BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What can my child eat at school?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
vidcapper
post Sep 29 2017, 06:25 AM
Post #1
Paul Hyett
Group: Members
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

A school in Bradford has banned "unhealthy" foods such as sausage rolls in pupils' lunchboxes - a move which has divided opinion among parents.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41427319

It is not a school's job to act as 'food police', they are supposed to teach them Maths, English, etc.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jessie j
post Sep 29 2017, 06:46 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

This is a bit tragic. It's the parents choice at the end of the day, not the school's - they don't have any ownership over the child therefore they should have no say in what they eat.

(never used to be like this! I remember many a time when someone had took in about 5 pieces of leftover birthday cake for lunch; nobody used to care when I was in first school laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
commonsense
post Sep 29 2017, 07:02 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

It's ridiculous. Okay it's not healthy to have sausage roll or pastie or a salami stick every day but occasionally does no harm. Everything in moderation.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Sep 29 2017, 07:04 AM
Post #4
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

Plus, how does the 'ban' deal with issues like food allergies & diabetes?

+Quote Post
Spun's Labyrinth
post Sep 29 2017, 07:48 AM
Post #5
ayyy lmao
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(mdh @ Sep 29 2017, 07:46 AM) *
This is a bit tragic. It's the parents choice at the end of the day, not the school's - they don't have any ownership over the child therefore they should have no say in what they eat.

(never used to be like this! I remember many a time when someone had took in about 5 pieces of leftover birthday cake for lunch; nobody used to care when I was in first school laugh.gif)
this. Parents seem to get less and less control of their own f***ing children and itís really sad tbh sad.gif

+Quote Post
DANKENSTEIN
post Sep 29 2017, 08:45 AM
Post #6
Danvīci
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I can't say I'm surprised, the UK is turning more into a nanny state by the day. Schools should be encouraging healthy eating but confiscating food is going too far.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Sep 29 2017, 10:20 AM
Post #7
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(danG @ Sep 29 2017, 09:45 AM) *
I can't say I'm surprised, the UK is turning more into a nanny state by the day. Schools should be encouraging healthy eating but confiscating food is going too far.

The school cannot keep the confiscated food since that would be theft, so when it is handed back at the end of the day, the kids will just eat it then, making the confiscation pointless.

+Quote Post
Dalek-xorcist32
post Sep 29 2017, 02:28 PM
Post #8
I saw it coming like the shadow on the wall
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Anyone remember the boy that got suspended for having mini cheddars in his packed lunch (from 2014)

+Quote Post
Poked Pumpkin🎃
post Sep 29 2017, 02:32 PM
Post #9
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

I for once agree with Vidcapprr on something ohmy.gif

This is TOO much and takes away parental privilige.

Basically, the child belongs to the parents. They should have more authority over decisions for their family. Furthermore, BUDGET. Not all families are rich. It is like the schools that masure pupil's uniforms against an official sponsor's, which are three times the price of course. If the trousers etc are a cheaper make, they send them home!

Outrageous.

+Quote Post
Poked Pumpkin🎃
post Sep 29 2017, 02:33 PM
Post #10
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ta spin go skrra @ Sep 29 2017, 08:48 AM) *
this. Parents seem to get less and less control of their own f***ing children and itís really sad tbh sad.gif

THIS

+Quote Post
WitchHaus
post Sep 29 2017, 08:14 PM
Post #11
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

It's the school's job to keep children safe and healthy so I actually agree with this? I am a teacher so I may be coming from a different stance but we have banned unhealthy foods. If a child brings them in and it's all they have, obviously we let them eat it, but we give constant reminders to parents that they are not allowed chocolates and unhealthy snacks. It's not just a case of nanny stating, it's about looking after their physical, mental and social wellbeing and training and buildings kids for the future ~

+Quote Post
Poked Pumpkin🎃
post Sep 29 2017, 08:24 PM
Post #12
   No Gallery Pics

Like a factory?

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Sep 29 2017, 08:31 PM
Post #13
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

What's the alternative Michael? We look the other way and avoid these difficult decisions whilst obesity becomes an ever increasing problem, something that through the numerous associated illnesses will literally burden our NHS beyond repair.

+Quote Post
Poked Pumpkin🎃
post Sep 29 2017, 08:33 PM
Post #14
   No Gallery Pics

Educating about nutrition, but not forcing parents, especially those living with small budgets, usually due to the Tories, to buy what they cannot afford, or forcing them to set a lunch the school approves.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Sep 29 2017, 08:48 PM
Post #15
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Maybe teaching ALL children how to actually prepare and cook a healthy meal would help, you'd be surprised at the amount of 20-somethings who don't know where to start!

All this stuff about 'nanny state' annoys me though when diabetes is estimated to cost the NHS around £17 billion by 2035. Because people don't have the will power either the state steps in and puts in a sugar tax, or we end up paying ourselves through both a degraded quality of life for those that end up ill, and a strained NHS.

This post has been edited by Doctor Blind: Sep 29 2017, 08:48 PM

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Sep 29 2017, 09:30 PM
Post #16
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HausofSZA @ Sep 29 2017, 09:14 PM) *
It's the school's job to keep children safe and healthy so I actually agree with this? I am a teacher so I may be coming from a different stance but we have banned unhealthy foods. If a child brings them in and it's all they have, obviously we let them eat it, but we give constant reminders to parents that they are not allowed chocolates and unhealthy snacks. It's not just a case of nanny stating, it's about looking after their physical, mental and social wellbeing and training and buildings kids for the future ~

I'm kind of the same? Was a bit nervous to post until you did. Although at a secondary school, the parents often just give the kids money and it's the children themselves that buy the sweets in the morning. They buy whatever's on offer which is usually pringles which are so bad for them.

It's easy to slate schools for being 'controlling' and say that the 'poor parents' can't afford to feed their children properly but that's a whitewashing view. Firstly, this is an example of one school, most aren't doing this. Secondly, if parents aren't earning enough money, the children are probably eligible for free school meals and can eat something healthier at school. But lastly, the children's eating habits will always replicate that of their parents. They're often used to snacking at home and some don't even have a proper evening meal.

It really isn't hard or expensive to make a child a sandwich and provide a piece of fruit rather than just shoving a sausage roll and a packet of crisps in their lunch box. And please, water instead of pop.

+Quote Post
lot🎈IT🎈a
post Sep 29 2017, 09:43 PM
Post #17
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

Itís way more expensive to buy snacks and unhealthy food anyway?!

+Quote Post
Regina
post Sep 29 2017, 10:18 PM
Post #18
Ooga Boo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 5,572

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Sep 29 2017, 09:48 PM) *
Maybe teaching ALL children how to actually prepare and cook a healthy meal would help, you'd be surprised at the amount of 20-somethings who don't know where to start!

All this stuff about 'nanny state' annoys me though when diabetes is estimated to cost the NHS around £17 billion by 2035. Because people don't have the will power either the state steps in and puts in a sugar tax, or we end up paying ourselves through both a degraded quality of life for those that end up ill, and a strained NHS.

Not everypne who has diabetes gets it because of their diet. A lot of people are forced to take several insulin injections a day (often more than one kind), test their blood sugars each day and other things, none of which si their fault. A lot of things are neede for many of us to just lead a semi nornal life. Of course many people do get diabetes from poor diet etc but not everyone.

Nothing pisses me off more than when people find out I am diabetic and say "oh you had a poor diet and ate too much sugar"

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Sep 30 2017, 06:06 AM
Post #19
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Conderella @ Sep 29 2017, 03:32 PM) *
I for once agree with Vidcapprr on something ohmy.gif

I am as shocked as you are at that. laugh.gif

Seriously though, it's only my political views that seem to rub people up the wrong way. My posts in the Chart Forum seem quite well received.

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Sep 29 2017, 09:48 PM) *

Knowing how to cook isn't the end of the story though, since junk food will always be easier to make than meals you prepare from scratch.

QUOTE(lotita @ Sep 29 2017, 10:43 PM) *
Itís way more expensive to buy snacks and unhealthy food anyway?!

Perhaps, but with limited time the choice is inevitable - plus junk food tends to taste nicer. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Spun's Labyrinth
post Sep 30 2017, 08:14 AM
Post #20
ayyy lmao
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Sep 30 2017, 07:06 AM) *
I am as shocked as you are at that. laugh.gif

Seriously though, it's only my political views that seem to rub people up the wrong way. My posts in the Chart Forum seem quite well received.
Knowing how to cook isn't the end of the story though, since junk food will always be easier to make than meals you prepare from scratch.
Perhaps, but with limited time the choice is inevitable - plus junk food tends to taste nicer. wink.gif
Ējunk food is easierĒ I think the accuracy of that statement varies a lot. I was in a food and cooking course for the past few weeks and although some of the meals took 30-60 mins to make there are also ones just as short. You can say that the shop is even easier to access but thereís also healthy foods you can eat straight away at the shop too laugh.gif

Basically we just need to break ties with artificial sugar temptations ohmy.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 05:52 PM