BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Needing advice
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
cqmerqn
post Jan 8 2018, 08:18 PM
Post #1
lotita 4ever
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Ok so last year I needed help re starting my apprenticeship but now I need help re leaving. Time flies mellow.gif

Basically, I finish this apprenticeship in early March-ish. I am going to look into a getting a full time job but I canít work until 18 which would mean Iíd have to wait for 4 months before I can even consider applying for jobs! Iíve asked if the apprenticeship can be extended so that I can make a smooth transition without having to stay at home for months.. but I canít.

I just donít get the legal stuff. Do I have to be doing something until Iím 18? Like do I have to be in full time education? I have nothing to do until Iím 18.. so I literally have no idea what to do once I leave laugh.gif

Currently working in the public sector and plan to stay exactly where I am, but I donít know what to do.

I hope Iíve made it clear what Iím trying to ask bc when I read it back it doesnít mean sense unsure.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Midge
post Jan 8 2018, 08:20 PM
Post #2
I just think I'm neat
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

As long as youíre 16+ you should be fine providing the job doesnít require you being 18+ (such as where youíd be selling alcohol or cigarettes)

+Quote Post
lotita.
post Jan 8 2018, 08:21 PM
Post #3
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

maybe work part time in between? you can work at most supermarkets from 16 onwards so you'd be fine, earning a bit of money and at least you'll be able to enter the right full time job with a bit more time on your side if needed!

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post Jan 8 2018, 10:53 PM
Post #4
lotita 4ever
   No Gallery Pics

I suppose I could do that

Ugh why is being 17 such a pain

+Quote Post
5 Silas FrÝkner
post Jan 9 2018, 08:21 PM
Post #5
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

After 16 you don't have to be in full time education at all.

Lotti's suggestion is probably the best. It'll give you continued work history which is good for when you're applying for jobs. For some reason it tends to be easier to find a job when you already have one (speaking from experience here). Plus it puts you under less pressure to find something immediately when you turn 18.

It's a different work environment with some different skills that you can use when applying for your next job. Transferrable skills are really valuable to employers. Working retail and showing skills like cash handling (working a checkout) is a measure of trustworthiness.

I would have expected you to be able to get a job without needing to be 18 though

+Quote Post
Cucumberella
post Jan 9 2018, 10:01 PM
Post #6
controlo qualquer um com a minha bruxaria
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9,403

i agree with having SOMETHING to fill the gaps - even if it's something like training etc. that you can find because not only will future jobs want you to actually have done something but they'll want you to evidence it, whether it be work, training or benefit entitlement.

+Quote Post
Midge
post Jan 9 2018, 10:29 PM
Post #7
I just think I'm neat
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

Yes - definitely don't sit on your backside for those few months if you can't work for them (I'm still confused as to why, I didn't realise there was something that stopped under 18s working, in this country anyway?)

I'm off work myself at the moment - finished a project in November; am going away to Australia for 5 weeks in March so didn't want to get a new permanent job in the mean time. Unfortunately there is literally no temp work suited to my expertise at the moment (there is temp work but I'd have to drop to basic wage and do something basic) - so instead I found some courses online that will add to my skill set and will put them to use during my time off - in turn this should help my long term prospects. Perhaps you could look at doing something like that? What was your apprenticeship in?

This post has been edited by Midge: Jan 9 2018, 10:30 PM

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post Jan 10 2018, 05:48 PM
Post #8
lotita 4ever
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks people! magic.gif

Iíve applied for a couple of jobs within the same trust. Probably wonít get them but I need interview experience anyway tongue.gif

QUOTE(Midge @ Jan 9 2018, 10:29 PM) *
Yes - definitely don't sit on your backside for those few months if you can't work for them (I'm still confused as to why, I didn't realise there was something that stopped under 18s working, in this country anyway?)

I'm off work myself at the moment - finished a project in November; am going away to Australia for 5 weeks in March so didn't want to get a new permanent job in the mean time. Unfortunately there is literally no temp work suited to my expertise at the moment (there is temp work but I'd have to drop to basic wage and do something basic) - so instead I found some courses online that will add to my skill set and will put them to use during my time off - in turn this should help my long term prospects. Perhaps you could look at doing something like that? What was your apprenticeship in?

It was in Administration. I think it is well suited to me so thatís what Iíve applied for! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Theo.
post Jan 10 2018, 07:00 PM
Post #9
IDGAF
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 8,661

Do you work for the NHS cqmerqn??

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post Jan 10 2018, 11:54 PM
Post #10
lotita 4ever
   No Gallery Pics

Ya

+Quote Post
Theo.
post Jan 11 2018, 07:48 AM
Post #11
IDGAF
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 8,661

Ah cool! I may be doing a similar job to you then! I work in admin too but for an agency and there are a lot of apprentices in my department. The annoying thing is they get paid more than me despite being a band lower.

I definitely think you would have an advantage if you interview for a permanent position, the apprentices always seem to be training and there will be so many different systems that you have to learn for your position too.

Good luck if you do apply!

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post Jan 11 2018, 12:15 PM
Post #12
lotita 4ever
   No Gallery Pics

Oh that sucks! The hourly rate around here is about £3.40

Thanks

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th February 2018 - 02:07 AM