Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> TV Shows you watched in 2017, Post your lists!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jay ☆
post Jan 10 2018, 10:39 PM
Post #1
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

cheer.gif Post your lists of the TV shows you watched in 2017!

If you like, you can share thoughts on the shows you've seen and whether you'd recommend others checking them out.

I really had to rack my brains to recall all of these... I don't think I've missed any out! I'll have to make sure to make a note of everything I watch this year. cool2.gif

Note: I'm choosing not to include any soaps / reality TV in my list, but you guys can if you wish.

TV shows I watched in 2017:

These are the season(s) of the above shows I watched throughout 2017, as well as the TV channels/streaming platforms I watched it on:

13 Reasons Why (Season 1) [Netflix]
The 100 (Season 4) *
American Vandal (Season 1) [Netflix]
Big Little Lies (Season 1) [Now TV]
Big Mouth (Season 1) [Netflix]
Black Lake (Series 1) [BBC iPlayer]
Born to Kill (Series 1) [Channel 4]
Chewing Gum (Series 2) [All 4]
Doctor Foster (Series 1 & 2) [BBC iPlayer]
Fear the Walking Dead (Season 3) *
The Fosters (Season 1, 2, 3, 4 & first half of Season 5) *
The Good Place (Season 1 & the first eight episodes of Season 2) [Netflix]
Lady Dynamite (Season 1) [Netflix]
Loves, Lies & Records (Series 1) [BBC iPlayer]
Man in an Orange Shirt (Mini-series) [BBC iPlayer]
Overshadowed (Mini-series) [BBC iPlayer: BBC Three]
Riverdale (Season 1 & the first nine episodes of Season 2) [Netflix]
The Sinner (Mini-series) [Netflix]
Skam (Season 1, 2, 3 & 4) *
Stranger Things (Season 2) [Netflix]
Teen Wolf (Season 1, 2 & 3A) [DVD]
Timeless (Season 1) [All 4]
The Walking Dead (Second half of Season 7 & first half of Season 8) [Now TV]
When We Rise (Mini-series) *

* I watched these via online hosting sites, due to lack of availability in the UK (Although when it comes to The 100, I was too impatient to wait to watch it at UK pace, oops!)

If you're interested to read more about a certain show, you can click the pictures above and it'll direct you to their IMDb pages!

I actually really enjoyed the vast majority of what I've listed above. It was a fantastic year for TV! I assume many of us have seen Stranger Things and 13 Reasons Why, but if you haven't... you simply must! *.* 13 Reasons Why was very hard-hitting, at points difficult to watch - but considering it's tackling a difficult subject matter, it's a very entertaining series - a must watch. I have a huge amount of affection for Stranger Things; I'd already regard it as being one of my favourite TV shows of all time. wub.gif For me it's sci-fi done at its compelling best.

I would strongly recommend Big Little Lies and The Sinner if you're looking for a great drama series. They're both very different to each other plot-wise, but what they do have in common is that they have strong female leads, they're extremely well written and they make for very compulsive viewing!

I found Timeless to be a really fun watch, imo it deserves more attention! It's a time travel sci-fi series. "It follows the adventures of history professor Lucy Preston (Abigail Spencer), scientist Rufus Carlin (Malcolm Barrett) and soldier Wyatt Logan (Matt Lanter) as they attempt to stop Garcia Flynn (Goran Višnjić) from changing the course of American history through time travel.". Can't wait for Season 2!

The Fosters has been airing in the US since 2013, but I only stumbled upon it this year after seeing a Tumblr gif set and being intrigued. Unfortunately it's not available at all in the UK, so I had to turn to online hosting sites to view it! "The Fosters is an American family drama. It follows the lives of the Foster family led by lesbian couple Stef and Lena, a cop and school vice principal, respectively, who raise one biological and four adopted children in San Diego, California." I binge-watched 90 episodes of it within three weeks in the summer! It has quite a soapy feel-good factor to it, but it tackles an array of issues in entertaining but sensitive ways, including LGBT issues and the foster care system.

Skam was a truly fantastic show - one of the most realistic and honest portrayals of teenage life, covering a wide range of issues including sexuality, religion, mental health and eating disorders. Unfortunately it's only available to watch via online hosting, with subtitles translated by fans of the show, but it's well worth checking out.

When it comes to comedies, Big Mouth was a pleasant surprise. It's incredibly lewd so it's not for the faint-hearted amongst you, but I found it to be extremely funny and actually rather relatable (after all, we've all had to suffer the difficult years of adolescence drama.gif ).

American Vandal was another revelation. I wasn't sure what to expect out of a mockumentary based on true crime, but what transpired was something incredibly engrossing - even with its rather absurd premise! laugh.gif

Honestly, the only show I'd suggest you all give a miss from the above list is the Nordic noir Black Lake. Despite the 6 hours running time across 8 episodes, I never felt emotionally invested in any of the characters whatsoever, and it was ultimately a lot more daft than it was creepy. Avoid it!

IMDb Scores (out of 10):

9.0 - Stranger Things
8.8 - Skam
8.6 - Big Little Lies
8.5 - The Walking Dead (I'd agree with the score based on the earlier seasons, but it's severely dipped in quality across the past couple of seasons... sad.gif )
8.3 - 13 Reasons Why
8.2 - American Vandal
8.1 - Big Mouth
8.1 - Man in an Orange Shirt
8.0 - The Sinner
7.9 - The Fosters
7.9 - The Good Place
7.8 - The 100
7.8 - Doctor Foster
7.8 - Riverdale
7.7 - Chewing Gum
7.7 - Teen Wolf
7.6 - Lady Dynamite
7.6 - Timeless
7.5 - Overshadowed
7.3 - Born to Kill
7.2 - When We Rise
7.0 - Fear the Walking Dead (Admittedly the first couple of seasons are patchy, but I really feel like it's hit its stride in Season 3 and is currently superior to The Walking Dead!)
7.0 - Love, Lies & Records
6.2 - Black Lake
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jan 10 2018, 10:55 PM
Post #2
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 8,661

I love your use of the official logos in the OP! wub.gif

Of those that I have seen, Love, Lies and Records was by FAR the worst! How on earth it managed a 7.0 average on IMDB I do not know!

My list off the top of my head:

13 Reasons Why
Born to Kill
Cold Feet
Doctor Who
The Fosters
Girl Boss
How to Get Away with Murder
Love, Lies and Records
The Mindy Project
Modern Family
The Moorside
New Girl
Orange Is the New Black
Stranger Things
Three Girls

And possibly more kink.gif Controversially, I think OITNB was my favourite series of 2017! I liked the slight change of format and it didn't feel like it had the usual mid series slump that the previous seasons had suffered. 13 Reasons Why was probably my favourite new series although I really enjoyed Girl Boss too and was sad to hear it hadn't been renewed for another series.
+Quote Post
post Jan 10 2018, 11:18 PM
Post #3
no reason to stay is a good reason to go
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

Yes, a beautifully formatted first post there Jay *.* Here's my list (I'll include soaps but not reality shows as that's for another forum):

13 Reasons Why (I watched the first three episodes only, I find the concept difficult but it was executed rather well I guess)
Cold Feet (as someone who's not seen the original series, I've really enjoyed the revival and the second comeback series continued the high quality of the first)
Coronation Street (well and truly back on form, it's must-watch TV again and now my favourite soap after a little while of preferring EastEnders and Emmerdale)
Doctor Who (a brilliant final series for Capaldi and Moffat, with Bill being the most likeable companion since Donna 9 years before. The finale was superb, among the best Nu Who episodes)
EastEnders (a largely terrible year, picked up at Christmas but it really hasn't been vintage)
Emmerdale (as consistent as always!)
Mrs Brown's Boys (I don't get the hate, the Xmas specials were as enjoyable as always!)
Riverdale (after the dull first episode almost put me off, I've finally been converted to a fan, incredibly watchable even if it's a little bit ridiculous)
Scandal (continued watching, been a fan for a while, I enjoyed season 6 even if it was rather messy at times, and season 7 is off to a good start)
Stranger Things (it took me a while to get round to this in the end but it really is great, mostly for the characters)
Teen Wolf (my OBSESSION of 2017, I binge-watched the first 5 and a half seasons in two weeks and of course, the final half of season 6 was a fitting end to the show. Likeable cast, interesting storylines, it ticks all the right boxes for me, most I've enjoyed a show in a LONG time)
The Good Place (brilliant, so funny throughout with a likeable cast and a fantastic plot!)
The 100 (watched the first four seasons for the first time and really enjoyed)

I may end up adding more as I remember them, but I think that just about covers it. More new shows than usual for sure, thanks to us now having a Netflix subscription at home.
+Quote Post
No Sleeep
post Jan 11 2018, 11:29 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 22,008
   No Gallery Pics

Feud: Bette and Joan - My TV highlight of the year. Amazing wub.gif
The Good Place - Best comedy of the decade! So funny. I missed shows like this, it kinda reminds me of Pushing Daisies and Dead Like Me
Girlboss - Shouldn't have been cancelled. I love that it's set in the mid-00s, it makes me so nostalgic cry.gif
Grey's Anatomy - Still amazing!
Party of Five - Slowly watching this on Netflix. I'm on season 2. JLH wub.gif
Nashville - Season 5 is amazing, Rayna's death is one of the saddest moments ever, I cried cry.gif
American Horror Story (Roanoke and Cult) - Haven't finished Cult. Both seasons started really well but went off the rails when they stopped focusing on the original couple (Shelby & Matt, Ally & Ivy)
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - So underrated!
Grace and Frankie - Just started this, really liking it. Great cast
The Sinner - Great miniseries
Orange is the New Black - This season really disappointed me, it took me months to finish instead of a weekend
13 Reasons Why - Good but overrated
Orphan Black - How did I miss this for so long!?
How to Get Away with Murder - Wes cry.gif
Empire - Going downhill tbh cry.gif
Stranger Things - 80s. Winona Ryder wub.gif
American Gods - Love wub.gif

I'm dying to watch Big Little Lies - Nicole and Reese wub.gif

This post has been edited by No Sleeep: Jan 16 2018, 12:00 AM
+Quote Post
post Jan 12 2018, 05:30 PM
Post #5
Member No.: 9,872
   No Gallery Pics

In order of preference and rated out of 10

10 - Twin Peaks - The Return - Absolutely stunning and it still has me pondering things even now. And probably for another 20 odd years
10 - The Handmaid's Tale - Best new show by miles and one of the best acted things I've ever seen on TV
10 - Black Mirror - Always really smart and really well made
10 - Stranger Things 2 - Doesn't have the all new 'wow' factor of season 1 but builds on it well
09 - Game Of Thrones - A bit disjointed and felt much was glossed over but when it's good it is amazing
09 - Black Sails - Highly impressive final season and Captain Flint is one of the most nuanced and complex characters I've seen on TV in years
08 - The Sinner - superbly acted miniseries that's not so much a whodunnit but a why did they do it
08 - The Man In The High Castle Strong second season
08 - The Orville - Didn't think I'd like this but it is delightful. A true love letter to Star Trek: TNG, frequently surprisingly good and not as puerile as I feared.
07 - Gotham - The shows best season yet. Still a few wrinkles and it's embracing its comic book background better each year. Looks glorious too
07 - Vikings - Struggling to find direction without its exceptional former leading man and the script is still overbearing at times but a solid season
07- The Expanse - Started season 2 so well but dipped towards the end
07 - The Punisher - Best marvel show for a while
07 - Star Trek Discovery - It is Star Trek but doesn't often feel like it. Good show, terrible Kingons
07 - Fear The Walking Dead - Growing stronger with each season and better than TWD but dipped after a great mid season
07 - Arrow - Return to past strengths but not a show I'd ever take too seriously. Great crossover episodes
07 - The Strain - Final season tied it all up satisfyingly but a shadow of it's excellent debut season
06 - The Flash - Weaker than before, but the crossover was good
06 - Doctor Who - Disappointing swansong for a great Doctor let down by uninspiring scripts and stories
05 - The Exorcist - It's ok but became a bit boring midway
05 - Legends Of Tomorrow - Great characters and some fun ideas but beginning to lose interest
04 - The Walking Dead - Parody of its former self. May give up soon
04 - Defenders - Jessica Jones is brilliant, the rest have their merits but this was dull except when they were snarking at each other
03 - The Mist - Uninspiring but passed the time

+Quote Post
post Jan 15 2018, 11:44 PM
Post #6
I wanna walk through the park in the dark
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

In no particular order:

The Moorside
Decline And Fall
Three Girls
The Durrells
The A Word
Westworld (Alas, I suddenly stopped at Episode 7. Haven't seen it since like February)
Doctor Who
Father Ted
Mock The Week
Have I Got News For You
That game show involving links (I forgot its name. And no, It's not The Weakest Link.)
The Chase [?]
Tipping Point [?]
Rick And Morty (I became a fan of this show before the crazes involving Schezuan Sauce and "I'M PICKLE RICK!")
Gravity Falls
Samurai Jack
Not Going Out
Tracey Ullman's Show
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Tracey Breaks The News
Two And A Half Men
Mrs Brown's Boys
The Big Bang Theory
Miranda (Such fun!)
Death Note
Grace And Frankie
Horrible Histories
The Simpsons
Family Guy
Bob's Burgers
The Amazing World Of Gumball (Managed to watch every episode of the show this year.)
Regular Show
Adventure Time
We Bare Bears
Harvey Beaks
The Loud House
Star Vs. The Forces Of Evil
Milo Murphy's Law
OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Welcome To The Wayne
Invader ZIM
Fairly OddParents
SpongeBob SquarePants
The Grim Adventures Of Billy And Mandy
Evil Con Carne

Update: Forgot to add The A Word

This post has been edited by DalekTurret32: Jan 28 2018, 11:07 PM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd March 2018 - 12:19 AM