - especially on Ride On Time - wow!! Just blew me away when I first heard it as a teen.

Obvs wonderful Kelly Llorenna for all her N-Trance work...can I mention Molly Smitten-Downes too? Saw her live nine years ago when she was part of Stunt and she stormed it, to the point where I thought it was seriously unfair she was only known for a one-hit Sash cover...was overjoyed when she came to greater prominence a few years later in Eurovision!

A few more obscure names - Carla Werner for Southern Sun (Tiesto mix linked as that's the best one), and Marcella Woods (sister of Michael), who's been on a few tracks but Matt Darey - Beautiful is her best I think.

QUOTE(Flatcap @ Sep 10 2017, 07:32 PM) *
Is there a country you wish to visit? If so, which one?

Iran! All accounts say it's awesome there, but you can't travel independently there with a British passport cus of political reasons. I'm waiting until my Irish passport arrives before I travel there (thank you Irish grandparents!), as Ireland or indeed any European country that isn't the UK are welcomed into Tehran with open arms biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Sep 11 2017, 12:12 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HarryEzra @ Sep 10 2017, 07:35 PM) *
Have you been to a concert before?

First one I went to was Clubland Live at the Hammersmith Apollo in March 2008 - N-Trance, Ultrabeat, Scooter and headliner Cascada (and a few more) all performing live. I just say 'Cascada' to people who ask my first concert as that's easier, even if everyone keeps saying their favourite Cascada track is 'Castles In The Sky'...

First one of just one artist was the equally embarrassing answer of Alphabeat, later that same year! My favourite of all time though was Pulp in Hyde Park in 2011, followed by Muse at Shepherd's Bush Empire a few weeks ago.

QUOTE(Big Hiss Machine @ Sep 11 2017, 12:48 PM) *
What is your favourite and least favourite year for dance in the UK Charts? (years from 1990 onwards)

Favourite - 1999 by a country mile. Absolute commercial peak year of trance with every track Ferry Corsten touched being utter gold. By complete coincidence I'm listening to Binary Finary's '1999' right now (Kaycee remix), and wow...barely anything released since has matched for me the quality of tracks from that year.

Least - I'm still going to go with 2005 I think, I really only care for the indie and urban tracks from that year although Pendulum's 'Hold Your Colour' is one of the all-time greatest dance albums. But I don't really know that many tracks from 2014 onwards other than the odd tropical house hit.

+Quote Post
The Diplomat
post Sep 12 2017, 11:06 AM
Post #19
   No Gallery Pics

and Marcella Woods (sister of Michael), who's been on a few tracks but Matt Darey - Beautiful is her best I think.

What happened with 'Beautiful', apparently it charted in 2000 at #21 before it made #10 in early 2002, were they different versions?

This post has been edited by Big Hiss Machine: Sep 12 2017, 11:07 AM

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Sep 12 2017, 07:25 PM
Post #20
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

What did you have for your tea this evening?

“Such A Feeling” by Bizarre Inc and “Such A Good Feeling” by Brothers In Rhythm charted consecutively in the UK Top 40 at #13 and #14 (respectively) on 29 September 1991, but which is better?

Best film you've seen?

I DJ'd at a nineties party I organised in my mates field: what 3 tracks would you play that people may not have heard (but will love)?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 08:24 AM