BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Iz: Ask Me Anything, abbreviated as iAMA
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Iz~
post Sep 26 2017, 04:40 PM
Post #1
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Hey,

So, as in 48 hours I shall be leaving this country and probably the site for three months, I'm doing my 'Get To Know' now (which I've rebranded in my own thread to cause more interest, if it works and you've come into this thread because of the different title, hi, ask me a question, thanks, love you) over this evening and tomorrow. You only have that time to ask me a question!!! (unless you're late and I bump it up in December/on Indian wi-fi that I don't know exists yet)

So, yes, ask me anything that you'd like to know about me, my life, my identity, my hobbies, my interests, my past, my future. History, international politics, asiaphilia, geek stuff, ponies, anime (some of the things I'm known for, if you want ideas), anything. Don't worry about filtering it either, I won't be offended if you want to cut deep, although I know you're all sweethearts and wouldn't do that. I promise detailed and well-thought out answers, if I can, otherwise I may just drop back to 'humour'.

Go right ahead!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JosephStyles
post Sep 26 2017, 04:42 PM
Post #2
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

Has History always been your favourite subject? If not, what did you prefer at first?

+Quote Post
Poked Pumpkin🎃
post Sep 26 2017, 04:43 PM
Post #3
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Question One: favourite BuffyCharmed moment?

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Sep 26 2017, 04:50 PM
Post #4
Just another burden on the welfare state
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Favourite thing about this site?

+Quote Post
Poked Pumpkin🎃
post Sep 26 2017, 04:52 PM
Post #5
   No Gallery Pics

I can answer that for him - ME

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Sep 26 2017, 04:56 PM
Post #6
masala me

QUOTE(JosephGutierrez @ Sep 26 2017, 05:42 PM) *
Has History always been your favourite subject? If not, what did you prefer at first?

It has not! It was Maths at first. I was one of those kids who gained a reputation as the 'smart maths kid' very quickly, I think at Year 2 I was being accelerated to Year 5 maths (not that that matters all that much at that age but that was the biggest gap) and I was pretty much always a Maths year ahead. The ease of being able to wrap my head round numbers appealed when I couldn't really grasp any social cues and hated writing long answers to questions because of poor handwriting. It changed after GCSE though, I started running into concepts in Maths that didn't seem as logical and easy to grasp as I once had, and then the more human element of History began to appeal to me. Helped that I had two excellent and engaging History A-Level teachers who taught us all the techniques, would discuss current issues with us like we were adults and best of all, I had some really interesting topics that made me more aware and interested in the world around me (one of the best quotes from that time I remember is 'if a historian now was asked to explain to you the full effects of the French Revolution, he would reply "it's too soon to tell"').

QUOTE(MoistSummerFruit @ Sep 26 2017, 05:43 PM) *
Question One: favourite BuffyCharmed moment?

If you mean between us two, it would have to be the hilarious fallout of us being put together impromptu for the first Battle of the Duos and immensely bombing at it because we knew nothing about each other. Otherwise, I've never watched either show so... nah.

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Sep 26 2017, 05:03 PM
Post #7
masala me

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Sep 26 2017, 05:50 PM) *
Favourite thing about this site?

BJSC, hands down. Until I made a few friends on here, which was about a year after I joined, I think BJSC was the only thing that really kept me here, that and getting a moderator job, which as an 18-year old made me unreasonably proud, even if it was only the pop forum *shudders*.

But yes, BJSC is excellent, I've had it as about half of my sources of (non-popular) good new music for years now, the other half I send to bomb there. The aspect of competition in music really appeals to me and sometimes because I have a bit of a writer's mind I like delving into the what is essentially fan fiction about our countries that we've created. Especially the narrative of the contest, a country failing for ages then suddenly getting a big hit or even winning is beautiful to see.

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Sep 26 2017, 05:56 PM) *
It has not! It was Maths at first. I was one of those kids who gained a reputation as the 'smart maths kid' very quickly, I think at Year 2 I was being accelerated to Year 5 maths (not that that matters all that much at that age but that was the biggest gap) and I was pretty much always a Maths year ahead. The ease of being able to wrap my head round numbers appealed when I couldn't really grasp any social cues and hated writing long answers to questions because of poor handwriting. It changed after GCSE though, I started running into concepts in Maths that didn't seem as logical and easy to grasp as I once had, and then the more human element of History began to appeal to me. Helped that I had two excellent and engaging History A-Level teachers who taught us all the techniques, would discuss current issues with us like we were adults and best of all, I had some really interesting topics that made me more aware and interested in the world around me (one of the best quotes from that time I remember is 'if a historian now was asked to explain to you the full effects of the French Revolution, he would reply "it's too soon to tell"').

Oh, that and playing a ton of strategy games like (but mostly) Rome: Total War, whose faction system and map visualisation really opened me up to the political map of days gone by. Even if it wasn't that accurate I remember thinking upon pressing the end turn screen and seeing Rome, Egypt, Greece, Gaul flash by and then... 'the Dacians? who are the Dacians? Or the Seleucid Empire? I must investigate this more'. I do kind of love maps.

+Quote Post
lot🎈IT🎈a
post Sep 26 2017, 05:08 PM
Post #8
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

What are you most hoping to get out of your time in India?

+Quote Post
Good Old Days
post Sep 26 2017, 05:09 PM
Post #9
# 1 fan of Lithuanian pop music
Member No.: 28,104
   No Gallery Pics

Which Lithuanian ESC entry is your favourite ?

+Quote Post
SeanmanjiGrey
post Sep 26 2017, 05:09 PM
Post #10
Pleased to meet you barbershop quartet.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

If Buzzjack were really Game Of Thrones, who would you put into each of the houses/on the throne?

+Quote Post
Poked Pumpkin🎃
post Sep 26 2017, 05:18 PM
Post #11
   No Gallery Pics

Is Civilization the best made-for-PC game ever, or is that The Sims?

How do you play Civ and who do you play as?

+Quote Post
Poked Pumpkin🎃
post Sep 26 2017, 05:18 PM
Post #12
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Saenerys @ Sep 26 2017, 06:09 PM) *
If Buzzjack were really Game Of Thrones, who would you put into each of the houses/on the throne?

Ooh

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Sep 26 2017, 05:22 PM
Post #13
masala me

QUOTE(lotita @ Sep 26 2017, 06:08 PM) *
What are you most hoping to get out of your time in India?

Mostly the experience having lived and gotten fully immersed in another culture, I'd like it to not be my only opportunity to live and work in another country, I'd like to do this more in the future with TEFL jobs and other ways I can show my skills abroad. I've had a really big curiosity about being able to leave everything behind and jump right into living in another country, and fortunately I'm at the stage in my life where I'm able to do that. I'm prepared for culture shock and giving up things I'm used to (like easy access to the internet and my slight strategy gaming habit) but I think that'd be good for me too. And then of course I'm going out to help the community I'm being placed in and I'll come out of it having improved people's lives and have more experiences to talk to people about.

QUOTE(Good Old Days @ Sep 26 2017, 06:09 PM) *
Which Lithuanian ESC entry is your favourite ?

Worst. Eurovision. Country. Ofalltime.

Fusedmarc - Rain Of Revolution was the first time I felt compelled to root for them, that woman has some voice and the workings of a good melody behind her.

+Quote Post
SpookE
post Sep 26 2017, 05:25 PM
Post #14
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

What is your favourite dip and/or favourite thing to dip into that dip?

+Quote Post
Flatcap
post Sep 26 2017, 05:36 PM
Post #15
Witches and cats are out this month...
Member No.: 27
   No Gallery Pics

How prepared are you for this trip with the languages? There seems to be a few languages spoken in India.

Hope you have a super time Iz.

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Sep 26 2017, 05:38 PM
Post #16
masala me

QUOTE(Saenerys @ Sep 26 2017, 06:09 PM) *

A while back, I think it was in Teams 2013, I actually did a character matchup with Buzzjack members at the time, that'll be outdated now, but this is the sort of stuff I love. It's easy to do this within the hierarchy but I'd put Lotti as Daenerys, Silas would fit a Lannister, Joseph would definitely be a Stark child with Tully red hair, Chez would be a good Davos, Rooney definitely fits Stannis, Michael can take Patchface. The Tyrells, I could put Bre & Jade in there.There are some compelling similarities, although we're mostly not power-hungry maniacs.

I'm Varys in this scenario, because the idea of someone who cares about the state and only the state is a choice position to put oneself in that makes me look good.

QUOTE(MoistSummerFruit @ Sep 26 2017, 06:18 PM) *
Is Civilization the best made-for-PC game ever, or is that The Sims?

How do you play Civ and who do you play as?

f*** no at The Sims. I get bored far too easily, there aren't enough options and it just feels so... I'm playing video games to escape from my life, why do I want to simulate doing the same dull stuff I do in reality? Not that similar games aren't fun, but the Sims would need a whole host more options and variability for me to like it again.

I do really like Civilization, and I have played quite a bit of IV and V in the past, mostly V these days as I'm too cheap to get VI until it falls in price. I mostly play achievement runs, I pick a civ I haven't played as in a long while, use their unique bonuses to max out on one style of play, and then go for that victory or picking up the weird quirky achievement (like, I recently played as the Maya solely so I could nuke a city in 2012 because that's an achievement). I generally play for cultural or science as the norm, I like playing peacefully, which is why I haven't really mastered the upper difficulties yet. Again, my problem with Civ in the end is that while it's very immersive and has all the empires I like, after a short period of time it feels like you've gone through every permutation you possibly can and it isn't quite as deep as the following...

The best PC game ever though, or best publisher, has to be Paradox Interactive (I am a bit of a slave to their whims and DLC pricings because it's all so good), with my favourite game from them being Europa Universalis IV. Unlike Civ, it's rooted in history, play as any nation from 1444-1821, and it's on maps, and there are tons of 'quirky achievements' (this is achievements that you wouldn't necessarily get by just playing the game, you have to aim for them (I did a very long campaign recently as Norway, conquering every province that produces wood in the entire world, to get the achievement 'Norwegian Wood', and trust me, that is HARD HARD HARD), and they tend to have fun punny titles and unusual objectives. It's like, very deep and hard grand strategy and I love that.

+Quote Post
Iz~
post Sep 26 2017, 05:47 PM
Post #17
masala me

QUOTE(LexC @ Sep 26 2017, 06:25 PM) *
What is your favourite dip and/or favourite thing to dip into that dip?

I don't dip stuff all that often ha! I rather like sour cream and salsa for crisps, or brown sauce is a good thing but then I more often use anything that's a dip as condiments for foods like fajitas... or something else, depends what goes. I'm a very easy to please eater.

QUOTE(Flatcap @ Sep 26 2017, 06:36 PM) *
How prepared are you for this trip with the languages? There seems to be a few languages spoken in India.

Hope you have a super time Iz.

The part I'm going to speaks Marathi, although I'm assured they'll mostly speak Hindi too. Not that that helps as I can't speak Hindi. I've bought a phrasebook for Hindi (because regional language books don't tend to get produced here) that may help me get by a little, but I'm not really that prepared. I will have a counterpart (an Indian volunteer on the same program) staying with me who will speak English, so I'll have at least that.

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it.

+Quote Post
Dalek-xorcist32
post Sep 26 2017, 05:50 PM
Post #18
I saw it coming like the shadow on the wall
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Favourite movies?
Least favourite movies?
Favourite TV shows?
Least favourite TV shows?
What anime are you currently into?
Favourite bands/artists?
Least favourite bands/artists?
Any movies you're looking forward to in 2017?
Burger King or McDonalds?
Favourite Eurovision song of 2017?
Least favourite Eurovision song of 2017?
Fave/least fave songs of 2017?
Which fictional universe would you want to live in?
Which 3 fictional characters would you want to go on a road trip with?

This post has been edited by DalekTurret32: Sep 26 2017, 05:50 PM

+Quote Post
TheBattenburglar
post Sep 26 2017, 05:50 PM
Post #19
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

What was it that got you into anime in the first place?

+Quote Post
Calcified Froot
post Sep 26 2017, 05:56 PM
Post #20
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Best action you think you've taken as a global mod?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 11:29 AM