BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brett's Scented Candles Thread
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
TheBattenburglar
post Oct 7 2017, 04:44 PM
Post #1
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I've been posting these in the monthly threads, but I thought I'd spin them out to its own thread.

So far, I've made homemade Coconut & Mango candles and Parma Violet candles. Now I thought I'd challenge myself by making a candle inspired by my favourite cake - the Battenberg. So having acquired two new dyes, essential oils for cupcake & almonds, and two batches of soy wax later, we have what are perhaps the only scented candles inspired by Battenberg -

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jo...shh! It...
post Oct 7 2017, 05:25 PM
Post #2
c:
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,692

I don't think I've commented on your new hobby yet but they've all looked absolutely brilliant so far Brett and I bet they smell just as good!

I know you weren't quite keen on selling them yet but you definitely could, they already look professional *-*

+Quote Post
lot🎈IT🎈a
post Oct 7 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #3
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

Brettís candles are amazing!! My friends have legitimately complimented it (OMG Brett I still owe u that review Iíll do it here this evening)

Can I buy a Bettenburg one

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Oct 7 2017, 06:03 PM
Post #4
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

Omg I want one

+Quote Post
TheBattenburglar
post Oct 7 2017, 08:54 PM
Post #5
Howdy, disco citizens.
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(lot🎈IT🎈a @ Oct 7 2017, 06:57 PM) *
Brettís candles are amazing!! My friends have legitimately complimented it (OMG Brett I still owe u that review Iíll do it here this evening)

Can I buy a Bettenburg one

QUOTE(Cameron @ Oct 7 2017, 07:03 PM) *
Omg I want one

Aw, thanks Lotti. I'm glad you (and others!) seem to have liked it. I've really enjoyed taking on candle making as a hobby. It's very therapeutic, plus there's a great satisfaction at making something that you can get a lot of use out of, so I'm glad that others seem to be responding well to it.

And I'd happily send out one of the new Battenberg candles to you. As I'm still in the "mad scientist" phase of making them, how about I send them out to you, and then you can pay what you like at a later stage based on what you think of them?

Also, I'm open to suggestions as to what type of scented candles you think I should make next. I've had a few requests from friends for Buckfast scented candles (which I'm not sure would work, but would be very popular in Belfast if I could work out how to perfect it!), and I'm considering doing a few Christmas-themed ones in December, like mistletoe & mulled wine, but I'm open to any suggestions of what I should attempt next.

+Quote Post
HissingSparkler
post Oct 7 2017, 08:57 PM
Post #6
Hiss Hiss Bish.
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Oct 7 2017, 09:54 PM) *
but I'm open to any suggestions of what I should attempt next.

One that smells of brayfish (or at least one that smells of the sea)! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
HissingSparkler
post Oct 7 2017, 08:58 PM
Post #7
Hiss Hiss Bish.
   No Gallery Pics

but I'm open to any suggestions of what I should attempt next.

One that smells of brayfish (or at least one that smells of the sea)?! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
lot🎈IT🎈a
post Oct 7 2017, 09:03 PM
Post #8
feminist icon

Aw, thanks Lotti. I'm glad you (and others!) seem to have liked it. I've really enjoyed taking on candle making as a hobby. It's very therapeutic, plus there's a great satisfaction at making something that you can get a lot of use out of, so I'm glad that others seem to be responding well to it.

And I'd happily send out one of the new Battenberg candles to you. As I'm still in the "mad scientist" phase of making them, how about I send them out to you, and then you can pay what you like at a later stage based on what you think of them?

Also, I'm open to suggestions as to what type of scented candles you think I should make next. I've had a few requests from friends for Buckfast scented candles (which I'm not sure would work, but would be very popular in Belfast if I could work out how to perfect it!), and I'm considering doing a few Christmas-themed ones in December, like mistletoe & mulled wine, but I'm open to any suggestions of what I should attempt next.

Omg yes pls!!!! Do u still have my address from last time? Pls let me at least pay postage tho!!!!

I think Christmas scents would be really good! Oh some feedback one of my friends gave (I asked them for feedback too) is they liked the jar and ribbon but thought twine and a kind of bead or hanging charm might also be really effective?! We reckoned with the right packaging you could sell them for £5-£6 depending on sizes etc

+Quote Post
dandyman* 🐝🐝
post Oct 7 2017, 09:04 PM
Post #9
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Battenberg candles!!!!!! Haha, that's amazing.

+Quote Post
HissingSparkler
post Oct 7 2017, 09:06 PM
Post #10
Hiss Hiss Bish.
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(lot🎈IT🎈a @ Oct 7 2017, 10:03 PM) *
Omg yes pls!!!! Do u still have my address from last time? Pls let me at least pay postage tho!!!!

I think Christmas scents would be really good! Oh some feedback one of my friends gave (I asked them for feedback too) is they liked the jar and ribbon but thought twine and a kind of bead or hanging charm might also be really effective?! We reckoned with the right packaging you could sell them for £5-£6 depending on sizes etc

What about a Cherry. candle? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dandyman* 🐝🐝
post Oct 7 2017, 09:07 PM
Post #11
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

Or clearly a cherry bakewell one would be more to theme.

(it's so bizarre that I associate myself with these now as a result of buzzjack)

+Quote Post
lot🎈IT🎈a
post Oct 7 2017, 09:10 PM
Post #12
feminist icon

You could so do cherry bake well by making it cherry jam scented, putting the colour u used for the battenbjrg marzipan in the bottom, then a lot of white then a red splodge on top biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dandyman* 🐝🐝
post Oct 7 2017, 09:13 PM
Post #13
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

I'm liking the idea of a set of 4 cake themed ones...

Battenberg
Cherry Bakewell
Bramley Apple Pie
Lemon Slice

edit: I so wanted to include a fondant fancy one but what flavour/scent would that actually be?!!!

This post has been edited by dandyman* 🐝🐝: Oct 7 2017, 09:14 PM

+Quote Post
lot🎈IT🎈a
post Oct 7 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #14
feminist icon

this Thread is making me so tempted to try make candles!!!

+Quote Post
dandyman* 🐝🐝
post Oct 7 2017, 09:15 PM
Post #15
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

How do you make them Brett? I'm kinda tempted also...

I have a salted caramel one at home at the moment and I'm not sure it works. It's nice for a while but then it makes you want sticky toffee pudding and you don't have it and no sticky toffee pudding is no life at all.

This post has been edited by dandyman* 🐝🐝: Oct 7 2017, 09:17 PM

+Quote Post
TheBattenburglar
post Oct 7 2017, 09:48 PM
Post #16
Howdy, disco citizens.
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(lot🎈IT🎈a @ Oct 7 2017, 10:10 PM) *
You could so do cherry bake well by making it cherry jam scented, putting the colour u used for the battenbjrg marzipan in the bottom, then a lot of white then a red splodge on top biggrin.gif

QUOTE(dandyman* 🐝🐝 @ Oct 7 2017, 10:13 PM) *
I'm liking the idea of a set of 4 cake themed ones...

Battenberg
Cherry Bakewell
Bramley Apple Pie
Lemon Slice
edit: I so wanted to include a fondant fancy one but what flavour/scent would that actually be?!!!

I've actually already got Cherry flavoured essential oil, so I'm already halfway there with the ingredients. Just need red dye and I could legitimately try it!

As for Fondant Fancies, how about a Buttercream flavoured essential oil, mixed in with a cake-scented oil, and you would get a close approximation of the desired effect.

QUOTE(lot🎈IT🎈a @ Oct 7 2017, 10:14 PM) *
this Thread is making me so tempted to try make candles!!!

QUOTE(dandyman* 🐝🐝 @ Oct 7 2017, 10:15 PM) *
How do you make them Brett? I'm kinda tempted also...

You should definitely try to make them at home. It's great fun. I'll try to talk through what I use for making candles. Don't take it as Gospel, as I'm sure there's other ways of doing it to mine.

Tools needed:
1 saucepan
1 Glass Bowl
1 Wooden Spoon
1 pouring jug
1 funnel
Lots & lots of pens!

Things needed for making candles:
Glass jars (you can use things you'd find around the home like jam jars or other holders, but I prefer to buy brand new empty ones as that way it's guaranteed that the glass can withstand the hot wax)
Candle Wax flakes (I use soy wax, firstly because it's organic, but mainly because it burns slower than other waxes, but go with the wax that suits you best)
Essential Oils
Pre-tabbed waxed candle wicks (you can also buy rolls of wicks and wax & tab them yourself, but I get them this way as it's handier
Candle dye
Ribbons (optional)

I can point you in the direction of where I get my supplies, but when you're making your own you'll probably know better as to what you want to do and how you go about doing it.

Now the fun part - making the candles!

1) Set out the jars and put a wick in each of them prior to starting. It's better to have this prepared beforehand as it can get messy if you try to do it later on.
2) Put some hot water in a saucepan and put in on the stove to heat up
3) Fill up a glass bowl with as much wax flakes as you intend to use for the candles.
4) Place this on top of the saucepan - the steam from the water will heat the bowl, causing the wax to melt. Stir regularly to help the wax to melt.
5) If you intend to use dye, add this in as the wax is melting, stirring regularly to ensure that it is evenly spread among the wax (not all candles need dye, my coconut & mango ones didn't use it)
6) After 10 minutes of stirring, the wax should have completely melted. Feel free to add more wax to melt down if you think you'll need more, as once it melts it can feel like you need some more due to the flakes liquifying.
7) Once the wax has fully liquified, take it off the boil and leave it to cool for a few minutes.
8) Take the wicks for your candles and dab them in the wax, then use the wax to stick them to the bottom of the glass jars (you could buy stickers to stick them to the glass, but I prefer using wax to do this - it's more natural.
9) Add in the essential oils for the scent that you're looking for for you candles. It's best to do this a few minutes after you've taken it off the boil, as if the wax is too hot the fragrance oils could evaporate off.
10)Carefully pour the wax into a pouring jug using the funnel.
11) Then using the funnel again, pour the hot wax into your jars to make the candles.
12) To ensure that your wicks stay centred as the candle sets, use two pens to hold it in place in the middle of the jar (there are candle tools you could buy instead of pens, but as I had lots of pens in the house in the first place, I thought I may as well use them!
13). Leave about 12 hours for the candles to set.
14) Once the candles have set, trim the wicks so they're a few millimetres from the tip of the candle.
15) Tie a ribbon or decoration around your candle to spruce it up a little.
16) Light, and enjoy the fruits of your labour!

+Quote Post
TheBattenburglar
post Oct 7 2017, 09:53 PM
Post #17
Howdy, disco citizens.
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(lot🎈IT🎈a @ Oct 7 2017, 10:03 PM) *

I do indeed - I'll get that out to you in the post ASAP!

And thanks for the feedback - £6 is definitely more than I thought I could get for them, and I like the idea of using beads etc for the design. I'm probably going to go crafts shopping tomorrow to get a few ideas for the new batch, which is definitely not something I would have considered doing a few months ago!

+Quote Post
dandyman* 🐝🐝
post Oct 7 2017, 10:00 PM
Post #18
Mansonette
   No Gallery Pics

If it is any help with your pricing strategy Brett, the candles I buy from little craft shops are often between £10 and £20 so I don't think £6 is particularly expensive. As well as the salted caramel one, I got a Mojito one that I love... always thought a G&T one could be good too as well as other cocktails?

Intended as a constructive comment, I'm not all that keen on the shape of the glass you're using as I think it's quite a feminine shape - I'd suggest something more neutral if you're looking to ever sell them. This is the mojito one I have and I think it's got a much more unisex and modern appeal:

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Oct 7 2017, 10:09 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

Would that come with a picture of Cliff Richard?

+Quote Post
TheBattenburglar
post Oct 7 2017, 10:09 PM
Post #20
Howdy, disco citizens.
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(dandyman* 🐝🐝 @ Oct 7 2017, 11:00 PM) *
If it is any help with your pricing strategy Brett, the candles I buy from little craft shops are often between £10 and £20 so I don't think £6 is particularly expensive. As well as the salted caramel one, I got a Mojito one that I love... always thought a G&T one could be good too as well as other cocktails?

Intended as a constructive comment, I'm not all that keen on the shape of the glass you're using as I think it's quite a feminine shape - I'd suggest something more neutral if you're looking to ever sell them. This is the mojito one I have and I think it's got a much more unisex and modern appeal:

Why does the idea of you recommending a Mojito or G&T-scented candle not surprise me? tongue.gif

The first set of candles I made (and the ones I sent to Lotti/Phil) used beanpot style jars, which I liked, but were quite expensive for the size of them. I struggled to find somewhere that sold them in bulk that would deliver to Belfast (the post and packaging was extortionate in most cases!), so I moved to a different shape altogether for the next batch, which ended up being 1/3 of the price and slightly bigger than the ones I started with. Once I get through the lot I have, I'll do another search for suitable glass jars, and try to find ones that are a little less curvaceous - I do prefer the shape of the original ones I used.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 10:50 PM