BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> changing the past
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ionderella
post Dec 24 2017, 10:08 PM
Post #1
ya ya ya i am lorde
Group: Members
Member No.: 4,397

do you believe you can change the present by changing the past?

countless movies and series battled this and in many people do change the future/present by changing the past. but i'm not convinced. it's such a paradox if you do change something. how can you alter anything by going back if you would never have existed, for example?! i believe everything has already been predetermined and even though it's free will decision, it's something that was supposed to happen. there's no way to compare consequences of two different decisions. and if there were a way to do that it wouldn't matter as it was supposed to happen that way. no matter what we do

i don't think time is linear but there's much more to it than just the whole tired past/present/future thing

Dark spoiler ahead: they seem to share my opinion as everyone stayed well within their original loop doing what they were meant to do during season 1!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iz
post Dec 24 2017, 10:26 PM
Post #2
there must be a penalty
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

The simplest answer to my mind is that if you somehow manage to break through the time barrier and go back to the past, you go to a new world line/alternate timeline and all changes you make are in that new timeline. So if someone had changed the past we'd never know because it's all happening in another world.

all of the best time travel movies/series have some form of this theory, the science-tech-plot devices tends to be more focused on breaking through the parallel worlds than breaking relativity.

So no, in a word.

+Quote Post
Shia LeMuffQueef
post Dec 24 2017, 10:46 PM
Post #3
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

How?

How would that create the impetus for INFINITE energy to create a new INFINITE UNIVERSE?

Some astro and theoretical physicists posited the same thing, but I don't know.

Until now, that question, and the causal effect paradox, in which case a future physicist fires a gun through a portal, killing his past self - who fired the gun? - was solved by being entirely hypothetical.

HOWEVR, recent experiments and maths developments have shown time travel to the past IS THEORETICALLY POSSIBLE - they even managed to move the arrow of time bac by one second. The answer now is, no one knows.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Dec 24 2017, 11:49 PM
Post #4
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Yuki On Ice~ @ Dec 24 2017, 11:26 PM) *
The simplest answer to my mind is that if you somehow manage to break through the time barrier and go back to the past, you go to a new world line/alternate timeline and all changes you make are in that new timeline. So if someone had changed the past we'd never know because it's all happening in another world.

all of the best time travel movies/series have some form of this theory, the science-tech-plot devices tends to be more focused on breaking through the parallel worlds than breaking relativity.

So no, in a word.

Congratulations to you for making it through one time travel-based post without explicitly mentioning Steins;Gate once. You've got more fortitude than me.

+Quote Post
Iz
post Dec 24 2017, 11:53 PM
Post #5
there must be a penalty
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Dec 24 2017, 11:49 PM) *
Congratulations to you for making it through one time travel-based post without explicitly mentioning Steins;Gate once. You've got more fortitude than me.

!

It took so much mental strength not to do it, I spent about a minute editing out references that casually made their way in there.

but yeah, if you want to see time-travel done right, watch that show, guaranteed enjoyment and enlightenment.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Dec 25 2017, 09:30 AM
Post #6
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

If time travel to the past were even possible I’d still be strongly against the idea of altering it in any way. You’ve all seen the implications in the movies etc. and if just rather observe it than change it. And this is coming from someone who wishes they could go back and change things laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post Dec 25 2017, 12:10 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Yuki On Ice~ @ Dec 25 2017, 07:53 AM) *
!

It took so much mental strength not to do it, I spent about a minute editing out references that casually made their way in there.

but yeah, if you want to see time-travel done right, watch that show, guaranteed enjoyment and enlightenment.

And for that matter, the excellent visual novel it's based on which lets you truly get into Okarin's insanity. el psy kongroo

+Quote Post
Somad1990
post Dec 26 2017, 11:37 AM
Post #8
New Entry
Member No.: 56,170
   No Gallery Pics

Yes, i believe that you can change your present by changing past. And there are so many things i would like to change. But this is irrelevant. I would give everything to change only one thing tbh. The thing that literally broke me. My mistake and my behavior. The only thing i can do now is scream and warn people about the way they treat their surrounding. Especially loved ones..

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Dec 26 2017, 12:16 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

Reminds me of that Doctor Who episode where Donna turned left instead of right

+Quote Post
Lindsey 🙃
post Dec 27 2017, 02:07 AM
Post #10
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I saw this thing recently that was like so many people believe that by changing the past it alters the present yet few of us think about what we do in the present having an impact on the future. The whole butterfly effect thing has always been a bit far fetched for me but it does the job in making you realise that things do have a knock on effect. I don't believe that one decision has one outcome though, like you said, time isn't linear and its basically just down to society's obsession with having everything come down to "this" or "that" but life is far too complex for that imo. I used to be so bad for thinking that things happen out of fate or just that they were "meant" to and i guess to a degree the latter is kinda true but i do very much believe we pave our own way and "make our own destiny" so to speak.

For example, going to uni is something I've always seen myself doing and its something I've always wanted to do but when i was applying i didnt get into any of my five choices, didn't even get into my extra choice so at that point the odds of me getting to where i felt i should be weren't really in my favour so i was applying to colleges, my back up was just to take the long way round but then as it had it, i got into a college that is also a university, on a course that suits me way better than the others I'd applied for, it meant i could do my HND then go straight into 3rd year of the degree without having to move unis, take longer to get my degree or reapply to other unis etc so in hindsight i probs would have had that as my top choice. It's funny how things work out, i guess that's why i can be quite laid back when it comes to "big" decisions as i know that whatever happens, something will work out even if its not what I had planned. I do believe that things do happen for a reason though (to an extent), i guess you need to tell yourself that when life throws you a steaming pile of shit though to try and make yourself feel a bit better laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Dec 27 2017, 08:51 AM
Post #11
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

How do you know you not getting into any of the first 5 choices was not predetermined though? ;D

But I get your point about everything working out even if it's not exactly the point of this topic lol. I had pretty much the same thing happen to me, only in reverse. I got everywhere that I applied but actually didn't choose my initial first choice uni that I wanted in the end. It was a rather spontaneous decision too. Things worked out and I now see in hindsight I made the right decision. Of course you never know but I feel that was almost supposed to happen so no point in shoulda woulda couldas

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Dec 27 2017, 12:00 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

This thread reminds me of a book on language that I read earlier this year. Most of us talk about looking ahead to the future and behind to the past. There is one civilisation that does it the other way round. They look "ahead" to the past because you can "see" the past. The future is unknown, so they see that as being behind them.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2018 - 08:02 PM