BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hi-Ho Hi-Ho It's off to work I go.....UPDATE 18/10
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
commonsense
post Sep 17 2017, 08:50 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

I cannot believe it. After not working for 39 years due to depression and being on sickness benefits I've had an assessment and THE DWP HAS FOUND ME FIT FOR WORK!! mad.gif I have to go to the Job Centre and meet a job advisor on Thursday and attend a back-to-work workshop, do CV's etc and apply for jobs or get sanctioned. mad.gif Haven't been near a JC for decades and my CV will fit on the back of a postage stamp! biggrin.gif I'll only get paid for a year now then it becomes means-tested and will then get nothing as wife earns too much and have substantial savings that I inherited from my mum. Wife says she won't pay food and bills too as I do now as she pays a mortgage. So I'll have to use my savings until I get state pension at 66, another 8 years. sad.gif

Those evil Tories. Am going to appeal, Mandatory Reconsideration first where they just look at your case again, which fails in 87% of cases, then a Judicial appeal. Have emailed my MP to see if he can help me at all as I really am still not fit for work. My GP wants 40 for a letter to help with my appeal. They have made a huge mistake and I'm going to fight them all the way to get back in the Full Support group where I belong. My world is collapsing around me as I speak. Only my little dog is keeping me going.

This post has been edited by commonsense: Yesterday, 03:02 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Calcified Froot
post Sep 17 2017, 08:59 AM
Post #2
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Might being in work possibly help your depression?

Clearly not being in work isn't helping, if you've suffered 39 years of it. Depression doesn't have to be with you forever and being in that work structure might help you finally get out of it.

+Quote Post
ᴄᴀɴɴɪʙᴀʟɪɴᴅs.
post Sep 17 2017, 11:17 AM
Post #3
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Getting a job will probably be good for you tbh, getting out the house more and having some kind of purpose can never be bad thing imo, who knows, maybe you'll get into a career you actually enjoy and want to get up and go to.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Sep 17 2017, 11:56 AM
Post #4
Just another burden on the welfare state
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Good luck Chris! You never know, you might find something you enjoy!

+Quote Post
Sonia Fowler
post Sep 17 2017, 12:06 PM
Post #5
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,835

Best of luck commonsense!

+Quote Post
WitchHaus
post Sep 17 2017, 12:06 PM
Post #6
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

If they've found you 'fit for work' surely that's a good thing? unsure.gif I get really down the in the dumps when I have a week off work so yeah I agree, getting into work will do you a world of good. Good luck smile.gif

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Sep 17 2017, 12:12 PM
Post #7
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

What kind of work interests you Chris? As others have said you could look at this as a positive change, something to get you of the house and mixing with other people which will ultimately help with your depression and mean you are less isolated.

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Sep 17 2017, 12:19 PM
Post #8
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

Just work like any other, lazy bitch

+Quote Post
dandyman* 🐝🐝
post Sep 17 2017, 12:23 PM
Post #9
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Sep 17 2017, 01:12 PM) *
What kind of work interests you Chris? As others have said you could look at this as a positive change, something to get you of the house and mixing with other people which will ultimately help with your depression and mean you are less isolated.

Indeed, it's a real chance to find a different purpose and maybe even a new social group. Go for it Chris and see what you can get, you are lucky that you have savings in the bank and thus can be comparatively choosey if you try something and don't like it.

edit: And also I do understand why this situation could be really scary for you as it is a big change and even small changes can sometimes be scary - but it really could be a fantastic chance so don't rule it out... although I must admit I did laugh that you had started a thread about going to work only for it to actually be about what you're planning on doing to not go! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by dandy*: Sep 17 2017, 12:28 PM

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post Sep 17 2017, 12:24 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(*Tim @ Sep 17 2017, 01:19 PM) *

This tbh. There's many others suffering yet work full time. All the best.

+Quote Post
Spun's Labyrinth
post Sep 17 2017, 12:42 PM
Post #11
ayyy lmao
Member No.: 21,005

Id say give a job a go Chris. Changing up your lifestyle can indeed do wonders with your depression and youll have more to do therefore having less time to think about being depressed.

Of course it has to be a job you enjoy doing!

+Quote Post
Skeleton💀Wardy
post Sep 17 2017, 01:00 PM
Post #12
The Navigator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

You could always try working from home doing something which requires little effort? How good are you with computers? Could you start up an eBay business of some sort? huh.gif

This post has been edited by ⓐⓦⓐⓡⓓⓘⓝⓐⓡⓨ: Sep 17 2017, 01:00 PM

+Quote Post
commonsense
post Sep 17 2017, 01:48 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Sep 17 2017, 12:56 PM) *
Good luck Chris! You never know, you might find something you enjoy!

You all seem to have missed my point. I knew I'd get no sympathy here, unlike on disability forums and Facebook ESA groups where I've had lots. I am still unfit for work as I'll tell the JC guy on Thursday. Have heard if I say I'm appealing the DWP decision they may not ask me to do much until it's decided at Tribunal which is a court and their decision is binding. If I thought I could hold a job down I wouldn't bother appealing and would try one. Who will employ me after so long anyway? Would be a big risk for them? My GP says I'm unfit for work but this stupid Tory Work Capability Assessment is failing genuine claimants like me. They don't take notice of Dr's even now. Some people found fit for work have even committed suicide. Labour say they'll abolish it and put the onus back on GP's.

QUOTE(cqmerqn @ Sep 17 2017, 01:24 PM) *
This tbh. There's many others suffering yet work full time. All the best.

Depression affects everyone differently. Some people can hold down a job and some can't. I thought my face-to-face with a mental health nurse went okay and had it recorded but for some reason which I've yet to find out when I get my copy of his report, they've decided from what he's said to them that I'm fit for work. If he's lied I have proof on tape to fight it at appeal with.

QUOTE(HausofSZA @ Sep 17 2017, 01:06 PM) *
If they've found you 'fit for work' surely that's a good thing? unsure.gif I get really down the in the dumps when I have a week off work so yeah I agree, getting into work will do you a world of good. Good luck smile.gif

No it's a travesty when I'm still unfit for work and they've got it wrong and made a huge mistake. It's happening every day but I'll fight it all the way.

This post has been edited by commonsense: Sep 17 2017, 01:54 PM

+Quote Post
jessie j
post Sep 17 2017, 01:55 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

Are you being serious? Depression isn't just a lack of motivation... it's a mental illness which can prevent you from being able to 'just work'.

+Quote Post
commonsense
post Sep 17 2017, 01:57 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(mdh @ Sep 17 2017, 02:55 PM) *
Are you being serious? Depression isn't just a lack of motivation... it's a mental illness which can prevent you from being able to 'just work'.

Yes, some days I can't even get out of bed and this has made me even worse. I can have a reasonable day and a very bad day. So what happens on one of the latter if I don't go to work? No employer will stand for that.

mad.gif Shut up and educate yourself about depression and how debilitating it can be. Wouldn't wish it on you or my worst enemy. Some people still think that if you're not in a wheelchair you're not ill. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
dandyman* 🐝🐝
post Sep 17 2017, 02:05 PM
Post #16
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Chris there is a 36 page mental health discussion thread just a few down from this thread, I think you're being harsh in saying the people here don't tolerate such things well.

All most people are trying to do is push some of the positives of work to make it seem less daunting for you, especially as you implied you were being forced into going.

This post has been edited by dandy*: Sep 17 2017, 02:08 PM

+Quote Post
Calcified Froot
post Sep 17 2017, 02:24 PM
Post #17
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

It's just that, after 39 years, not working is clearly not doing anything to help your depression and I'm sure you don't want to continue living your life depressed.

We're just helping to show some of the benefits of working and, if you give it a try and push yourself to get out of your current situation, you may enjoy it and it can benefit your enjoyment of life. You have that sturcture there, new opportunities l, a new purpose and possibly new friends/new support service.

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Sep 17 2017, 04:20 PM
Post #18
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

QUOTE(mdh @ Sep 17 2017, 01:55 PM) *

He got cleared for work
He has been in the same environment for lots of years, time for a change
He has states on multiple occasions that he doesn't even want a job

Also I know exactly depression is, you don't know me,thank you very much,

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Sep 17 2017, 04:27 PM
Post #19
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think anyone here is being flippant about Chris' illness, merely suggesting that it may be worth giving things a go and seeing how it works out. If it doesn't, fair enough - you tried. But you never know, find a part-time job or some occasional work that interests you and there could be an awful lot of positives to take away from this forced change to your life.

+Quote Post
jessie j
post Sep 17 2017, 04:27 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(*Tim @ Sep 17 2017, 05:20 PM) *
He got cleared for work
He has been in the same environment for lots of years, time for a change
He has states on multiple occasions that he doesn't even want a job

I suppose so, but if he doesn't feel as if he's mentally strong enough to get a job then I don't think he should have to. It's down to how HE feels at the end of the day, not what some doctor thinks he feels.

It'd be best if you did try for a job for a change of scenery btw, even if it isn't full time - I'm sure in the right environment it could do you a lot of good.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: Suedehead2

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 09:36 PM