BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Zoella advent calendar controversy
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post Nov 15 2017, 10:20 PM
Post #1
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

hi.gif a third thread from me today but I thought I would bring this topic to BuzzJack as it's very talked about right now. The contents of British YouTuber Zoella's advent calendar have been known for a couple of months now but outrage has finally ensued now that it's hit the shops. Her 12 DAY advent calendar costs £50 to buy (well, did, I think it's now been slashed in half after the outcry) for the following products:

- a bauble
- a little packet of “Make a Wish” confetti
- a star-shaped cookie cutter
- a packet of 7 stickers
- a make-up bag/pencil case
- a “Festive Cookie” candle (130g)
- a mini bottle of “Christmas Clementine” room spray
- a pen
- a fluffy key ring
- a gingerbread man-shaped cookie cutter
- a mini notepad
- a “Cozy Christmas” candle (130g)

I would love to know what you guys think of this calendar and Zoella in general, she has a lot of influence as the queen of UK YouTube. If you had kids, would you buy this for them? Personally I think it was disgusting to retail this product at £50 when the value of the contents must have been about £20. The exploitation of young fans from these YouTubers is becoming apparent and it's not great to see. I understand that Zoella isn't exactly the one who retails her products but it's worrying that slapping her name on these things can make the price so extortionate. BLADDY CAPITALISM

(for the record I don't hate Zoella, I appreciate her helping those with anxiety like her and her vlogs often used to have a calming influence on me when I needed to chill out, but I think this backlash is fully deserved right now)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Nov 15 2017, 10:22 PM
Post #2
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

I saw an unboxing of this on youtube ages ago... heehee.gif and legit thought it was a scam. Is her range not actually pretty expensive in general? Like I wouldn't pay 50p for confetti nevermind £50

+Quote Post
Jade
post Nov 15 2017, 10:24 PM
Post #3
Mrs Brayden Smith <333

QUOTE(Cameron @ Nov 15 2017, 10:22 PM) *
I saw an unboxing of this on youtube ages ago... heehee.gif and legit thought it was a scam. Is her range not actually pretty expensive in general? Like I wouldn't pay 50p for confetti nevermind £50

Yeah same but the word seems to have only spread to the general public now! Her range is a bit more expensive than I would pay for that sort of thing but I think it has a lot more value to it that justifies the prices a bit more, with this there are identical products in here that you can get for 75p on Amazon mellow.gif

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Nov 15 2017, 10:27 PM
Post #4
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I’m sorry but a 12 day advent calendar cannot qualify as an ‘advent’ calendar. If I knew who this bitch was, I’d loathe her completely.

+Quote Post
CodyOfTheWoods
post Nov 15 2017, 10:28 PM
Post #5
it’s possible
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

First I’m gonna need a complete receipt of how much each item costs separately on average and see if it’s worth to buy the bundle at the given price. If it isn’t then I completely understand the outrage. You want people to buy a bundle if it’s more manageable and at their reservation price, let alone cheaper than what you end up paying when you get them separately.

I love being an Econ major

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Nov 15 2017, 10:53 PM
Post #6
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

Who wants an advent calendar without the chocolate wtf (or sweets if people prefer or can't eat chocolate)

+Quote Post
Lindsey 🙃
post Nov 15 2017, 10:54 PM
Post #7
low-key, no pressure, just hang with me and my weather
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I think someone did that and it came to like half the price lmao, it's ridiculous

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Nov 15 2017, 10:55 PM
Post #8
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

The only non chocolate advent calendar I would have is the Yankee Candle one (and the aldi wine one but shhh)

+Quote Post
Lindsey 🙃
post Nov 15 2017, 10:56 PM
Post #9
low-key, no pressure, just hang with me and my weather
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Get me a vodka one

+Quote Post
Jade
post Nov 15 2017, 10:58 PM
Post #10
Mrs Brayden Smith <333

The Yankee Candle one does seem good and it's half the price of the original £50 Zoella price tag! You get two small candles here and they're arguably the best products lmao

Chocolate >>>

+Quote Post
Jacob~
post Nov 15 2017, 11:00 PM
Post #11
Jacob Alan~
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

Never really watched her but the impression I got from her (she even popped up on YouTube ads at one point sleep.gif) was that she was on the worst side of YouTube- the side that just use their looks to make money from empty vapid videos. The epitome of narcissism. It doesn't surprise me that she's this out of touch with pricing/ economics.

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Nov 15 2017, 11:02 PM
Post #12
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

It’s a collection of crappy Christmas cracker gifts plus a candle.

The fact it could easily be reduced to half the price shows how much they wanted to exploit people. Anyone paying £50 for that tat needs to reconsider how they’re spending their money.

+Quote Post
Shia LeMuffQueef
post Nov 15 2017, 11:06 PM
Post #13
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

I never knew who she was, but saw the controversy on a bargain group a few days ago as people were outraged aftwe their kids wanted onr for December and they saw whatp was inside.

Absolte RIP. It got cut in price, but it should be 10 TIMES less than they were sellin it for.

+Quote Post
lotita.
post Nov 15 2017, 11:34 PM
Post #14
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

Poundland have put out a tweet showing you can get everything in their store for £13 :’)

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Nov 15 2017, 11:34 PM
Post #15
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

QUOTE(Cameron @ Nov 15 2017, 10:55 PM) *
The only non chocolate advent calendar I would have is the Yankee Candle one (and the aldi wine one but shhh)

Not the Greggs one? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Nov 15 2017, 11:38 PM
Post #16
Mrs Brayden Smith <333

Omg I was howling at the headline featuring the outcry about Greggs replacing baby Jesus with a sausage roll in theirs laugh.gif

+Quote Post
lotita.
post Nov 15 2017, 11:39 PM
Post #17
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

QUOTE(Jade @ Nov 15 2017, 11:38 PM) *
Omg I was howling at the headline featuring the outcry about Greggs replacing baby Jesus with a sausage roll in theirs laugh.gif

LMFAOOOO no!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Nov 15 2017, 11:42 PM
Post #18
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

I f***ing HATE this woman, she's so vapid, totally devoid of any charm or talent. Imagine being so pretentious you charge 3x more for Pondland tat because your name is on it laugh.gif

+Quote Post
HarryEzra
post Nov 15 2017, 11:43 PM
Post #19
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Member No.: 20,835

I don't think it's zoella's fault per say but those products are not justifying spending £50 on it so both Boots and her fault

Just saw the Poundland tweet amazing!

+Quote Post
The Snake
post Nov 15 2017, 11:44 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jade @ Nov 15 2017, 11:38 PM) *

Well I would say seriously that replacing Jesus with a sausage roll in an advert would be pretty offensive to many devout Christians tbh. Greggs were right to apologise for it.

As for the Zoella calendar yes its only her name on it that they are charging extra for. Really reminds me of the 'wine picking at Sting's estate costing £208' controversy that was in some the newspapers a while ago, although according to The Independent it was a similar price in other local estates, so maybe it wasn't an inflated price because of Sting's name after all.

Anyway Zoella's calendar should definitely be cheaper.

This post has been edited by The Diplomat: Nov 15 2017, 11:55 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 10:22 PM