BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Silence Breakers, TIME Person of the Year 2017
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Christmas Cherry...
post Dec 6 2017, 01:27 PM
Post #1
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

http://time.com/time-person-of-the-year-20...lence-breakers/

TIME Magazine have named all the women and men who broke silence on sexual harassment as Person of the Year, for example through the #MeToo movement. A total "f*** you" moment to Trump as well which is always beautiful

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Dec 6 2017, 01:29 PM
Post #2
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,835

AMAZING PERSON/PEOPLE OF THE YEAR cheer.gif A total middle finger to Trump which is always welcomed *.*

+Quote Post
Slade
post Dec 6 2017, 01:32 PM
Post #3
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I was just creating this topic as well, a wonderful bit of breaking news to witness while in the middle of a dense and gloomy essay! I am thrilled that these acts of courage have amounted to such widespread recognition and shall hopefully help more and more people to come forward, and expose further scumbags of the world who shouldn't be getting away with what they do. A pleasing step up from Trump having this accolade last year.

+Quote Post
Sugarplumberella
post Dec 6 2017, 01:33 PM
Post #4
controlo qualquer um com a minha bruxaria
Member No.: 9,403

!!!!!!!!!

I L O V E T H I S S O M U C H

+Quote Post
dancember
post Dec 6 2017, 01:39 PM
Post #5
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Well deserved, always good to see people get exposed for who they really are, and this was one of the big news stories of the year.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Dec 6 2017, 01:50 PM
Post #6
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

Also that front cover is a work of ART

the power pose!!!!!

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Dec 6 2017, 02:00 PM
Post #7
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

A brilliant cover, a powerful and superb message which is highly symbolic. It's a sad indictment of our society that these kind of abuses were allowed to go on, covered up, dismissed - but I'm sure this goes some way to give hope to those who feel that they have had to suffer alone or in silence for too long.

I hope people don't (inevitably) focus too much on who is on the cover but what the collective actually represents.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Dec 6 2017, 02:17 PM
Post #8
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

QUOTE(Slade @ Dec 6 2017, 01:32 PM) *
A pleasing step up from Trump having this accolade last year.

I'm sure you know this but just in case anyone doesn't, the Person of the Year isn't supposed to be an 'award', they give it to who they feel is the most significant and influential person / people / thing of the year whether it is in a positive or negative way (even Adolf Hitler has been Person of the Year, or Man of the Year as it was at the time). Time magazine is no fan of Trump but it's pretty undeniable that he was the right recipient of it last year.

Having said that, this year it clearly is being given for a positive reason and it's brilliant to see this being acknowledged as a very significant movement this year. And I hope this does piss off Trump especially after his bullshitting about supposedly being 'offered' Person of the Year again and declining (which was of course completely made up).

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Dec 6 2017, 02:36 PM
Post #9
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

SPOT ON!!

+Quote Post
Slade
post Dec 6 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #10
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

QUOTE(Michael Bubré @ Dec 6 2017, 02:17 PM) *
I'm sure you know this but just in case anyone doesn't, the Person of the Year isn't supposed to be an 'award', they give it to who they feel is the most significant and influential person / people / thing of the year whether it is in a positive or negative way (even Adolf Hitler has been Person of the Year, or Man of the Year as it was at the time). Time magazine is no fan of Trump but it's pretty undeniable that he was the right recipient of it last year.

Yeah I am most certainly aware of its purpose and the history of its recipients, it's just nice that such a commendable social change for the better has been chosen to represent this year and I can feel happy about who is gracing the cover of Time magazine. Unlike last year where my thoughts were... oh... THIS is what has been influential this year. Undoubtably so, but nothing to feel celebratory about when I am obviously no supporter of Trump. This is such a powerful and striking cover that makes me feel proud of everyone who had an input in accomplishing such a fast-moving and impactful change. It is refreshing to feel proud and not despairing for the world for once.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Dec 6 2017, 03:02 PM
Post #11
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah, it's great seeing something positive being acknowledged as the most significant event of the year, even if there has been an awful lot of gloom as well, this has been one good thing that's come out of it!

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Dec 6 2017, 03:07 PM
Post #12
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

Where is Rose Mcgowan tho

+Quote Post
Snowblake
post Dec 6 2017, 03:12 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 22,088
   No Gallery Pics

Honestly, this was the best possible choice for PotY. It's good that they're acknowledging the victims of sexual harassment/assault, because coming out and accusing a powerful person of that must be an insanely difficult and scary thing to do.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Dec 6 2017, 03:24 PM
Post #14
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Amazing, in itself an incredible thing and exactly what a Person (People) Of The Year should be, but as a collective middle finger for Trump somehow getting it last year, and his stupid tweets saying he was offered it but turned it down or whatever, it's somehow even better!

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Dec 6 2017, 03:52 PM
Post #15
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

QUOTE(*Tim @ Dec 6 2017, 03:07 PM) *
Where is Rose Mcgowan tho

She's in the article! There are pictures of plenty of other people included who aren't on the front cover.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frřkner
post Dec 6 2017, 04:45 PM
Post #16
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

That’s superb and there’s a great bit of representation of WoC on the cover too. The world has a far too long way to go on consent and sexual abuse but these brave women have really sacrificed a hella lot to take the first step

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Dec 6 2017, 05:25 PM
Post #17
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Looks like I've been overlooked again for Person of the Year, just like I have every year since I last won back in 2006.

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Dec 6 2017, 05:58 PM
Post #18
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Great to see these women win Man (Person) of the Year!

+Quote Post
Riser
post Dec 7 2017, 05:26 AM
Post #19
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

Really really pleased to see this. Up until very recently I figured it'd be Trump's year again (no surprise he's clueless on what this "recognition" means), but by now it's clear 2017 will be remembered for the countless brave women - and men! - speaking out and inspiring other victims to do the same! The Time cover is amazing and will only help to solidify those efforts wub.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 11:37 PM