BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doctors may be required to ask about sexual orientation
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
vidcapper
post Oct 15 2017, 06:23 AM
Post #1
Paul Hyett
Group: Members
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/n...n-a8001086.html

Fortunately it looks like it will be optional (for now), but even the suggestion that the question be asked, seems intrusive to me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post Oct 15 2017, 08:08 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,494
   No Gallery Pics

I don't see why it really matters.

even though i'm straight, I'd not feel good about telling a doctor that

surely everyone should get the same treatment regardless

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Oct 15 2017, 08:13 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 19,585

I don't mind but I do not understand why it's necessary? Using the equality stance isn't the best angle either because everyone should be receiving the same care and treatment regardless of their orientation. There may be times where it would be necessary to ask depending on a person's visit to their GP but it's all relative to the individual.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Oct 15 2017, 10:36 AM
Post #4
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Honestly I hate how your orientation is even asked in forms for like jobs or whatever, it's always in my uni enrollment thing each year where you have to disclose your race, religion etc under the equality act or smt but surely just not asking would be more "equal"??

+Quote Post
SPINEMATIC
post Oct 15 2017, 01:32 PM
Post #5
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Lol, no one needs to know my orientation anyway. What does it matter laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Oct 15 2017, 02:14 PM
Post #6
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I don't mind saying it on forms and stuff but I just don't get why, because especially for stuff like UCAS and other uni stuff there's gonna be a lot of nervous young people who are scared about disclosing that or still haven't decided for themselves even. I know it doesn't realy matter if you just put straight if you're still closeted, but that isn't the point, it's just why does it matter? It does't affect how good you are at your uni couse or how good you'll be at a job. And I don't get how it's going to "help equality", as has been said just not asking is more eual? Why should a fuss be made if you are a minority when you just want to get a job or a uni place? As for doctors, I get that as Lewis said you have to be asked sometimes, but like the doctors will know when to ask and when to not, like if you go to see a GP because you get migraines, they aren't gonna go "ah no more dick for you x" laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Oct 15 2017, 04:50 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

once doctors know one is gay they have an extra avenue of investigation to take into account - due to symptoms that may or may not be specific to gay activities. The problem is once that's established it can go two ways: they make assumptions when there is no need and it becomes an extra area of stress to rule out, or alternatively in some cases (like a good friend) they fail to make assumptions when it is blatantly obvious they should being as the patient is on the brink of death, putting 3 months of pneumonia and worse down to being a "drama queen" and malingerer rather than actually dying.

So, it can go either way as to whether it's a useful tool for the doctors. Or whether it is useful for the patient. On balance it should be down to the patient to volunteer the information, not least because once it's on your medical record it might affect things like employment, mortgages or health insurance. In extreme cases I guess...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 02:12 AM