BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Animated music videos-The dilemma.
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
DropzoneUK
post Sep 19 2017, 12:48 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Climber
Group: Members
Member No.: 40,955
   No Gallery Pics

What's everyone thought's on animated music video's? I've personally always been torn. There are some great examples of animation being used creatively to excellent effect over the years (Pink Floyd, Gorillaz, Eminem... Just to name a few!) and video editing/CPG capabilities have come a long way, adding new textures and styles to modern music videos. This being said sometimes when artist or bands use this animation/CPG less creatively, the music videos can end up feeling like a 'computer generated' cop-out, with the same look as every other 'Cool-abstract style', with absolutely no feeling, connection to the song or Artist interaction.

So where do you stand? If you have a favourite animation based video then post a link to it below! In fact if you have a most hated one then post that too! cool.gif

This post has been edited by DropzoneUK: Sep 19 2017, 12:49 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
breezyspice
post Sep 19 2017, 03:15 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 39,572
   No Gallery Pics

My favorite band, Volbeat, released a recent song off their new album that I really, really enjoy - it's one of the first three songs I blast when I listen to the album and I was gutted when I saw the video... I hate it...

+Quote Post
Rush
post Sep 19 2017, 06:20 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 18,564
   No Gallery Pics

I don't have an opinion on animated videos as a whole, but I love Kanye West's 'Good Morning' video:

+Quote Post
Skeleton💀Wardy
post Sep 19 2017, 06:48 AM
Post #4
The Navigator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Not sure why but this was the first one to pop into my head this morning after seeing your thread;

It's ok I guess.

+Quote Post
Dalek-xorcist32
post Sep 19 2017, 07:20 AM
Post #5
I saw it coming like the shadow on the wall
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

They're good.

Some of my favourites (in no particular order):

Radiohead - Burn The Witch
Porter Robinson & Madeon - Shelter
Most of the Gorillaz music videos
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer (mainly live-action but with some hella good stop-motion)
CHVRCHES - Bury It
Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know
Queens Of The Stone Age - Go With The Flow
Glass Animals - Season 2 Episode 3 (the animation doesn't start until like the 60th second)
Loyle Carner - Stars & Shards
a-Ha - Take On Me

+Quote Post
HowtoCookMattias
post Sep 19 2017, 07:38 AM
Post #6
boo~
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

Never been one for analyzing music videos too much, even though a lot of them just call to be analyzed lmao. For me they just kinda add another dimension to the piece of work / art, so don't really mind if it's animated or otherwise. DB Boulevard - Point of View sticks out this morning as one that I always remembered, it helps that I've always found it to be a friggin' TUNE.

In general though, I prefer music videos that seem to act as an artistic "extension" of the feeling in the song (if that makes sense), which means not necessarily needing to have a crazy storyline or lots of dancing or various other things going on.

+Quote Post
FreddyVsJupiter
post Sep 19 2017, 09:28 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Break The Ice is probably my fave. Came at a good time for Brit too as she wasn't well I believe.

Shoutout to Shelter too.

+Quote Post
Skeleton💀Wardy
post Sep 19 2017, 11:16 AM
Post #8
The Navigator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

With over 374 million views, this has to be the most viewed animated music video;

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post Sep 19 2017, 11:23 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ⓐⓦⓐⓡ^ @ Sep 19 2017, 12:16 PM) *
With over 374 million views, this has to be the most viewed animated music video

Nope, this video has over 700 million views

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Sep 19 2017, 11:32 AM
Post #10
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Shelter is my favourite music video of the last few years. How many songs encompass a meaningful and emotional sci-fi plot into 6 minutes of video?

I'm kind of naturally well disposed to animated music videos as I love animation in general, long before I ever got into anime I was a huge fan of Gorillaz, and a large part of that was their wonderful videos (El Manana and On Melancholy Hill really stand out as great ones but 19-2000 was also rather good for its abstractness and Feel Good Inc for its meaning). There's so much that you can do with animation that's harder to do with real life actors, you can draw expressions that encompass the writer's intention better than most actors could, you can insert concepts that would kill a music video's budget stone dead in live-action (those scenes in Bury It's music video with the actors levitating tons of objects, that is visually stunning and would have cost a fortune that CHVRCHES didn't have to recreate it in reality, if they'd gone for live-action, the video would be a whole lot less memorable), and if you have a good style, it looks far prettier and more memorable than the same video would look in live action. (see most of these reasons for why I prefer 2D as a whole to 3D, but that's another topic) Honestly, I don't watch 3D videos at all (I can't think of one I really liked recently), but if it's an animated video, I'll watch that over and over again.

I would never say animation's a cop-out though, it does require time, effort and skill to make, and it really increases creativity in my opinion, as your subject matter is not limited and the song's meaning can be properly evoked. When music videos are probably adding less and less to the value of a song, they should be seen as a way to enhance the song's meaning, and that can be done most effectively by animating it.

A recent example I ended up loving, my BJSC entry last month, SIAMES, had a rather great, distinctive and a bit abstract style for its animation, really capturing the darkness and hopelessness that the characters within it are running from, personified by the titular wolf. A 3D video like that for a new band would have never been able to have been made and it adds a HUGE amount of depth to the song's meaning, even now there are people debating what it all means in the video's comments.

+Quote Post
Rush
post Sep 19 2017, 03:28 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 18,564
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(cqmerqn @ Sep 19 2017, 09:23 PM) *
Nope, this video has over 700 million views
There's a few ahead of that!

1,185 million: Idina Menzel - Let It Go (Frozen Sing-Along)
1,086 million: The Gummy Bear Song
1,027 million: Pulcino Pio - El Pollito Pio
818 million: Major Lazer feat. Justin Bieber & MŲ - Cold Water (Lyric Video)
712 million: Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You (Lyric Video)

(List of the most viewed music videos here: http://kworb.net/youtube/topvideos.html)

And if you stretch the definition of music video, there's these and most likely a few more:

2,471 million: this episode of Masha And The Bear (it has background music)
1,977 million: this 54-minute video of nursery rhymes
1,249 million: another video of nursery rhymes

+Quote Post
HissingSparkler
post Sep 19 2017, 08:52 PM
Post #12
Hiss Hiss Bish.
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

There were quite a few CGI ones for dance songs from late 2001 - early 2005. It became something of a trend.

My favourite of these music videos is the one for 'The Wilderness'.

This post has been edited by Big Hiss Machine: Sep 19 2017, 08:56 PM

+Quote Post
The Cownjuring
post Sep 19 2017, 09:13 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

Echoing the love for Shelter, definitely one of the best examples of an animated music video there is tbh wub.gif

+Quote Post
DropzoneUK
post Sep 20 2017, 02:10 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Climber
   No Gallery Pics

Even if its not the most viewed the RHCP video has to be my favourite animated video...does anyone remember when Eminem had an animated cartoon series out In the late nineties?

+Quote Post
TheGhostPensmith
post Sep 20 2017, 10:29 PM
Post #15
TheGhostPensmith 👻
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

McFly's video for 'The Ballad of Paul K' was stopmotion animated. Quite a dark video actually by their usual standards too. Corin Hardy who directed Keane's first videos did this one:

+Quote Post
DANKENSTEIN
post Sep 20 2017, 10:41 PM
Post #16
Danvīci
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

the worst animated music video of all time?? quite possibly, it looks so cheap even by 2004 standards.

+Quote Post
HissingSparkler
post Sep 20 2017, 10:49 PM
Post #17
Hiss Hiss Bish.
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(danG @ Sep 20 2017, 11:41 PM) *
the worst animated music video of all time?? quite possibly, it looks so cheap even by 2004 standards.

Its not that bad. I like how she shuns him at the start, if only that continued for the rest of the video and she didn't accept the fairy flute thief as her lover.

The music video for this looks cheaper (video made in 2005). There are probably cheaper looking examples around though. Anyway, I still do like how it brought back animated dance music videos briefly though after they had gone mostly for awful over-sexualised ones.

This post has been edited by Big Hiss Machine: Sep 20 2017, 10:59 PM

+Quote Post
Spun's Labyrinth
post Sep 20 2017, 11:30 PM
Post #18
ayyy lmao
Member No.: 21,005

Oh and the Lights video reminded me of Bury It too but I cba to post it laugh.gif

This post has been edited by SouthsideSpinner: Sep 20 2017, 11:37 PM

+Quote Post
DropzoneUK
post Sep 21 2017, 03:04 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Climber
   No Gallery Pics

My god I have to say some of these are AWFUL! Some are surprisingly good though too so I guess the debate continues? my favourite/most recent animated video has to be from ENTER SHIKARI the tune is a banger too!

This post has been edited by DropzoneUK: Sep 21 2017, 03:11 PM

+Quote Post
Dalek-xorcist32
post Sep 21 2017, 03:34 PM
Post #20
I saw it coming like the shadow on the wall
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

One of the animators of the Enter Shikari video (Slipshot and There's A Price On Your Head) used to work on Ren And Stimpy

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 11:33 AM