BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is British TV Racist?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jack
post Dec 10 2017, 11:45 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 223

A controversial subject, and one that is more prominent with black female's I feel.

A look at Alexandra Burke's smear campaign has really saddened me as she should be an obvious front runner and still gets the most ridiculous criticisms I have seen. Deborah on Big Brother was one of the loveliest, down to earth people and still couldn't get better than 3rd. On Love Island, out of 39 female contestants, we didn't get a single black female, the closest was mixed race Montana (who also received ridiculous criticisms towards her end in the show).

Other big shows such as TOWIE, Made In Chelsea and Geordie Shore rarely feature other ethnicities. We're supposed to be in a multi cultural society, but some of the biggest TV shows would have you fooled.

I know you may think I'm being over dramatic, but this article sums it up VERY well - http://www.elleuk.com/life-and-culture/cul...th-black-women/

Discuss.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post Dec 10 2017, 11:57 PM
Post #2
Fuego!
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

I don’t think so.

3rd was good for Deborah though...

+Quote Post
Jack
post Dec 10 2017, 11:59 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend

This post has been edited by Jack: Dec 11 2017, 12:20 AM

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post Dec 11 2017, 12:02 AM
Post #4
Fuego!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Dec 11 2017, 07:22 AM
Post #5
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I think you’re right and it speaks to the true level of racism and white supremacy in the UK. Things aren’t as overt as they are in the US but that doesn’t mean they aren’t there at all

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Dec 11 2017, 09:44 AM
Post #6
Paul Hyett
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Dec 11 2017, 07:22 AM) *
I think you’re right and it speaks to the true level of racism and white supremacy in the UK. Things aren’t as overt as they are in the US but that doesn’t mean they aren’t there at all

I think 'racism and white supremacy' are too strong a term to describe what the OP was discussing, since they tend to invoke images of KKK and Nazis.

However, it is indicative of a kind of 'tribalism' exhibited by virtually all majority ethnic/racial/religious groups, not just by Caucasians.

This post has been edited by vidsanta: Dec 11 2017, 09:45 AM

+Quote Post
mdh
post Dec 11 2017, 10:00 AM
Post #7
are you quite done now?
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

i totally agree with this. just 'cause there isn't a blatantly obvious lack of POC in British TV doesn't mean they're not being underrepresented... like how often do we see Asian males for example on reality TV?

+Quote Post
Midge
post Dec 11 2017, 12:16 PM
Post #8
I just think I'm neat
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

People haven't taken to Alexandra because she comes across as false, fake, whatever. As did Aston. Clearly something to do with the X-Factor PR post-show because they weren't like that on the X-Factor.

+Quote Post
ǝʎʞ
post Dec 11 2017, 12:23 PM
Post #9
• Aesthetic Party •
Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(Lenny @ Dec 11 2017, 12:16 PM) *
People haven't taken to Alexandra because she comes across as false, fake, whatever. As did Aston. Clearly something to do with the X-Factor PR post-show because they weren't like that on the X-Factor.

Who are these ‘people’? She doesn’t come across like that to me at all?
I think what you’ve just said is exactly what Jack is talking about.. funny how you used Aston as your other example.

+Quote Post
Midge
post Dec 11 2017, 12:27 PM
Post #10
I just think I'm neat
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(kye @ Dec 11 2017, 12:23 PM) *
Who are these ‘people’? She doesn’t come across like that to me at all?
I think what you’ve just said is exactly what Jack is talking about.. funny how you used Aston as your other example.

It's merely a coincidence they're both black. I have no doubt it'd have been the same if it was a white former X-Factor contestant. I still like Alexandra, I just find her attitude over-gushy and false. It's not the Alexandra I am used to. Aston was exactly the same. And to be accused of being 'racist' for having this view is utterly ridiculous and IMO is the real problem here laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ǝʎʞ
post Dec 11 2017, 12:36 PM
Post #11
• Aesthetic Party •
Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(Lenny @ Dec 11 2017, 12:27 PM) *
It's merely a coincidence they're both black. I have no doubt it'd have been the same if it was a white former X-Factor contestant. I still like Alexandra, I just find her attitude over-gushy and false. It's not the Alexandra I am used to. Aston was exactly the same. And to be accused of being 'racist' for having this view is utterly ridiculous and IMO is the real problem here laugh.gif

Well, the Alexandra you’re used to hasn’t just lost her Mum? Maybe she’s feeling a little more appreciative and emotional than before?
That’s not taken into account though, is it? She’s “false, fake & ‘over-gushy’”. If it was someone like Mollie whose Mum had died and she was getting emotional every week, people would be enamoured by her and she’d have probably won.

+Quote Post
Midge
post Dec 11 2017, 12:39 PM
Post #12
I just think I'm neat
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(kye @ Dec 11 2017, 12:36 PM) *
Well, the Alexandra you’re used to hasn’t just lost her Mum? Maybe she’s feeling a little more appreciative and emotional than before?
That’s not taken into account though, is it? She’s “false, fake & ‘over-gushy’”. If it was someone like Mollie whose Mum had died and she was getting emotional every week, people would be enamoured by her and she’d have probably won.

Oh I've considered that, but Aston was *exactly* the same...

+Quote Post
Jack
post Dec 11 2017, 12:53 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend

I don't understand why people get so defensive/sensitive when the word 'racist' is brought into it, no need to be defensive if you're not racist.

It's not about being racist in the obvious way, as in you hate all black people or people of a certain ethnicity or w/e. It's about the subconscious, and not realising. In regards to a point made earlier, yes asian people are misrepresented as well - the article spoke specifically about black females and the Alexandra Burke smear campaign is what made me post this.

+Quote Post
Midge
post Dec 11 2017, 12:55 PM
Post #14
I just think I'm neat
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jack @ Dec 11 2017, 12:53 PM) *
I don't understand why people get so defensive/sensitive when the word 'racist' is brought into it, no need to be defensive if you're not racist.

It's irritating when you're accused of racism because your general observations are turned into being all about the colour of someone's skin. Characteristics of an individual have nothing to do with the colour of someone's skin. Alexandra and Aston just HAPPEN to be black.

+Quote Post
Jack
post Dec 11 2017, 01:00 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend

Well, I'm not accusing YOU of racism. If you believe it's just in regards to their characteristics (which as Joe and Kye have pointed out is ridiculous, but let's not get into that) then that's fine.

I do honestly believe if Mollie or Gemma or anyone else was acting the same way, it would be fine. Anyway, it's a wider issue and about the misrepresentation of black females and the issues presented within TV, it's not solely saying that if you dislike Alexandra Burke you're racist.

+Quote Post
Midge
post Dec 11 2017, 01:06 PM
Post #16
I just think I'm neat
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jack @ Dec 11 2017, 01:00 PM) *
Well, I'm not accusing YOU of racism. If you believe it's just in regards to their characteristics (which as Joe and Kye have pointed out is ridiculous, but let's not get into that) then that's fine.

In the three of yours opinion, I’m merely pointing out the opinion of those who aren’t so keen on her who don’t hold racist prejudices. We can have different impressions of people, funnily enough.

+Quote Post
Jack
post Dec 11 2017, 01:10 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Lenny @ Dec 11 2017, 01:06 PM) *
In the three of yours opinion, I’m merely pointing out the opinion of those who aren’t so keen on her who don’t hold racist prejudices. We can have different impressions of people, funnily enough.

+Quote Post
Pus
post Dec 11 2017, 01:12 PM
Post #18
Pus is an exudate, typically white-yellow, yellow, or yellow-bro
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

I still like Alexandra, I just find her attitude over-gushy and false.
I don't watch Strictly but my parents did say she appears to be over competitive and takes her dance performances too seriously but then so do most contestants in the late stages of Strictly.

Also if Alexandra's mother passed away recently that would explain why she seems over serious as my parents think or over-gushy as you think Lenny. So people should stop being so critical.

Oh I've considered that, but Aston was *exactly* the same...

Aston should be beyond your criticism Lenny as he was part of the absolute tune that was 'Money Maker' (with Throttle, and Lunchmoney Lewis) wink.gif

This post has been edited by Snow❄Diploughmat: Dec 11 2017, 01:19 PM

+Quote Post
Joe.
post Dec 11 2017, 01:12 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

I'll paste what I said in the other thread, because the word "racism" is a lot more complex than I think people think, everybody is subconsciously racist sometimes.

I don't think people really understand sometimes that racism is a lot more deep and complex than actively disliking someone of a certain race. Racism is deeply ingrained into our society, and a most of us are subconsciously racist without even realizing now and then, even people of colour themselves often display subtle prejudices to other people of colour. It's something we all need to work on and a way in which society still has a lot of growing to do. There IS a lot of racism attached to Alexandra's personality. If you watch her closely she really doesn't act much different to the other contestants and yes, she's emotional but people calling her "fake" when her mother died like 12 weeks ago is a load of shit.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Dec 11 2017, 02:35 PM
Post #20
Paul Hyett
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

I think the term 'racist' tends to be misused nowadays - it used to have a specific meaning : e.g. prejudice against someone of a difference race than yours, but now it's often used even when the victim is from the *same* race as the culprit. There are plenty of other, more appropriate terms that can be used, 'bigot' or 'xenophobe' for example, so it seems it's often used just for shock value.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st July 2018 - 11:15 AM