BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does alcohol help you?, 🍷
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausofTroye
post Jan 6 2018, 06:28 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

This came out of a discussion with other members on here, about Dry January. The question is simple but I think for some it may require a fair bit more thought than initially expected. Do you rely on alcohol? Rely is a strong word, but in the sense of, does alcohol help you when you need it?

This could just be a glass of wine after work to calm you down, or it could be a messy night out to help you destress. Or are you the sort that could go month(s) without alcohol and still be perfectly happy. This isn't to suggest we are alcoholics and that we depend on it, but does it help you feel better or continue your already good mood / something to look forward to?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausofTroye
post Jan 6 2018, 06:30 PM
Post #2
Henrietta R Hippo

For me this is a huge YES. On a fair few evenings mid week, a glass of wine really helps to calm me down and destress (and also sleep better) / shake headaches after stressful days at work. I also think about my nights out every weekend as a motivator throughout the week as a big release and celebration of the work i've done prior to it. If I was to go a short time without having a night out when I needed it, I would get very down in the dumps and feel that my hard work wasn't rewarded so it's essential that when I want to go hard, I can. It helps me celebrate my good moods, but also lift me out of my shitty ones (though they are very rare now as i'm in an amazingly happy place).

+Quote Post
The Snake
post Jan 6 2018, 06:34 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

No alcohol doesn't help me, although I enjoy a nice glass of red wine or whiskey in the winter sometimes (they do tend to be quite warming drinks), although quite rarely and more commonly if the weather is warm a Corona in the summer. I also do sometimes, on some evenings, like to have a nice refreshing glass of cider with a packet of crisps.

This post has been edited by The Snake : Jan 6 2018, 06:35 PM

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 6 2018, 06:39 PM
Post #4
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Yes, definitely laugh.gif Of course not to an alcoholic level but like I have't been out for about a month and I won't be until after exams now, and you feel yourself REALLY wanting it, but idk if that's more the social aspect of just being on a night out, letting loose, rather than the preceding month of doing nothing but stare at lecture notes. Alcohol has to be part of a night out anyway, I end up absolutely hating the night if I'm too sober, I just stand there in the club like why am I here why is all this music so utterly shite drama.gif It loosens me up a bit, I am more than responsible enough to know my limits and stay within that boundary where you're loosened up but not off your face. I'm a bit more social around the inevitable random new people who'll be at a pres in someone else's house for example, otherwise i'd awkwardly be in the corner laugh.gif

Even without going out though, I agree just having like a glass of wine or whatever sometimes is REALLY needed, no different to other people being like "I'll buy myself this DVD" "I treated myself to a top" really. You just get those moments where it's the one thing you want when you've had a shit day or week.

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Jan 6 2018, 06:40 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

I do enjoy a beer or a glass of wine but alcohol doesn't help me at all. It brings me down to a level it can completely mess up a whole weekend.

+Quote Post
Lindsey 🙃
post Jan 6 2018, 06:45 PM
Post #6
oh shit
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I dont drink that much, only in a social sense but yea I'd say it does help me because I can be very awkward and nervous, especially meeting people for the first time so a couple of vodkas does tend to ease those feelings a bit and make me generally better at talking to people :') I dont rely on it in a way where I wont go out if it doesn't involve drinking but I'd probably prefer going for a couple of drinks as opposed to something else if its with people idk that well or even like some of you guys if I hadn't met you in person before, i always feel closer to people if I've had messy night outs with them as that tends to be when you see people fully unfiltered almost. I never used to be that keen on nights out and if I was drinking I'd prefer a chill night at someone's house or the pub but over the past year or so Ive been really looking forward to them and feel as though I do need them if I've been under a lot of stress or haven't seen people for a while, its v much a release like you said Bal.

+Quote Post
Midge
post Jan 6 2018, 06:55 PM
Post #7
I just think I'm neat
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

Every now and then at home if Iím bored or down. It isnít often.

I do like it in social settings, Iím quite shy/introvert in big social situations and it helps me come out of my shell.

+Quote Post
M.
post Jan 6 2018, 07:05 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

ok this will be long and slightly sad, I apologize. Sometimes a good ol' confessional is good though.

To a certain extent.. I like drinking and I enjoy getting drunk and it certainly helps me to feel really positive emotions from time to time. HOWEVER. I have blurted out here several times that I just don't really have drinking buddies as a result of my social awkwardness and shyness so I'm often stuck drinking alone in my house. Even on NYE I just got one small bottle of Prosecco and drank it alone lmao. I did feel sad about not having anyone to be with irl when the clock struck 12, but later at 1.30 am my drunk bf came to visit me and that was good.

I do have a couple of other friends irl but one of them I don't get to see much and the other doesn't drink / go out. He's also never had another friend apart from me, so he could never introduce me to people or anything. And I tend to be nervous and melancholic at uni so haven't rly connected with anyone enough to make friends, it doesn't help that I only have to go in once a week tongue.gif

I've never had what you'd call a REALLY messy night out (and don't get me started on nightclubs lmao, never been in one), I've gone on a few nights out to bars / pubs before, for the most part with whomever I was dating at the time + one or two other people with us. And I'm too shy about trying to go on a night out ALONE lmao.

+Quote Post
JosephSivan
post Jan 6 2018, 09:26 PM
Post #9
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

I could live without alcohol really but it's a nice treat at the weekends I find. I'm pretty restrained anyway, one glass will last me the whole night and only on rare occasions will I have a top up! To answer the question, it doesn't help me as such but it's just a nice way to celebrate the weekend or a special occasion.

+Quote Post
Shandy Leer
post Jan 6 2018, 09:27 PM
Post #10
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

Yes

+Quote Post
JŁpiter
post Jan 6 2018, 09:34 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

I occasionally will have a wine for fun but not so often. I do binge drink a bit when I go out but... part of that is my culture and what I'm used to, and I don't go so far as some people.

I definitely drink less than my parents who have alcohol every night, I was a bit actually surprised when I visited them most recently and realised that.

As for does it help, well... I find certain drinks do different things to me. Often alcohol makes me really introspective and thoughtful which is more often than not, not a great thing. I've never got the euphoria and excess energy some people get from it, I assume, from what I'd see in clubs and that. Drinks while sitting talking, watching tv with friends, or at a party are the best way of drinking for myself.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Jan 6 2018, 09:38 PM
Post #12
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

It does in social situations when I'm out with friends, I do pretty much drink to excess most weekends but I'm OK with it because I'm one of the lucky ones who can enjoy things that are bad for me in moderation without having a dependency on it or letting it affect my everyday life.

One thing I have found in recent times though is if I cross that borderline to "messy", I tend to get really emotional and deep and may end up crying about something that's playing on my mind. laugh.gif (But I'm never horrible, and usually fun).

+Quote Post
Midge
post Jan 6 2018, 09:41 PM
Post #13
I just think I'm neat
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Jan 6 2018, 09:38 PM) *
It does in social situations when I'm out with friends, I do pretty much drink to excess most weekends but I'm OK with it because I'm one of the lucky ones who can enjoy things that are bad for me in moderation without having a dependency on it or letting it affect my everyday life.

One thing I have found in recent times though is if I cross that borderline to "messy", I tend to get really emotional and deep and may end up crying about something that's playing on my mind. laugh.gif (But I'm never horrible, and usually fun).

I relate to all of this! On the 'messy' front it's either that, or I decide I'm going to start pushing my luck (usually with things that have been playing on my sober mind, or subconsciously).

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Jan 6 2018, 09:47 PM
Post #14
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

I don't ever need alcohol but there are (quite rare) occasions where I do have an evening drink at home if I've had a really shitty day at work or maybe a trip to the local with Mr D* to put the days events to rights.

Aside from that, I'm sometimes quite shy dependent upon my mood and meeting a group of people when alcohol is involved definitely can ease a situation and make me feel more at ease talking to new people. Often I'm fine but sometimes I'm just not in the mood! The downside of alcohol is that it does accentuate my traits and sometimes people can take them the wrong way - people I know totally get me and they know my "Waitrose-esque" tendencies aren't intended to be dismissive of anyone who doesn't agree and that I like pretty much everyone, but I know with alcohol I can probably be OTT with them and potentially offend people. It either goes one of two ways, people find it hilarious and get it or people just think I'm a plonker.

+Quote Post
...ready for it
post Jan 6 2018, 10:03 PM
Post #15
Is it cool that I said all that?
Member No.: 1,454

It makes things worse for me, I stay away from it.

+Quote Post
Ninjabait
post Jan 7 2018, 02:57 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 22,088
   No Gallery Pics

No, definitely not. The only alcoholic beverage I've had is a little bit of red wine (which I didn't care for, it was too bitter for my taste). I don't actively go out of my way to avoid drinking, but I just don't have any reason to do it. I don't really care for most places where social drinking is a thing, since clubbing/dancing/bars was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars. I don't really think about it when I'm at the grocery store, or if I'm out having dinner or something, I'll usually get a sweet tea or something for the drink (my Southerner is showing). I just have no desire to do drink.

But I've been meaning to try to go to a wine tasting or something to at least try it and know what I'd like, I just haven't had the time or an opportunity.

+Quote Post
Jacob~
post Jan 7 2018, 02:58 AM
Post #17
Jacob Alan~
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

Not really, I don't find myself wanting or needing it at any point when I'm not with other people who are also drinking. I'm happy to have it socially, I'm also a bit of a lightweight and apparently I have no idea about how much is my limit (as some of you may know oops x) but the reason for that genuinely is because I'm not experienced with drinking haha, I never really drank much as a teen. I don't tend to have any on a typical week, don't mind one now and again but it's quite normal for me to go for weeks without it and before maybe last year I'd go without it for months. I do have it a bit more now because I go out with friends to open mics or just to pubs a bit more and it makes sense socially.

Drink of choice is rum tho, closely followed by cider- tend to be more into the apple and pear ones these days but used to love berry ones (still like them but they're a bit too sweet for me now).

+Quote Post
dhwe
post Jan 7 2018, 04:07 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,384

when i was like 19 or 20 yeah i would problem drink a lot. at 23 i have to be in the mood for it bc im tired of feeling like shit after. nowadays i mostly rely on **** when i am stressed, which is always

This post has been edited by dhwe: Jan 7 2018, 04:09 AM

+Quote Post
HausofTroye
post Jan 7 2018, 03:11 PM
Post #19
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(Ninjabait @ Jan 7 2018, 02:57 AM) *
No, definitely not. The only alcoholic beverage I've had is a little bit of red wine (which I didn't care for, it was too bitter for my taste). I don't actively go out of my way to avoid drinking, but I just don't have any reason to do it. I don't really care for most places where social drinking is a thing, since clubbing/dancing/bars was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars. I don't really think about it when I'm at the grocery store, or if I'm out having dinner or something, I'll usually get a sweet tea or something for the drink (my Southerner is showing). I just have no desire to do drink.

But I've been meaning to try to go to a wine tasting or something to at least try it and know what I'd like, I just haven't had the time or an opportunity.

What red wine did you have if you can remember? They are not all bitter! Some are really dull and mellow and go amazingly with food. Worth experimenting with different ones as you've said, but don't be put off by one bad experience.

In other news, alcohol does not help me, I hate it and it's the DEVIL'S LIQUID. A morning after is not the one sad.gif

+Quote Post
Ninjabait
post Jan 7 2018, 04:09 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 22,088
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HausAlone @ Jan 7 2018, 10:11 AM) *
What red wine did you have if you can remember? They are not all bitter! Some are really dull and mellow and go amazingly with food. Worth experimenting with different ones as you've said, but don't be put off by one bad experience.

In other news, alcohol does not help me, I hate it and it's the DEVIL'S LIQUID. A morning after is not the one sad.gif

I don't think I saw what type of red wine it was, and it was almost a year ago so I don't remember. It was for a reunion dinner for a small play I was a part of the tech crew for, so it probably was probably on the relatively cheaper $10-100 side of things. And yeah, I haven't been put off by it, it just made me realize that I'd probably prefer sweeter wines (I do have a big sweet tooth).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th January 2018 - 07:39 PM