BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What songs are Christmas to you?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
JingleBellJupes
post Nov 24 2017, 10:42 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

So my reason for asking is partly because this forum has quite a young user base on average and also inspired by all the new Christmas music coming out every year from the likes of Leona, Ariana and now Sia, as well as so many artists' Christmas cover albums of old standards. There's a lot of old classic songs I associate with Christmas time, but I'm wondering if some of them are less popular nowadays or have made way for newer songs. So many of the first Christmas songs I think of (Slade, Wizzard, Shakin Stevens, Wham and so on) are actually quite old now (30-40-plus years old!), and Mariah is starting to peak higher than classics like Fairytale of New York in the Christmas charts, which suggests a shift in tastes overall. Also, there's a lot of songs that were only ever big in the UK or the US, and we're starting to see maybe more US influence now thanks to the globalised world and the internet.

So. With all that in mind, what do you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slade
post Nov 24 2017, 02:11 PM
Post #2
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

This is interesting to think about. I feel like each generation will have their crop of Christmas songs (Michael Bublé and Mariah Carey seem to be the king and queen of Christmas for the current generation) and some of those that were once big eventually fall to the wayside a bit. The biggest example I can think of, for me personally, is 'White Christmas' by Bing Crosby. That song was HUGE and I'm sure is still pretty well known, but I feel like I barely hear it at all these days compared to Mariah, The Pogues, Slade, Wizzard, Wham! etc. That is one of the 'classics' that doesn't give me much of a fuzzy festive feeling as I didn't really hear it all that much during my childhood. My favourite Christmas song is the John Lennon & Yoko Ono classic 'Happy Christmas (War Is Over)' but I feel like that's not really thought of as one of the major Christmas big hitters any more like the examples you mention in the OP. I don't think it has re-entered the top 40 for 10 years now unless I'm forgetting a year, for example. As for modern songs, I feel like I have latched onto 'One More Sleep' by Leona and 'Christmas Lights' by Coldplay but the likes of 'Underneath The Tree' and 'Santa Tell Me' haven't really become Christmas staples for me yet.

Bo Selecta - 'Proper Crimbo' renaissance to happen plz

+Quote Post
ChristmasEve201
post Nov 25 2017, 08:29 AM
Post #3
Shakin Stevens
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,138
   No Gallery Pics

This will inevitably happen but I think the chart now reflects popular trends/artists so Michael Buble/Mariah do so well but then again you have artists like Elton doing very well with Step into Christmas last year!

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Nov 25 2017, 08:39 AM
Post #4
Feliz Navidadbod
Member No.: 19,585

The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping is my ultimate Christmas song

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Nov 25 2017, 09:00 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(lewistgreen @ Nov 25 2017, 08:39 AM) *
The Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping is my ultimate Christmas song

Yep, great song. Should have been a huge hit.

For me, the oldies. Slade, Wham, Band Aid, Wizzard etc and songs from Phil Spector's Christmas Album

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 11:37 PM