BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Would you like to be cryogenically frozen when you die?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Crazy Christmas
post Oct 22 2017, 10:16 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

Now this is an interesting subject. I would if I had the money. Only done in the US so far but several hundred people, men and women, are in the deep freezer already and it costs several hundred thousand dollars and an annual fee for the electricity too. One day, maybe in 1000 years time, they may be able to bring me back to life. ohmy.gif Walt Disney's the most famous person but the technology wasn't as advanced when they froze him so he may not be preserved properly.

This post has been edited by commonsense: Oct 22 2017, 10:18 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Oct 22 2017, 10:19 AM
Post #2
Hang in when the world counts you out and youíre gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Itís a REALLY interesting subject for me, itís basically time travel but itís one way and if you donít like it thereís no going back :/ youíd also have to get your loved ones to follow you and if they donít want to then itís feel like they all died all of a sudden.

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Oct 22 2017, 10:20 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Anyway, failing that I've already signed the papers to leave my body to medical research.

You can just leave your brain and they will accept any brain, even mine that doesn't really function like a normal person's as then they can research mental illness far better.

This post has been edited by commonsense: Oct 22 2017, 10:27 AM

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Oct 22 2017, 10:21 AM
Post #4

Is it really that cheap though? I mean unless those electricity bills are pretty dear.

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Oct 22 2017, 10:22 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Spun @ Oct 22 2017, 11:19 AM) *
Itís a REALLY interesting subject for me, itís basically time travel but itís one way and if you donít like it thereís no going back :/ youíd also have to get your loved ones to follow you and if they donít want to then itís feel like they all died all of a sudden.

So many people say it's a waste of money as they'll never be able to bring their brains back in to action but who knows. There was a documentary about it a few years ago, about an Englishman who'd been flown to the US after death to be frozen.

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Oct 22 2017, 10:23 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Spun @ Oct 22 2017, 11:21 AM) *
Is it really that cheap though? I mean unless those electricity bills are pretty dear.

Well have you got several hundred grand to spare? I know I haven't. Think there's two centres which do it and one's much dearer than the other, up to a million dollars but doesn't have the annual bill too.

This post has been edited by commonsense: Oct 22 2017, 10:28 AM

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Oct 22 2017, 10:30 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

By the way, they don't just sling them in a freezer like you have at home. It's a very complex procedure including some chemicals too and the body has to be frozen very slowly at a computer controlled exact temperature so no damage is done. Walt's was frozen too quickly so they think he'll be damaged.

This post has been edited by commonsense: Oct 22 2017, 10:32 AM

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Oct 22 2017, 10:30 AM
Post #8

Oh I didnít see the Ďthousandí in your OP

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Oct 22 2017, 10:57 AM
Post #9
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

No for a number of reasons.

1) I wouldn't want to be in a strange alien world where I knew nobody, had nowhere to live, and may not even be able to live within.
2) The process (as we understand it now) doesn't work - freezing the body causes extensive irreparable damage to the main organs of the body from which it would be impossible to recover.

Of course theoretically it would indeed be possible to travel forwards in time without the need for being cryogenically frozen, the danger is you'd have to orbit very close to a supermassive black hole ( a bit like in Interstellar) where due to the distortion of space-time from incalculably large gravitational forces, relative to the rest of the universe time would be travelling that much slower.

This post has been edited by Doctor Blind: Oct 22 2017, 10:59 AM

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post Oct 22 2017, 07:31 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,494
   No Gallery Pics

weirdly, the question of: how do I want to die?, is the only question i've not really thought about and planned.

It might come across as a shock (or not), depending on how you see it, but I have planned my funeral.. location, music, things I want read, food I want at the wake, etc.

you can never take these things for granted.. it could happen tomorrow.
anyway, I am a firm believer in the afterlife, so I wouldn't want to leave my body to science, or indeed be frozen

just get buried in the normal way and hope my beliefs are true

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Oct 23 2017, 08:55 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(bipolar angel @ Oct 22 2017, 08:31 PM) *
weirdly, the question of: how do I want to die?, is the only question i've not really thought about and planned.

It might come across as a shock (or not), depending on how you see it, but I have planned my funeral.. location, music, things I want read, food I want at the wake, etc.

you can never take these things for granted.. it could happen tomorrow.
anyway, I am a firm believer in the afterlife, so I wouldn't want to leave my body to science, or indeed be frozen

just get buried in the normal way and hope my beliefs are true

So you want burial and not cremation? Sorry, bit morbid I know.

This post has been edited by commonsense: Oct 23 2017, 08:56 AM

+Quote Post
vidsanta
post Oct 23 2017, 09:35 AM
Post #12
Paul Hyett
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(commonsense @ Oct 22 2017, 11:16 AM) *
Now this is an interesting subject. I would if I had the money. Only done in the US so far but several hundred people, men and women, are in the deep freezer already and it costs several hundred thousand dollars and an annual fee for the electricity too. One day, maybe in 1000 years time, they may be able to bring me back to life. ohmy.gif Walt Disney's the most famous person but the technology wasn't as advanced when they froze him so he may not be preserved properly.

If possible, I'd rather download my personality/memories/DNA sequence onto a storage disc, with the possibility of being revived by cloning...

+Quote Post
dancember
post Oct 23 2017, 09:37 AM
Post #13
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Definitely not even if I had the money. No proof it actually works.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Oct 23 2017, 01:17 PM
Post #14
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Yeah, this may seem like a cool idea on the surface but I don't think I could ever do it. Doctor Blind summed up my thoughts perfectly really. I highly doubt that this would even work, but say it did - it would be absolutely terrifying to enter a world in the future just for the sake of living. It would be so difficult to adapt to this changed world and most of the things/people you loved in present time would be gone. I suppose it would be interesting to see if Elvis re-releases were still a thing tho. x

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 08:40 PM