BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Moving Out For The First Time, help & advice?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
T H I N G
post Sep 17 2017, 07:50 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9,403

Okay SO this is a thread I think might be useful especially since we have quite a young member base who will all have to go through this at some, and yes it is completely self-serving as well because it's something I'm about to go through!

I think we're all aware of the year I've had and because of those circumstances, I'm now in the position where I need to move out in less than a month and a half. Having never moved away from my mum I'm going out in the world property-wise for the first time at 24 and I'm pretty stumped on where to begin. I've organised a decent amount of funds for furniture etc. but I keep thinking I'm going to forget something, and if I'm going to be putting the money into a new place I'd like to get stuff I'd be happy to have. I'd like to know about other people's experiences when they had to move out properly and get their own place.

What did you do when you moved out for the first time? What does someone need to do it? Where is the best place to get decent furniture on a budget? What's the best way to go about it? Where do you start?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lot🎈IT🎈a
post Sep 17 2017, 07:56 PM
Post #2
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

use online pages, literally so many people give away stuff on fb pages set up for local areas now!!!! maybe start taking note what you are using daily and be like will I have this with me ready for when I move????

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Sep 17 2017, 07:58 PM
Post #3
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

Well I've moved out (to uni) and moved back in, but I am going through the process now of buying little things - cutlery, bedding, sheets, towels etc. etc. whenever I spot a great deal.

I guess it depends really on what you need? Certainly I would recommend Groupon - you can pick up some great deals on there for lots of household items. If you can survive Ikea then that's always a great place to look for some furniture. I've not used it myself, but people swear by eBay for sofas. Check Gumtree, Facebook Market place - usually people will shift old furniture which they can't be bothered to take away (cos they have got new ones) for free or a fraction of the price.

My best advice would be to not panic - I know that probably sounds daft, but get the essentials first, then look to get other items once you're moved in.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
Post #4
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Aside from living in America for a year, I lived at home until earlier this year when I bought my flat. I got lucky that the previous owners left everything they had in the house, so I didn't need to buy furniture and fittings etc straight away (although there were things that I had to buy promptly, like a cooker, as the one that had been left there was 30 years old). Charity shops are a good place to start for furniture if you're on a budget, especially if you go to ones in more affluent areas you can pick up a real bargain.

The one thing I really should have done when I moved in was to transfer all my accounts, such as bank, car insurance, car tax addresses over to my new address. There was a few that I'd forgot to do straight away, which caused a few issues down the line. And when I moved in, there were a few things I needed to sort out straight away - electricity, gas, TV licence, internet & phone were the big ones. And then there's the things that you overlook that come back to haunt you - I was in the house for three months before I realised that I had to pay rates (the NI equivalent of council tax), which buggered up my budgets for the next few months whilst I adjusted to having to pay for it.

+Quote Post
SeanmanjiGrey
Post #5
Pleased to meet you barbershop quartet.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

When I first moved out, I was moving to uni. I remember there being a useful list on thestudentroom of essentials on what to buy. Regardless if moving to uni/or just into a new place, it will be a great checklist to ensure you remember all the little things! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post Sep 17 2017, 08:07 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

I'm moving out as soon as I reach 18 lol

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Sep 17 2017, 09:07 PM
Post #7
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

After uni, I always rented in share houses for a couple of years so didn't need to worry much for furniture. I started renting a partly furnished flat jus before I turned 26 and then bought a house almost exactly a year ago (23rd of this month).

I've been pretty lucky with a lot of furniture-bookcases, tables and a spare bed I was able to get from relatives that didn't want them anymore and I'd advise to do that as much as possible. You may not like the furniture but it will do until you can afford to get things you like. I was really lucky that prospective neighbours that had bought a show home wanted to sell the brand new sofas that came with it so I got those for a really good deal. This all meant I could spend the money I'd saved on things like a washing machine and a tv.

+Quote Post
ᴄᴀɴɴɪʙᴀʟɪɴᴅs.
post Sep 17 2017, 09:33 PM
Post #8
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

When I moved out I was so f***ing clueless about almost everything, I really had to rely on my dad to help me, so my first point of advice would be to make sure you've got someone you can drag around flat viewings and into letting agents that knows how it all works if you're anything like I was :')

I was lucky in that my flat was furnished when I moved in, albeit it was literally the bare essentials so I only really had to add to it. I'd recommend looking at furnished or partly furnished ones if you can so that you do have a starting point, unless you've already got a place? ohmy.gif Most of my own stuff came as hand downs from family or just from looking at online sales etc. I think I got most of my home stuff from B&M and Home Bargains, things like bedding, cutlery, mugs, curtains etc. I remember getting my microwave, plates, toaster, duvet, pillows and stuff from Asda though, a lot of supermarkets have a sort of "student essentials" seasonal aisle around this time of year where they put all of that stuff on sale which is so handy when you're not even sure what you need. It helped me thinking about things by room but honestly half the time you don't realise what you're missing until you need it laugh.gif Charity shops are also a good shout too, you can get some really decent things there that are perfectly fine or wouldn't take much work to get it up to scratch. My friend recently just bought this random box thing from a charity shop and attached some legs to it and turned it into a desk with storage so you can get creative I guess wink.gif

It's scary as hell doing this but it is also pretty fun when it comes to making it your own, if you need an extra pair of hands or whatever feel free to give me a shout tbh angel.gif

+Quote Post
Spun's Labyrinth
post Sep 18 2017, 12:18 AM
Post #9
ayyy lmao
Member No.: 21,005

I’m considering gtfoing to my own place some time next year also. I’m hesitant because although I can technically afford it now with savings it won’t last forever without a steady income through a job and tbh I don’t really need to move out just yet, it just gets really tense sometimes... :| at least for my first time it would be within my home town where I know the place, can go back to my old house should I need or want to and I guess a shared flat would overall be the better decision but flat mates can easily differ from being considerate or I’m your face. Even I don’t think I’d last very long living alone, my depression would get worse and more frequent, my health would drop a lot and more.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Sep 18 2017, 01:03 AM
Post #10
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Wilko is honestly a LIFESAVER, you can't go wrong with B&M or Home Bargains or Primark's home section either, a lot of things like plates, cutlery and stuff I don't see the point of paying loads for because a plate is a plate really and then you can have money left over to go a bit better on other stuff you may need or want. As everyone's said, you often don't really realise the seemingly little things you might need, I find cooking items the worst for that. The stuff that's always there at home so you take for granted, then you go to cook a certain thing and realise you forgot to buy a cheese grater laugh.gif That's why shops like that are a life saver, you're never far from one and you can just go and get a cheap item you need when you need it if you missed it out in your bulk getting ready shop.

I definitely agree with taking someone with you, it doesn't have to be a legal genius who'll pick apart your contract or anything but your mum, or a friend who's rented a house before so they know what to look out for. Definitely do look on these Facebook pages as well, people will just want rid of a lot of stuff that has nothing wrong with it so you'll probably find some real bargains if you properly look and obviously that helps you save a lot of money compared to paying god knows how many more times in a shop, and then you've saved a fair bit that can go towards other things you couldn't find on the pages.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Sep 18 2017, 06:05 AM
Post #11
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

I first moved out a decade ago. Since then I've spent the absolute majority of my time renting furnished places. Luckily for me the flat I've bought is coming with its furniture- which is basically a table, 2 chairs and a sofa as the place is too small for anything else and the wardrobe/bed is all fitted.

If you're moving out for the first time, my advice would be:

Know if you're prepared to compromise on location or space

Do a realistic budget. Small flat for single occupancy is around £25/month in leccy. Council tax will set you back £100/month easily but you get a 25% discount for living alone. If you want internet then you have to factor in line rental unless you get Virgin Media but that requires a fibre optic cable connection direct to premise. (Not fibre to cabinet which is what BT Infinty and Sky Fibre are). Remember home contents insurance. You don't need building cover as you don't own the building. Just protect your contents

Do multiple viewings. Even if you fall in love with the first place you see. Viewing other places helps give you context and a point of comparison.

Remember Kirsty and Phil. Location location location. Consider how you're gonna get to work and do mundane shite like a big shop. If that involves public transport then check out the bus/train routes close by. If it involves a car, then you need to know about parking

British Heart Foundation have special furniture stores that sell some great stuff at reasonable prices. Check them out for a sofa.

Raid Ikea. A Billy bookcase in white costs f*** all. £12 for a narrow half height one and £18 for a wider half height (other colours are more expensive). I have 2 of each. I also have a little table by the front door I got for £7 and 2 under bed drawers from the bargain corner of Ikea Warrington for £5 each.

Cheap kitchen stuff will suffice. Plastic handled cutlery is prone to dying though, so stick with plain metal if you can. I got smart price plates when i went to uni. I still have 2 of the 4 big plates, all 4 little plates and 3 of the 4 bowls from the set. This shit can last just as long as more expensive stuff. Ikea does amazing pots and utensils. I do second Liam's shout of Wilko, that place is amazing. If you've a Clas Ohlson you can pick up some great bargains there. Same for Tiger.

If you can, take your bedding from home. Saves you buying more.

Don't cheap out on a mattress. If you've got to buy one, make sure it's suitable for your back and sleeping style. Shit mattresses can destroy your sleep quality and give you back issues so get a good one. And don't buy used if you can avoid it.

+Quote Post
SeanmanjiGrey
post Sep 18 2017, 06:56 AM
Post #12
Pleased to meet you barbershop quartet.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

Here's the list I mentioned. Obviously not every single item is essential that's for you to decide but it does outline the good basics you'll need.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university...rsity-checklist

+Quote Post
Emily Haines
post Sep 18 2017, 05:53 PM
Post #13
Gunshot Glitter™
Member No.: 10,790
   No Gallery Pics

On top of everyone's suggestions, get all your bills set up on DD so you don't have to worry about them. Also make sure you're on the electoral roll to help with your credit score.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Sep 18 2017, 08:05 PM
Post #14
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

Oh yes that's a good one!! If you're paid monthly rather than four weekly it can be a good idea to stack your bills close to payday. My bills all come out at the start of the month so by the middle of the month I have a clear idea of what in the bank account is mine to play with

+Quote Post
Emily Haines
post Sep 18 2017, 08:11 PM
Post #15
Gunshot Glitter™
Member No.: 10,790
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Sep 18 2017, 09:05 PM) *
Oh yes that's a good one!! If you're paid monthly rather than four weekly it can be a good idea to stack your bills close to payday. My bills all come out at the start of the month so by the middle of the month I have a clear idea of what in the bank account is mine to play with

Which if you're anything like me, will be about £47 laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Diane12
post Sep 19 2017, 03:23 PM
Post #16
New Entry
Member No.: 40,268
   No Gallery Pics

Source ebay, amazon and ikea for good furniture deals. Think about how long you're going to be staying in your apartment; if it's short term then don't worry about quality too much; if it's long term then look at getting some sturdy and resiliant furniture, you don't want to have to replace things and spend more money on a busted shelf for example.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 05:48 PM