BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What advice would you give new members coming here?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Agent Cody Banks
post Sep 11 2017, 05:29 PM
Post #1
Now I think about you every single time I eat pizza
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

With the new AF shake-up and a fairly large migration from the now defunct DenDen forums, we've gotten a ton of new members, and maybe you think some of them have potential to make it big across the site. So I wanted to ask you guys: what kind of advice would you give the new members coming on here, either for the first time or from other sites?

My piece of advice would be to try to find your niche to help yourself feel more comfortable in the site. I recognize that this site is full of huge personalities and it gets a little crazy, and if you get too overambitious you're more likely to be overwhelmed. However, we're all one giant family, and we're very welcoming for the most part, and you're very likely to find a group of people with the same interests, whether it be the charts or your favorite artists.

At the same time, don't be afraid to be bold. Standing out works.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post Sep 11 2017, 05:36 PM
Post #2
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

As cheesy as it sounds, just be yourself. I'd say we are a very welcoming community that accepts everyone's quirks. Also get involved with as many threads that you feel you can contribute something to (aka not spamming for the sake of it) so that people will notice you. Looking forward to getting to know the new blood here heart.gif

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Sep 11 2017, 05:38 PM
Post #3
When you look back on us, would you call that love?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

Definitely find an artist forum you love, post there regularly and then start to branch out. I've stated it many a time that the sole reason I signed up to Buzzjack was The Sats forum and up until the end of 2014/early 2015, it was packed regularly as one of the best communities on the site with so many great names/posters.

Best advice for the lounge/other parts, don't worry too much about starting topics as the lounge is packed with random topics already for you to comment on laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Regina
post Sep 11 2017, 05:42 PM
Post #4
Ooga Boo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 5,572

Don't be put off by any bickering you see in other areas. Most people get on fine. And don't be scared to start a discussion, with so many people here there is bound to be someone who agrees with you and who will help get it going.

+Quote Post
HarryApa
post Sep 11 2017, 05:42 PM
Post #5
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Member No.: 20,835

My best advice would be to just be you and don't be afraid of showing your personality.

Oh, and to find places, where you feel comfortable posting in but at the same time, don't be afraid to try out other areas of the site.

+Quote Post
SPINEMATIC
post Sep 11 2017, 06:01 PM
Post #6
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

This has to be one of my favourite topics and I hope it gets a shoutout in the next monthly recognition thread heart.gif
  • Don't take everything too seriously, everyone has different tastes in humour, personality (and music obv) and there's a lot of room for misunderstanding what people say to what they really mean.
  • In relation to the above point, don't be afraid to let yourself get stuck in i.e. post loads of (non-spammy) threads and be yourself. Most people on here seem to start off perhaps a little too enthusiastic but that usually dies down after a while.
  • If you are having a hard time getting along with the majority of people at first, chances are it won't last forever. You might have a very different posting style to the rest of the gang but it could well be a case of everyone just needing time to adjust to having you around.
  • Try as best you can to get on with others. Even if you really dislike them and having next to nothing in common with them you never know you might see a post they write and have something to reply with and it could go on from there. The worst thing to do is keep things all doom and gloom and it would only make things worse.
  • Will think of more later.

This post has been edited by SouthsideSpinner: Sep 11 2017, 06:05 PM

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Sep 11 2017, 06:04 PM
Post #7
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Agree with Jade, contribute to discussions but, importantly, don't post just for the sake of it.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Sep 11 2017, 07:27 PM
Post #8
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

The biggest bit of advice I can think of is don't be put off by the big personalities or by a fear of not being able to fit in with them. Most of the people here started in one of the Artist Forums and branched out when they felt really comfortable with the site. That's a great path if you're a bit anxious or worried about fitting in or dealing with some of the big personalities that you see across the board.

The past year, more so than in a long time, I've really felt a strong sense of community on the site. In the lounge especially. We try to make things welcome and opening to newcomers so that they feel comfortable posting and starting discussions.

One of our Global Moderators started out as an infamous My Little Pony fan, we're a truly accepting bunch!!! laugh.gif

As everyone has been saying, be yourself and the community will accept you for that and take you in. Don't be worried if it takes you a while to (or don't at all) warm to certain posters who look popular or a big part of the community. Not everyone gets along and that's totally fine! There's also quite a few people, myself included, who tend to have a posting style that it can take a while to get and that's also totally fine! Nobody is gonna be hurt or offended by that.

This site has been part of my life for over a decade and I hope that people joining have as good an experience as I have had over the years.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Sep 11 2017, 07:38 PM
Post #9
If you believe, they put a man on the moon
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Act your charming self
Respect other people's taste in media (movies, TV shows, music)
Don't start flame wars
Have fun

+Quote Post
Good Old Days
post Sep 11 2017, 07:43 PM
Post #10
YVA # 1 fan
Member No.: 28,104
   No Gallery Pics

Best places for newcomers : AF of your favourites, Genres sections (Pop, Indie e.t.с) and Personal charts.

+Quote Post
Mack'sXmasSack
post Sep 11 2017, 09:22 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Be yourself and don't be afraid to generate conversation.

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Sep 12 2017, 11:30 AM
Post #12
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Sep 11 2017, 08:27 PM) *
The past year, more so than in a long time, I've really felt a strong sense of community on the site. In the lounge especially. We try to make things welcome and opening to newcomers so that they feel comfortable posting and starting discussions.

One of our Global Moderators started out as an infamous My Little Pony fan, we're a truly accepting bunch!!! laugh.gif

As everyone has been saying, be yourself and the community will accept you for that and take you in. Don't be worried if it takes you a while to (or don't at all) warm to certain posters who look popular or a big part of the community. Not everyone gets along and that's totally fine! There's also quite a few people, myself included, who tend to have a posting style that it can take a while to get and that's also totally fine! Nobody is gonna be hurt or offended by that.

Aye, and what I can give from that experience is that despite a rather major social fauxpas (in a time when the site was far less forgiving as well), I recovered, so don't worry, you won't mess up as bad as me and you'll be okay if you do.

I just continued on trying to contribute and slowly became friends with more and more posters until I, er... had the near enough the entire site under my thumb. Do what you're comfortable with, be friendly and understanding, and you'll fit in anywhere.

+Quote Post
Jupiteer
post Sep 12 2017, 11:44 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Don't take it too seriously.

Just jump in.

If you're clashing with someone...I think that's okay. Some people just don't get on. Don't feel like everybody is against you or like you have to leave or anything. At the end of the day it is just a forum at its bare bones.

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Sep 12 2017, 12:40 PM
Post #14
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Also, as long as you're cool about it, talk about your interests, even if it seems like no one else is into that niche. You never know what sort of new friendships you could start with a shared interest.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Sep 12 2017, 05:43 PM
Post #15
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Be yourself and don't obsess if you're not popular straight away. Certainly don't start being rude towards members as a way to make yourself stand out.

+Quote Post
breezyspice
post Sep 12 2017, 08:10 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 39,572
   No Gallery Pics

Awh, you lot are the sweetest.

It IS super intimidating coming to a community that already knows each other and gets on, you feel like an outsider and everyone is just staring at you, or ignoring you completely.

These are all great pieces advice - I'm happy to be here!

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Sep 15 2017, 07:00 PM
Post #17
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Member No.: 67

Just remember that we are all nonsensical hot messes. We just have been showcasing it on here longer.

Also, don't engage in an argument/ discussion with Summertoots/ Michael. You're literally better off just trying to show your perspective to a persimmon (a winter fruit ps).

Remember that things can read in assumed tones which can ignite heated arguments. Remember that understanding an opinion that differs from yours can only broaden your knowledge on a topic. Always be respectful of your peers and remember everyone has a life that has shaped who they are. But, if someone is rude to you or swerves into your lane , don't be afraid to cut a bitch off. This ain't a carpool.

#buygloryonitunes

+Quote Post
commonsense
post Sep 17 2017, 09:18 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(breezyspice @ Sep 12 2017, 09:10 PM) *
Awh, you lot are the sweetest.

It IS super intimidating coming to a community that already knows each other and gets on, you feel like an outsider and everyone is just staring at you, or ignoring you completely.

These are all great pieces advice - I'm happy to be here!

Welcome to Buzzjack. I'm one of the quieter, unassuming, lesser known members here. smile.gif

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Sep 17 2017, 02:31 PM
Post #19
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Don't lock yourself away in an artist forum - go post in anything you have an interest in. Try to offer an opinion or an interesting comment if you can, often posts like 'I really like this' etc will not get a response. It doesn't mean that people aren't reading them or even agreeing, it just means there is little else people can add to it.

Join in with the quizzes etc as they offer a harmless route into the community.

Also, remember to actively look for the best in everyone else in situations.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 07:39 PM