BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Melanie Martinez accused of raping her ex-best friend
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
RobBob
post Dec 5 2017, 02:50 AM
Post #1
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 7,117

A rather shocking story beginning to unfold about singer Melanie Martinez, who I'm aware has quite a following on Buzzjack aswell. Obviously this is just an accusation at this stage but it will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HarryEzra
post Dec 5 2017, 03:05 AM
Post #2
Lovin', I'm livin', so we turnin' up
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,835

Wow this was a shocking read ohmy.gif Ovbiously innocent until proven guilty but wow.

+Quote Post
Bré
post Dec 5 2017, 03:44 AM
Post #3
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

Wow... this was really hard to read, if this is true (and I don't see any reason to doubt that) that is really unforgivable. :/ Maybe it's just the level of detail involved / the fact this is such an unexpected person to get hit with such allegations but this feels like one of the worst of these stories to come out of the whole #metoo thing. I guess it's a bit reminiscent of the whole PWR BTTM situation from a while back.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Dec 5 2017, 07:20 AM
Post #4
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I'm gutted to hear about this allegation as I'm quite a big fan of Melanie's music. But I'm not leaping to her defence at all as a fan, obviously, that is truly awful to take advantage of your best friend in such a way. That detail paints such a vivid picture and really makes my heart break for this Timothy girl. No is no. I'm glad that the #metoo movement is giving more and more people the courage to tell their story and outing situations like this, because it's really not okay and nobody should get away with it, no matter who they are. Obviously it's an allegation for now but I can't imagine she would make this up.

+Quote Post
Iz
post Dec 5 2017, 07:57 AM
Post #5
benevolent overlord
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(MerryFlynnmas @ Dec 5 2017, 03:05 AM) *
Wow this was a shocking read ohmy.gif Ovbiously innocent until proven guilty but wow.

I agree with you, it's an important legal definition, and I don't think this was your intention but it reads like your first instinct is to remind us of that, Kevin Spacey is still 'innocent until proven guilty' and the court of public opinion has absolutely crucified him, there weren't many people leaping to remind us of that rule in his case. We shouldn't go easier on her in that court because she's a woman.

I know this is a bit hindsight-esque to say but it doesn't actually surprise me. There was always something rather off about her for me, that prevented me from finding anything she did enjoyable. Horrendous for the victim if that account is true.

+Quote Post
lotita.
post Dec 5 2017, 08:06 AM
Post #6
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

Oh god that is absolutely awful sad.gif I hope the victim can find peace, I’m terrified for them as fans can be so rabid

+Quote Post
mdh
post Dec 5 2017, 08:10 AM
Post #7
are you quite done now?
Group: Members
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Yuki On Ice~ @ Dec 5 2017, 07:57 AM) *
There was always something rather off about her for me, that prevented me from finding anything she did enjoyable.

i've wanted to say this since the thread went up but i didn't want to word it incorrectly. i've always felt kind of uncomfortable listening to her music and seeing stuff about her on social media, obviously even now it's hard to put my finger on why - but she's always gave me weird vibes (especially in her music video's)

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post Dec 5 2017, 09:18 AM
Post #8
Fuego!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Shocking! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Jack
post Dec 5 2017, 09:27 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

Completely shocked!

I'm inclined to believe it as well with that level of detail and Melanie Martinez not being exactly a superstar. It could be someone just trying to ruin her life but I will always believe the victim at first. I hope she can find peace, Melanie sounds like the worst kind of person reading that.

+Quote Post
Joe.
post Dec 5 2017, 09:30 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

QUOTE(MerryFlynnmas @ Dec 5 2017, 03:05 AM) *

Harry...

I know this is a bit hindsight-esque to say but it doesn't actually surprise me. There was always something rather off about her for me, that prevented me from finding anything she did enjoyable. Horrendous for the victim if that account is true.

Omg Iz, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this...I was kinda like "hmmm it makes sense"

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Dec 5 2017, 09:38 AM
Post #11
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

I have to agree with Iz and Joe. I’m not surprised at this revelation but I am felt dissapointed. It just makes her whole ‘aesthetic’ even weirder to me. It’s disgusting and I hope she doesn’t get out of this easily

+Quote Post
HarryEzra
post Dec 5 2017, 10:27 AM
Post #12
Lovin', I'm livin', so we turnin' up
Member No.: 20,835

I agree with you, it's an important legal definition, and I don't think this was your intention but it reads like your first instinct is to remind us of that, Kevin Spacey is still 'innocent until proven guilty' and the court of public opinion has absolutely crucified him, there weren't many people leaping to remind us of that rule in his case. We shouldn't go easier on her in that court because she's a woman.

This wasn't my intention at all. Woman or man it obviously it is a awful thing to do to someone. I just meant that she hasn't been actually convicted yet so I don't want to be like 'she is awful' etc because we don't know the full picture yet. I like most is just disappointed if it is true.

+Quote Post
AuraMasterCody
post Dec 5 2017, 03:12 PM
Post #13
Namaste *gong rings*
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

All of this is disgusting. Of course it’s an allegation still and nothing’s been confirmed but the thought is absolutely disgusting and I just feel disappointed in entertainment as a whole. Praying that the victim will get peace.

What I’m more scared of is the absolute slaughter and vitriol she will get from the GP. She’s a massive Tumblr fave and they already went against her and are attacking her fans, so who knows what’s going on elsewhere. Social media seems to be festering with hate.

+Quote Post
AuraMasterCody
post Dec 5 2017, 03:17 PM
Post #14
Namaste *gong rings*
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I’m especially gutted for Jade and Lotti who I know to be really big fans of her.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Dec 5 2017, 05:05 PM
Post #15
Brown cow, stunning!
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I'm shocked and devastated by this, as Rob said I think this is one of the most shocking ones of the whole Me Too thing because i'm a fan, it's woman on woman, and you wouldn't really expect it of her :/ But it just goes to show that abuse and sexual assault can happen to anyone from anyone in many different forms. I'm always inclined to believe the victim personally especially with such a level detail, I can't see who would make up something to this degree, and put themselves through this.

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Dec 5 2017, 06:44 PM
Post #16
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Member No.: 11,421

Really sad to read that! Of course I'm hoping it's not true for the sake of all parties but the level of detail and the fact the account hasn't been sensationalised makes me believe it to be true - even if Melanie didn't realise what the truth of the situation was - and hopefully that would bring some education to the practice of consent.

Also why is everyone saying 'I always knew there was something not right with her' (or along those lines)? Surely the speculation is damaging and there's no obvious pointers in her career that would suggest that imo.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Dec 5 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #17
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

That is truly shocking, I don’t really know much about her, but it highlights how women can also be abusive in a relationship.

However, the term rape cannot actually be applied here if we’re going by the law. The definition of rape by law is a penis entering someone without consent. This is classed as sexual assault but not rape, although I believe there are people lobbying to change that definition.

+Quote Post
Queef of Skreech
post Dec 5 2017, 07:02 PM
Post #18
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

I never liked her and I agree - there was always something 'off' about her for me. The music is awful too. She has a song about a woman with a head made from the potato??

Well, obviously we don't know if it really happened, and Harry is right, but if it is true, then ://

Also, Spacey more or less admitted to it in his words/ apologies the days afterwards, so that's why no one ran to his defence.

+Quote Post
Ninjabait
post Dec 6 2017, 03:08 AM
Post #19
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 22,088
   No Gallery Pics

I'm going to refrain from saying anything about this particular accusation, since the accusation is new and there hasn't been time for any sort of investigation or evidence or confession to corroborate her claims. I'm going to second what Harry said about "innocent until proven guilty", because #MobJustice is becoming an increasingly common, dangerous, and extreme thing, and we need to be careful that we don't jump the gun and potentially end up destroying an innocent person's life. Obviously, I hope this isn't true and it's a terrible thing if it is.

But I will say that it worries me how pervasive sexual assault seems to be in the entertainment industry. When the first accusations started popping up (around the time Bill Cosby got accused for it), I assumed that it was a couple of one-off incidents, but it really seems to be a deeply systemic issue that's in every part of the entertainment industry. Like, even in freaking classical music and opera circles there are accusations being thrown around and reports of sexual assault/harassment being a common occurrence. This isn't anything new either, sadly. Just look at Roman Polanski, and all the crap that's happened with that. It's not even isolated to gender or orientation either, as there's been quite a few men accusing men, men accusing women, and women accusing women. There are some serious issues that the entertainment industry needs to address here, and we need to root out the causes of this "culture" of sexual assault so that we can put a stop to or seriously halt them. The recent accusations made by Terry Crews against Adam Sandler's talent agent and garden gnome in a suit Adam Venit is probably the most worrying so far and a sign of how far we still have to go.

And yes, Kevin Spacey was a different situation. There was a pretty consistent stream of claims since 1993 (!), and he's only actually denied one of them as far as I know. Multiple people were able to confirm some of the stories too, if I remember correctly.

+Quote Post
Iz
post Dec 6 2017, 04:25 AM
Post #20
benevolent overlord
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

Melanie's reponse:

The focus seems to be on that 'never said no' bit which implies that the event we're talking about did happen, and maybe Melanie was pretty awful at assuming consent, or maybe she just went ahead anyway.

With the comment that this is happening too often, it's got to be that the lid is just being blown wide open on something that was commonly accepted for years (groupies) and just what being famous got you.

What I said about her being 'off', I didn't mean it to mean that because of that, she was guilty or that her at times creepy aesthetic was indicative of this. I have had a funny feeling about her since I first heard her music, not that I thought it would lead to this, but with this accusation it makes the whole thing weirder, I just thought she was very weird in a way that was never going to appeal to me.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th July 2018 - 11:18 PM