BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Harvey Weinstein - Hollywood's Dark Heart
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
TheBattenburglar
post Oct 11 2017, 05:19 PM
Post #1
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Like most people, I've been watching the recent allegations surrounding Hollywood super-producer Harvey Weinstein, getting even sicker in my stomach with every further allegation surrounding him and with every fresh victim that has come forward. The fallout began in the New York Times last week, when an investigation discovered that Weinstein had been sexually abusing women for decades and had paid multiple women off. The reaction was immediate, as more and more actresses began to come forward with their stories of abuse at Weinstein, and a further story in the New Yorker alleged that he had also raped several women.

This is a story that is going to run for quite a while, and the aftermath is going to be monumental for both Hollywood, and the media world in general. There are many people within Hollywood who could be complicit in covering up Harvey Weinstein's horrific actions, including actors such as Russell Crowe & Matt Damon, who are alleged to have helped kill a 2004 story in the New York Times that would have outed him as a serial abuser. And then there's the countless people in both Hollywood and the larger media world who were aware of Weinstein, but were either bought off or turned a blind eye to his actions. There's also the political angle, as Weinstein was a major Democratic fundraiser, heavily supporting Hilary Clinton's presidential campaign, whilst Barrack Obama's daughter worked for Weinstein's production company as an intern over the summer. And it could spark off stories about other abusers within Hollywood - last night, Terry Crews took to Twitter to claim he had been sexually assaulted last year by a major Hollywood name, so this could end up being the tip of the iceberg.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Calcified Froot
post Oct 11 2017, 06:44 PM
Post #2
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I never thought about that last point in particular detail before having pf course heard about both these events and Terry Crews. Possibly the Hollywood version of Saville (although on a much lesser scale I would hope)?

Possibly related but a key member of YouTube channel Screen Junkies (possibly the biggest movie related channel) has alsp been accused of sexual assault by various women which was hushed by their HR department.

+Quote Post
Chop-part-freak
post Oct 11 2017, 09:25 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

One would have hoped that the casting couch was a thing of the past these days, though it's been part of Hollywood for most of the 20th century - along with women having to tolerate getting groped for most of the 20th century. Re: Democrats being the "political angle" - well, only if Trump (President, and Republican leader) stops using his office to avoid court cases for the same, not to mention Ailes, and other staunch Republican powerful media types who have lost their jobs recently for similar behaviour (that would be Rupert Murdoch's company).

So, errr, anyone making political capital out of the behaviour of an individual that wasn't public knowledge would be a bit of a "plague on both your houses"....

Speculation on who may or may not have helped cover-up allegations should really wait until someone comes forward to the police with accusations of the same. That report alleges they rang as character witnesses for a report that was about to be written, and they denied knowing his tendencies. Stupid, maybe. Naive definitely in retrospect. The reporter could still have ignored them and the New York Times published them if they felt they could substantiate it. Just like the British media could have done with recently convicted celebrities who anyone would have been happy to vouch for as character witnesses - BEFORE the evidence came out.

For the record I have also been publicly groped front and rear in a busy public area (with hundreds of witnesses) by a "mime artist" in full make-up, and who for some reason stopped "performing" shortly after. Fortunately I'm not the sensitive type (in that respect), more a bit embarrassed, but many folk might have been mortified.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Oct 12 2017, 09:37 PM
Post #4
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Oct 11 2017, 06:19 PM) *
Like most people, I've been watching the recent allegations surrounding Hollywood super-producer Harvey Weinstein, getting even sicker in my stomach with every further allegation surrounding him and with every fresh victim that has come forward. The fallout began in the New York Times last week, when an investigation discovered that Weinstein had been sexually abusing women for decades and had paid multiple women off. The reaction was immediate, as more and more actresses began to come forward with their stories of abuse at Weinstein, and a further story in the New Yorker alleged that he had also raped several women.

This is a story that is going to run for quite a while, and the aftermath is going to be monumental for both Hollywood, and the media world in general. There are many people within Hollywood who could be complicit in covering up Harvey Weinstein's horrific actions, including actors such as Russell Crowe & Matt Damon, who are alleged to have helped kill a 2004 story in the New York Times that would have outed him as a serial abuser. And then there's the countless people in both Hollywood and the larger media world who were aware of Weinstein, but were either bought off or turned a blind eye to his actions. There's also the political angle, as Weinstein was a major Democratic fundraiser, heavily supporting Hilary Clinton's presidential campaign, whilst Barrack Obama's daughter worked for Weinstein's production company as an intern over the summer. And it could spark off stories about other abusers within Hollywood - last night, Terry Crews took to Twitter to claim he had been sexually assaulted last year by a major Hollywood name, so this could end up being the tip of the iceberg.

I think a lot of people knew about what went on, I am not sure actors covered it up. I guess what we have to remember is Harvey Weinstein was incredibly powerful. If somebody said something he could practically end heir career, especially when he was at his peak. From what I have read it does seem a lot of people knew, but they were afraid to speak out without any proof. It does seem he was a pretty loathed character. I think it is easy for us to pass judgement but this guy was one of the Kings of Hollywood.

I agree that this story still will have a lot of legs in it, probably quite similar to the Jimmy Saville case where there were lots of rumours but obviously we all know what happened a few years ago.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Oct 13 2017, 05:56 AM
Post #5
Paul Hyett
Group: Members
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Rooney @ Oct 12 2017, 10:37 PM) *
I think a lot of people knew about what went on, I am not sure actors covered it up. I guess what we have to remember is Harvey Weinstein was incredibly powerful. If somebody said something he could practically end heir career, especially when he was at his peak. From what I have read it does seem a lot of people knew, but they were afraid to speak out without any proof. It does seem he was a pretty loathed character. I think it is easy for us to pass judgement but this guy was one of the Kings of Hollywood.

I agree that this story still will have a lot of legs in it, probably quite similar to the Jimmy Saville case where there were lots of rumours but obviously we all know what happened a few years ago.

But unlike the Saville case, Weinstein can at least be taken to court, and if found guilty, pay for what he did.

From what I've read of him, he wouldn't go down quietly though, as arrogant denials are par for the course when serial abusers finally get caught & convicted.

+Quote Post
Chop-part-freak
post Oct 13 2017, 07:20 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

When you're young it's difficult to speak out if you know it's going to ruin your career and make you unemployable amongst those using power to their own ends. To those who know nothing of the allegations it makes you appear to be difficult or untrustworthy, so you lose again. That's how it continues.

Seth MacFarlane brought it to public attention 5 years ago to support a friend who told him of HW, in a sharp-aimed joke at an Oscars awards ceremony, though sadly it didn't immediately lead to people speaking out. Better late than never. There are lots of folk out there now trying to blame the women for lack of character. To which I say, I wonder if those saying it are all men...?

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Oct 13 2017, 08:07 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Oct 13 2017, 06:56 AM) *
But unlike the Saville case, Weinstein can at least be taken to court, and if found guilty, pay for what he did.

From what I've read of him, he wouldn't go down quietly though, as arrogant denials are par for the course when serial abusers finally get caught & convicted.

He will, of course, also be able to employ very expensive lawyers.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 11:20 AM