BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paris and Los Angeles to host 2024 & 2028 Summer Olympics
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Riser
post Sep 14 2017, 03:25 AM
Post #1
King of nothing at all
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

Olympic Games: Paris & LA to host 2024 & 2028 respectively

Paris and Los Angeles have been named as hosts of the 2024 and 2028 summer Games respectively by the International Olympic Committee.

Both cities had wanted to host the 2024 event, before LA agreed to wait an extra four years after the IOC made guarantees on funding.

The Paris Games, which had fallen short with bids for 2008 and 2012, will mark 100 years since it was last held in the French capital.

Los Angeles hosted it in 1932 and 1984.

Paris and Los Angeles had been the only two candidates for the 2024 Games after Hamburg, Rome and Budapest withdrew from the race.

The IOC voted in June to award the 2028 Games at the same time as 2024.

The Californian city wanted the earlier Games because of its readiness to host while Paris said its prospective site for the Games would not be available for redevelopment after 2024.

IOC President Thomas Bach said the votes for both cities were "unanimous".
Read more: http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/41259992

Anyone else interested in following when future Olympic host cities are announced? I'm surprised it's been (or will be) a whole century since Paris last hosted. I also thought (and sort of hoped) the US bids would continue to be overlooked, but the three withdrawals must have worked in LA's favor.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Sep 14 2017, 06:05 AM
Post #2
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I think it's funny and completely in line with everything the IOC stands for that the cities got the opposite date to the ones they actually wanted

+Quote Post
Mack'sXmasSack
post Sep 14 2017, 07:42 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

I still think it is daft that Beijing will host the 2022 Winter Olympics.

It's great to see Paris host an Olympic Games after many 'failed' bids.

If you are looking at the 2026 Winter Olympics, these are the cities who could be bidding:

Calgary, Canada
Innsbruck, Austria
Lillehammer, Norway
Sion, Switzerland

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Sep 14 2017, 02:49 PM
Post #4
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

100 years since Paris hosted, that's nice and fitting. Good division of continents with what should both be reliable hosts.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Sep 14 2017, 03:39 PM
Post #5
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Well I clearly need to make a date to go to Paris for 2024, that's the closest it'll get to being on my doorstep after London!

Certainly will be two great shows from them both.

+Quote Post
THEO.
post Sep 14 2017, 04:04 PM
Post #6
IDGAF
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 8,661

I'm a little bit disappointed that we're not getting another brand new host city but obviously after the unsure nature leading up to Rio, it's understandable that they've chosen two Olympics-ready cities. I definitely have to visit Paris though, I didn't attend any events in London (apart from open water swimming) but I'd love to be in the audience for one of the main sports there!

I hope Budapest go back into the bidding, when I was in the city earlier in the year they had some lovely infographics up about Hungary's history in the Games and I only learned after reading it all that they'd withdrawn laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Sep 14 2017, 05:46 PM
Post #7
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

QUOTE(THEO. @ Sep 14 2017, 05:04 PM) *
I'm a little bit disappointed that we're not getting another brand new host city but obviously after the unsure nature leading up to Rio, it's understandable that they've chosen two Olympics-ready cities. I definitely have to visit Paris though, I didn't attend any events in London (apart from open water swimming) but I'd love to be in the audience for one of the main sports there!

I hope Budapest go back into the bidding, when I was in the city earlier in the year they had some lovely infographics up about Hungary's history in the Games and I only learned after reading it all that they'd withdrawn laugh.gif

Don't think that's much of the problem really, lots of cities don't want to host because the costs spiral out of control if you do not already have a lot of the infrastructure in place. Whilst it's great to see the games truly worldwide and in new cities, lots of cities cannot afford to host the games without mass government funding. I think that's the reason everyone dropped out of this race.

+Quote Post
Mack'sXmasSack
post Sep 15 2017, 07:51 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Again there were quite a few host cities that did drop out such as Hamburg, Budapest and Rome. Would be good although unlikely if the Olympics took place just one country but with venues around the country could work instead of venues around one area for future Games if money costs continue to spiral.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 07:40 PM