BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The most drastic changes in your music taste
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
CodySleighBell-y
post Nov 20 2017, 04:35 PM
Post #1
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

So I was planning on how to bring past personal charts onto here and I looked through them and I saw that I actually liked Cruise when I was 17 puke.gif puke.gif sick.gif oh god that was tragic though to m defense I barely had anything else to chart. I don’t think I’m alone though. Were there any moments where you feel that your music taste before was tragic? Were there songs that you liked before that you can’t even stomach now? Were there songs that you despised before that you stan?

discuss
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slade
post Nov 20 2017, 04:37 PM
Post #2
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Looking through past personal charts is hilarious, I think my most WTF moment was probably having Mann, Snoop Dogg & Iyaz - 'The Mack' as a personal chart #1 lmao.

I feel like my taste used to be far more pop-leaning than it is now in general. I do still love pop acts like Lady Gaga and Little Mix for example but I'd say my taste is far broader than it used to be. A lot more alternative. Also I feel like my taste in dance music has changed a fair bit over the years. I used to love 'generic' dance, in fact my first ever BJSC potential was in that vein. So I feel like dance music gets a harder time from me now and I don't just love most dance hits out there. It probably doesn't help that chart trends have changed. 2014 commercial dance music was really strong in general for me but now I can discard a lot of it.

+Quote Post
Jack
post Nov 20 2017, 04:42 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 223

My music taste has always been flawless ofc.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Nov 20 2017, 04:54 PM
Post #4
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I put Whip My Hair as a personal chart #1, that says it all really.

I think back then I just used to like just about every chart hit but now with access to Spotify/BJSC and having a wider musical knowledge a lot of chart songs I don't really care about and many of my current faves are non-hits. Although even then I downloaded MoS and trance compilations so wasn't just listening to R1/chart music.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Nov 20 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #5
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I used to stan Rihanna in her AGLM/GGGB eras, Pink was the first ever artist I properly stanned though, before that I did what I think most of us did and just bought compilation pop albums laugh.gif It was the likes of Pink, Kelly Clarkson and Avril Lavigne with their pop-rock stuff in the early 2000s that sorta set me on the path to what I love most now so I don't think my taste has changed that much tbh as I'd still listen to all of those artists now laugh.gif

I did go through really random phases though but they'd literally last a month at most, like with JLS, Jason Derulo, Blackeyed Peas etc but that was very much a case of just liking a few songs of theirs, although I do remember buying "The E.N.D" kink.gif I did love Mika for a bit too and bought his album :')

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Nov 20 2017, 05:43 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

One of my favourite topics to mull about :3 (I've created a similar thread before too)

I'm not sure I'd call it drastic changes but my music taste has definitely developed over the years! As a kid, I was mostly into whatever I picked up on from music shows on TV etc. It would be a lot of pop hits and stuff but also, maybe somewhat surprisingly, I was a big fan of some country artists as a child! Nowadays I only really listen to that to indulge my nostalgia phases.

Rock, especially alternative rock (I do lean more towards whatever tends to be described as 'alternative' in music) came properly into the picture with stuff like Coldplay and Placebo when I was a teenager, and eventually I branched out hardcore into various forms of electronic music (Röyksopp was probably one of the major turnarounds for me in this). I would say at this moment, my taste is an amalgamation (*.*) of these various things.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Nov 20 2017, 06:14 PM
Post #7
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I've always had a flair for a lot of different genres (my iPod was random in 2006) but it was definitely firmly rooted in the charts and Capital/Heart playlists, this was back when the charts still had a fair variety of genres. As time went on, I just tended to prefer the lower top 40 peaking hits than the overplayed number 1s and eventually (BJSC helped a lot of with this I must say) looked beyond the charts which make up about 75% of my listening these days.

I do feel these days I also have more of a liking for weirder, more experimental genres, back then it was firmly alt-pop/rock bands (though a lot of which have lasted in my affections, like Coldplay, Keane, U2).

+Quote Post
mdh
post Nov 20 2017, 06:25 PM
Post #8
it doesn't matter, we're all together
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

I used to stan pop so much more than I do now, also there was a point last year where I had a tendency to like EVERY SINGLE SONG in the charts, safe to say that's changed now.

I don't like dance as much as I used to, and since the start of the year I've become so much more into indie, to the point where it takes up like 90% of my listening now.

+Quote Post
Petelehem
post Nov 20 2017, 06:52 PM
Post #9
This lunch tastes like a beat
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(mdh @ Nov 20 2017, 06:25 PM) *
there was a point last year where I had a tendency to like EVERY SINGLE SONG in the charts

...until a week later, when you suddenly hated them all heehee.gif

This post has been edited by PeteFromLeeds: Nov 20 2017, 06:52 PM

+Quote Post
Riser
post Nov 21 2017, 12:44 AM
Post #10
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

Hard to say, my taste has always been all over the place. The only really drastic change I can think of is that Pitbull went from my least favorite artist around 2012 to one of my favorite artists currently laugh.gif

QUOTE(Agent Cody Banks @ Nov 20 2017, 11:35 AM) *
I actually liked Cruise when I was 17 puke.gif puke.gif sick.gif
HAHAHA

That's funny because I actually hated it at first tongue.gif

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Nov 21 2017, 12:51 AM
Post #11
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Riser @ Nov 20 2017, 04:44 PM) *
HAHAHA

That's funny because I actually hated it at first tongue.gif
ugh senior year me was that tragic

I’m honestly embarrassed

+Quote Post
Colm
post Nov 21 2017, 09:26 AM
Post #12
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

At the end of 92 my favourite band was Erasure. I was still into dance music a lot as 92 had been a great year for dance. I was into The Prodigy, The Shamen, Utah Saints and KLF.

By the end of 93 I had fallen for REM, Tori Amos and Kate Bush.

What happened in 93 is the following - I had purchased Automatic, Out of Time, Green and Life's Rich Pageant.

Tori's Little Earthquakes blew me away. I was in tears the first time I heard Winter and China. Only had to wait 2 months for Under the Pink to be released - which was very exciting.

My introduction to Kate was a copy of The Whole Story, lent to me by my housemate in college. It was all great - apart from The Dreaming song.

94 would bring more changes - I got into Crowded House, New Order and Suede in a big way.

This post has been edited by Colm: Nov 21 2017, 05:37 PM

+Quote Post
Atonement
post Nov 21 2017, 10:07 AM
Post #13
Girl, put in work.
Member No.: 10,676
   No Gallery Pics

I used to be REALLY into country music from about late 2010-2013. It all started by being incredibly bored with chart music (everything sounded the same during those years) so I started looking elsewhere I guess. Went to Lucinda Williams, Emmylou Harris and Ryan Adams concerts and everything. I still like country music, but I feel like I have discovered everything there was to discover in that genre. I rarely listen to it anymore, even to new stuff by those artists, so it really feels like a distant period in my life (musically).

Now I'm back to pop/dance/hip-hop.

+Quote Post
SantaDalek32
post Nov 21 2017, 03:06 PM
Post #14
If you believe, they put a man on the moon
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Suddenly changing from "EDM from the likes of Spinnin' TV" to "indie/alternative" back in late 2015/early 2016.

We all had times where our past personal charts had WTF moments. Heck, my first ever personal chart had All About That Bass at #9. And another past personal chart had Watch Me in the Top 40 (#31).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 03:10 PM