BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ninjabait's Album Roulette, A New Game
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Ninjabait
post Nov 26 2017, 04:54 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Regular
Group: Members
Member No.: 22,088
   No Gallery Pics

Hello, all! With the semester at my school winding down and Christmas Break fast approaching, I'm going to have a little bit more free time on my hands. And what better way to spend that time than discovering new music? So I'm bringing a game I found on another forum over here.

This game is called "Roulette", and how it works is pretty simple. The first 8 people who post saying they are in will be the contestants. There will be 7 rounds, some of which will have themes (more on that in a minute). Each round, one person will be illiminated. The person who sent the strongest album will also be given immunity until the end of the next round, until there are only four people left. I'll post my thoughts and rating for each album at the end of the round. Since this game is about music discovery, there is an extensive ban list, which will be posted below. The album should (but doesn't have to) be on Spotify, since that's mostly what I use. The album also must be under 80 minutes long.

I'll try to keep the game moving at a decent pace: about one round a week, more or less. The game will move faster as we get to the end, and the first two rounds will probably be the slowest. I can usually get a feel for an album after just one listen, but I might spin it twice or thrice if I get the feeling it needs it (or if I really dig it)

The first and last rounds will be a free-for-all. Basically, you can submit anything that's not banned. After that, each round will have a theme, which will be one of the following:

Something Folksy
Something in French or Russian
Something Electronic
A Concept Album/Rock Opera
Chamber Pop/Folk/Rock

Now, there are some limitations. You cannot submit Classical, American Songbook Jazz/Bebop, Film Scores, Video Game Music, Opera, or Musicals. I love this kind of music, but I have more than enough as it is and I have no trouble finding new stuff. I really like Progressive Rock and Progressive Metal, but I have a lot of it. So they're not banned, per se, but you're going to have a hard time finding something I don't know. 90s/00s Alternative Rock is the same way. And, finally, use your head. Don't send me something super popular like Michael Jackson or Iron Maiden or Journey or Rhianna.

And one more limitation, you cannot submit any artist I've rated two or more albums by on my rym: https://rateyourmusic.com/~Ninjabait. One album is iffy, so ask first. This will also give you some frame of reference for what I like and don't like. I tend to rate more positively, so you could probably get away with anything that's similar to something over 3*.

And, most importantly, have fun!

List of participants:
Cody Cranberry
PeteFromLeads
M.
SantaDalek32

Results:
Round 1: Free-for all

Round 2: ???

Round 3: ???

Round 4: ???

Round 5: ???

Round 6: ???

Final Round: Free-for all

This post has been edited by Ninjabait: Monday, 11:53 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Nov 26 2017, 04:57 PM
Post #2
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Okay sure. I’d love to help with some discoveries even if it ends up being for one round only. smile.gif

Are EP’s allowed?

+Quote Post
Ninjabait
post Nov 26 2017, 05:04 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Regular
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cody Cranberry @ Nov 26 2017, 11:57 AM) *
Okay sure. Id love to help with some discoveries even if it ends up being for one round only. smile.gif

Are EPs allowed?

Depends on the EP, but usually yes. If it's basically an extended Single with several versions of the same song, no.

+Quote Post
Petelehem
post Nov 26 2017, 05:54 PM
Post #4
This lunch tastes like a beat
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Go on then, I'll give this a shot. I might need reminding though wink.gif

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Nov 26 2017, 07:50 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

Hi Blake! ("M." stands for Mattias if you haven't already figured it out~)

Sounds fun, can I play please! Also, the "getting a feel for an album after just one listen" is a weird thing for me, I can do it with some albums (Regina Spektor's latest offering, e.g.) but with other things it's like pls don't ask me what my fav song on the album is after one listen, cos what you'll get is just my best first impression y'know tongue.gif (and in general my favs tend to change around)

+Quote Post
Ninjabait
post Nov 26 2017, 08:32 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Regular
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Nov 26 2017, 12:54 PM) *
Go on then, I'll give this a shot. I might need reminding though wink.gif

I can try, but you might have to remind me to remind you.

QUOTE(M. @ Nov 26 2017, 02:50 PM) *
Hi Blake! ("M." stands for Mattias if you haven't already figured it out~)

Sounds fun, can I play please! Also, the "getting a feel for an album after just one listen" is a weird thing for me, I can do it with some albums (Regina Spektor's latest offering, e.g.) but with other things it's like pls don't ask me what my fav song on the album is after one listen, cos what you'll get is just my best first impression y'know tongue.gif (and in general my favs tend to change around)

Well, for me personally, I've noticed that repeated listens tends to just strengthen my opinion on an album. If I listen to a good album repeatedly, I just end up liking it more, noticing the little details, and becoming more comfortable with the melody. If it's bad, I just end up hating it more. And if it's okay or mediocre, I usually just end up disliking it if I listen to it repeatedly in a short time period because the flaws that keep me from gelling with it become more noticeable. On the other hand, if I space those listens out over a couple of months, the album usually starts to grow on me if it has something I can latch on to. My faves are also fairly consistent: I've had the same favorite band for 8 years and my favorite album was constant for about 7 years until last year. So to each their own I suppose

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 07:04 PM